The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

25 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Has anyone heard when camp starts? Fitz said they are doing a much smaller one than usual due to Covid but they are still going to play in the prospects tournament. 

They were saying September 22nd previously when they league announced the original start dates to the season. I think they are going for shorter times and smaller camps like you said so the 22nd makes sense considering the first preseason game is on the 29th.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured to place this here.  Looks like the top 10 nominees for the PA announcer position was posted and fans get to choose the 3 finalists who will each do a preseason game where it will be decided who gets the job.  I can imagine this took almost 2 weeks longer than they promised due to the number of applications.

https://www.nhl.com/devils/team/pa-announcer

FWIW I voted for:

Aaron

Joseph

Mike

Edit: if there was an option for a 4th I would have also included Ryan.

Edited by DevsMan84

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I figured to place this here.  Looks like the top 10 nominees for the PA announcer position was posted and fans get to choose the 3 finalists who will each do a preseason game where it will be decided who gets the job.  I can imagine this took almost 2 weeks longer than they promised due to the number of applications.

https://www.nhl.com/devils/team/pa-announcer

FWIW I voted for:

Aaron

Joseph

Mike

Edit: if there was an option for a 4th I would have also included Ryan.

Are these regular people with no experience? If so, wouldnt the team want someone who has done this kind of thing before? This isn’t American Idol.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Are these regular people with no experience? If so, wouldnt the team want someone who has done this kind of thing before? This isn’t American Idol.

Some have some experience while others have zip.  Two of the guys I voted for have some sort of experience in PA announcing or announcing in general (radio, DJing, etc).

If you watch all the audition videos it is pretty easy to spot who has experience versus those who do not.

• Like 1

After seeing this guy's submission and him NOT getting picked as one of the top 10; this thing now has the feeling of that goal song contest they had a couple years back.  I now think they already have someone in mind and this was just a way to collect fans contact info to sell tickets.  I mean this guy is far better than at least 8 of the guys in the running.

• Like 3

You can’t let people vote on things. A few years back the Staten Island Yankees (now defunct) ran a fan contest to rebrand the team, and the people voted to name the team the “Staten Island Pizza Rats” after a viral video of a rat (not in Staten Island) running around the subway tracks or something with a slice of pizza in its mouth. It was basically a landslide. 

The team response was basically “you know what, we’re not going to re-brand right now” and instead they did a novelty night where they wore Pizza Rats jerseys and hats for a game. 

I never really understood why they were re-branding anyway, I mean they had an affiliation with the fvcking Yankees, how much more solid of a brand could you want?

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You can’t let people vote on things. A few years back the Staten Island Yankees (now defunct) ran a fan contest to rebrand the team, and the people voted to name the team the “Staten Island Pizza Rats” after a viral video of a rat (not in Staten Island) running around the subway tracks or something with a slice of pizza in its mouth. It was basically a landslide. 

The team response was basically “you know what, we’re not going to re-brand right now” and instead they did a novelty night where they wore Pizza Rats jerseys and hats for a game. 

I never really understood why they were re-branding anyway, I mean they had an affiliation with the fvcking Yankees, how much more solid of a brand could you want?

It's not the fan voting that is the main issue here, but the nominees that the Devils picked.  This morning I saw 2-3 different entries posted on twitter that were not picked that were better than several of the people who were picked.  Either the Devils already have someone in mind or they really want to go full poverty-franchise mode and choose some underqualified superfan to be the PA announcer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol Devils signed Jimmy Vesey to a PTO

Remember when he scored 6 goals and 3 assists through his first 10 NHL games?  Neither does he.  Was funny watching some Ranger fans thinking they landed some big-time future star though.   

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's not the fan voting that is the main issue here, but the nominees that the Devils picked.  This morning I saw 2-3 different entries posted on twitter that were not picked that were better than several of the people who were picked.  Either the Devils already have someone in mind or they really want to go full poverty-franchise mode and choose some underqualified superfan to be the PA announcer.

Considering what they just spent this offseason to land Hamilton (and I get the feeling they were right there for Saad), even if they're still well under the cap for now, I don't think of them as being cheap.  I do think both Shero and now Fitz like having space to work with, and the flexibility that having it affords.  It will be interesting to see, should the team look like it's ready to make some playoff noise, if Fitz is willing to spend up to the cap in one final push (I suspect he would).  But I don't get the impression that ownership won't write big checks if their GM asks them too.   

But yeah, if the Devils already pretty much have someone in mind for the PA position and it's obvious that the best talent isn't being picked, don't make it sound like the fans really have a say in the hiring process.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remember when he scored 6 goals and 3 assists through his first 10 NHL games?  Neither does he.  Was funny watching some Ranger fans thinking they landed some big-time future star though.   

Considering what they just spent this offseason to land Hamilton (and I get the feeling they were right there for Saad), even if they're still well under the cap for now, I don't think of them as being cheap.  I do think both Shero and now Fitz like having space to work with, and the flexibility that having it affords.  It will be interesting to see, should the team look like it's ready to make some playoff noise, if Fitz is willing to spend up to the cap in one final push (I suspect he would).  But I don't get the impression that ownership won't write big checks if their GM asks them too.   

But yeah, if the Devils already pretty much have someone in mind for the PA position and it's obvious that the best talent isn't being picked, don't make it sound like the fans really have a say in the hiring process.

I wasn't implying about them being cheap.  I was meaning more along the lines of this contest and the finalists they picked are more along the lines of what an ECHL team would do.

Could you imagine the Mets or Yankees doing this sort of thing and the options are largely unqualified superfans while passing over professionals?  That's the kind of thing you see from maybe one of their A or AA affiliates.