The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It makes total sense, because 90% of people don’t give a sh!t who their carrier is as long as they get the best rate. So 15 minutes saving you 15%, name your price tool, etc. are very appealing to people. 

I work tangentially in the insurance industry, and I can tell you that over the years, multiple dozens of my clients have told me they have GEICO 100% because of those 15 minutes to save 15% commercials. 

I have a buddy that is a stenographer and he talks about different companies having different strategies as far as going to bat for their customers.  I may be remembering it incorrectly but he told me that Geico is one that doesn't settle easily compared to others.  Do you have any insight into that?

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

I have a buddy that is a stenographer and he talks about different companies having different strategies as far as going to bat for their customers.  I may be remembering it incorrectly but he told me that Geico is one that doesn't settle easily compared to others.  Do you have any insight into that?

I have a lot of insight into that. They are the first or second most difficult company for me, as a Plaintiff’s attorney, to negotiate a settlement. Allstate is the other one. 

From my perspective, though, that doesn’t help you as a policyholder. All they are doing is exposing you personally. Whether they pay $5 or $100k is irrelevant to you as the customer, as long as it’s settled within the policy limits. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I have a lot of insight into that. They are the first or second most difficult company for me, as a Plaintiff’s attorney, to negotiate a settlement. Allstate is the other one. 

From my perspective, though, that doesn’t help you as a policyholder. All they are doing is exposing you personally. Whether they pay $5 or $100k is irrelevant to you as the customer, as long as it’s settled within the policy limits. 

Right, he was saying they really put the customer through the wringer with depositions.  No one likes being deposed.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I've also heard about GEICO and especially Allstate being tough to deal with in terms of settlements.

Personally, I just go with the cheapest rates with the coverage that I need.  Typically that is either one of GEICO, Progressive or NJM.

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It makes total sense, because 90% of people don’t give a sh!t who their carrier is as long as they get the best rate. So 15 minutes saving you 15%, name your price tool, etc. are very appealing to people. 

I work tangentially in the insurance industry, and I can tell you that over the years, multiple dozens of my clients have told me they have GEICO 100% because of those 15 minutes to save 15% commercials. 

If it didn't work on the masses, then they wouldn't do it.  To be honest, you probably won't even notice the ads on the jerseys during 90% of the broadcasts (only during closeups and interviews) and when attending the games in person.  But that isn't why I hate this idea.  It's the further opening of Pandora's Box that will eventually lead to the uniform becoming a giant billboard (i.e. European teams) and players giving interviews like Nascar drivers that bothers me.  Also, putting a blue ad (Prudential) on a red Devils sweater just looks bad but they will want the ads to stand apart and not blend, so I am definitely expecting that to happen. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And it drives up the customer's insurance loss runs the more money is spent on litigation, whether it be attorneys fees or settlement payments.  That equates to higher insurance premiums for your renewal policy.

Completely agree.  Allstate is by far the worst.  Geico is definitely second worst.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I've also heard about GEICO and especially Allstate being tough to deal with in terms of settlements.

Personally, I just go with the cheapest rates with the coverage that I need.  Typically that is either one of GEICO, Progressive or NJM.

NJM is, hands down, the best insurance company in NJ from a customer service perspective.  I have them for home and auto and wouldn't change no matter how much lower Allstate quotes me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Right, he was saying they really put the customer through the wringer with depositions.  No one likes being deposed.

My boss is doing a deposition as we speak in a case where the person was killed in the accident, and there’s only $100,000 in insurance. They haven’t offered a penny. We’re getting to the point where if it’s offered, we might refuse to accept it and place the Defendant in jeopardy of having to satisfy an excess judgment out of his pocket. 

I’m sure that guy is annoyed right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

And it drives up the customer's insurance loss runs the more money is spent on litigation, whether it be attorneys fees or settlement payments.  That equates to higher insurance premiums for your renewal policy.

Completely agree.  Allstate is by far the worst.  Geico is definitely second worst.

Correct. I have a bit of a rapport with a couple of attorneys at Allstate and Geico both, but that doesn’t help. They alternate between being my least favorite companies, based solely on which one is breaking my balls the most at any given moment. 

20 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

As a small aside, the advertising industry has always struck me as weird to me.

What I mean is that I don't understand why a good chunk of it exists in the first place.  If a company or brand is coming out with a new product or feature, then I can see the effectiveness of the advertisement.  However, a large chunk of advertisements are there for the sake of being there.  An example is say an advertisement for Coca-Cola.  You see ads all around to "Drink Coke" or "Always Coca-Cola" for a product that has been out for 100+ years that you can literally at almost every store and restaurant in the world.  It really is just another permutation of saying "keep buying what you have been buying."  For these kind of ads, how many people are they convincing in a world where we are bombarded by so many to begin with that we often tune them out?  It's to the point where I am pretty sure the industry is still for the sake of keeping jobs.

I felt like this too for awhile and I admit that it is weird from that angle.

I guess a good way to frame it is that there's different "groups" i guess when it comes to target audience. Like for example you have the hardcore fans... some people don't need ads to buy this specific product. They are die hard... coke... apple products... Honda.... Mcdonalds...etc etc they are committed. So to your point, you're right that its weird cause you're like "you don't need to shove this down my t throat, i'll do it myself, im already buying that product. Then you have the 2nd target audience group who's into... pops... computers... cars and fast food... but could pick any companies. So that group is really who marketing is for. I mean we've all been in a situation where you're watching TV... a fast food commercial comes on and you're like "oh... i want this in my belly now" lol Or same thing with movies... if you're a HUGE star Wars fan.. you don't need to see 90 commercials a day and buy oranges with a star wars packaging to go see it. But it's cause it's not aimed at you. it's aimed at the people who may or may not go see it. Having the logo in your face constantly keeps the product in people's mind so it's reaching more people, making it more likely that they'll go see it, simply cause they know its coming out.

Same thing thing as why some actors are really relevant at times then not. It's simply cause they are "in our faces" and directors and casting go for those guys. Once you're an actor falling out of that boat, you really need a director to want you specifically to pull you back in.

So basically, the more eyeballs are on you, the best.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Luke Hughes, Dawson Mercer, Mike Vukojevic and Graeme Clarke all went to the yankees game together last night. Love to see that. If they’re buddies off the ice you know that locker room will be buzzin. 

Part of me wants them to go to a Mets game.

But then I remember that I want them to go into the season happy and psyched up.  Which won't happen if they go to a Mets game.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Part of me wants them to go to a Mets game.

But then I remember that I want them to go into the season happy and psyched up.  Which won't happen if they go to a Mets game.  

Cashman is also a huge Devils fan. There is synergy between the two organizations. Which is good, because I don’t want the Devils having anything in common whatsoever with the Mets.

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cashman is also a huge Devils fan. There is synergy between the two organizations. Which is good, because I don’t want the Devils having anything in common whatsoever with the Mets.

Yeah some organizations are just...meant to be trainwrecks.  My Mets are one of 'em.  I have some hope because the Patriots were also an absolute clusterfvck of an organization for many years...they even almost moved to St. Louis at one point (they would've gone instead of the Rams).  But Year One of the Steve Cohen Era is off to one hell of a rocky start.  He has no one but himself to blame, really...he brought back an indifferent tired old man in Sandy Alderson to run the team, and it's been about as disastrous as I expected it to be.  Step 1 is always finding the right guy to put in charge, and then letting him do his thing (with minimal interference).  Seems like based on this offseason, the Devils are letting Fitz call the shots...I believe that's a good thing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

starting to realize subban is probably gone after this season, and i'm a lil upset. 

That makes one of you.

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see if he can build off the player he was becoming last season.  The days of the offensive version of him are done...he's clearly not that player anymore...but sometimes declining players can reinvent themselves and find (often less glamorous) ways to contribute.  If he can become less reckless/find ways to make up for lack of "smarts" on the ice, and put up 20-25 points, maybe he's got some more seasons in him, where he's not driving his fanbase insane.  The deal didn't really work out for the Devils obviously, but given how little it took to get him (and how much he tailed off in his final season with the Preds), that was most definitely a possibility from the get-go.

50 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

starting to realize subban is probably gone after this season, and i'm a lil upset. 

I would be happy to have him back at a greatly reduced price, BUT, assuming he doesn’t agree to extend with a huge pay cut and decides to test free agency, we have to trade him. And, I’m certain there will be at least one team willing to pay him more than he is worth, so for that reason, I’m willing to say goodbye. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That makes one of you.

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see if he can build off the player he was becoming last season.  The days of the offensive version of him are done...he's clearly not that player anymore...but sometimes declining players can reinvent themselves and find (often less glamorous) ways to contribute.  If he can become less reckless/find ways to make up for lack of "smarts" on the ice, and put up 20-25 points, maybe he's got some more seasons in him, where he's not driving his fanbase insane.  The deal didn't really work out for the Devils obviously, but given how little it took to get him (and how much he tailed off in his final season with the Preds), that was most definitely a possibility from the get-go.

Yea he was warming up last season. Good player, but obviously not worth 9m. He just seemed to inject positivity when we’ve been in the dump. Crazy how he’s one of our veterans. His ass is gone after this year, but I’m gonna miss him. 

50 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No thanks. I don't want the circus unless he accepts a super low deal

It’s a false narrative. He was the safest defenseman last year(besides kulikov and Murray) and 5on5 ice time leader. He would be excellent bottom-3 defenseman if he will repeat his last year game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

We’re finally seeing the makings of an actual NHL defense. Trading Severson is the last thing I’d be thinking about. He’s going to flourish now that he can play on a second pair where he belongs. 

Wrrrrong.

Severson will ask 6.5-7.25 mil for 5+ years.
who is mister Severson? 
good part - blue line and corners, board playing, puckmoving 
bad part - open ice game, zone reading, defensive game against the cycling, protecting breakaways.

In the entire league there are 124 players who has 6 or more mil per year. 4 players per team. 
there are 61 players who has 7+ mil per year. 2 players per team. 

no matter how you like Severson or not - Hamilton will replace big part of his responsibilities. We have Smith on the left side for puck moving too. And Severson will be second pair defenseman. He isn’t top-2 player of the team. And after a couple of years he will not be top-4 player of this team(or even after this year). No where close. 
After next two years Kukka, Yegor, Hughes, Bratt, Smith, Zacha and Blackwood will get new deals. 
In the team with Hamilton Devils must manage their money and their players smartly. Severson has higher price in the next two years. Especially in the next deadline and next summer. If Fitz wants to make his job competently, he will not spend devils money on Severson. And find another cheaper right defenseman on the market/through trades. And draft a couple of right defensemen in the next draft, that full of them. Trade should be happening before the next draft, ideally.

If devils didn’t sign Hamilton, there were absolutely another discussion, but they did. If you don’t like it, I’m ok, many peoples love Sevs, but this is reality of our team and our roster. Severson will not meaning for this team as many as his pay check will. If we talk about good smart management, of course.

Hope I will say goodbye to Damon in the next calendar year. 

Edited by Guadana

Who would give Severson that much money?  That’s insane.  He’s waaaay too flawed to be asking for that kind of coin.  To date he’s a guy who continually teases showing signs of growth and improvement, but never does.  Maybe he will begin to flourish being asked to do less (it sure hasn’t happened when he’s been asked to do more), but with the cap flattening and teams smartening up in how they’re spending, I’d be stunned if he got much more than $5 million per season.  His overall game is really not that good.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976