The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Just now, MB3 said:

He has 8 posts in the last two pages of this thread alone. How much is your retainer? Crazy that a guy spends that kind of cash to have his own little internet-cop, but I'm not going to judge how everyone else spends their money. 

Nobody was even talking about him, you’re just so obsessed with him that you had to bring him up again. Nothing I said has anything to do with him. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I hadn't even read your posts yet. I'm responding to a two-page-long discussion with SD in another fight with another member of the forum. 

I posted about people fighting, and you posted a reply right after that about him fighting with people. Like I said, my bad if I misinterpreted the context.

Also, you literally can’t respond to anything without insulting people. Do you really think I care if you think I post too much? Same issue as the other day, you literally can’t say anything to anyone without coming off like an obnoxious a$$hole.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I can't respond to abrasive confrontational people without being abrasive and confrontational. That's you, that's SD, that's... sorta it? That weird glenwo guy from a while back? I've met like 5 regulars on this board and genuinely enjoy conversing with most people here. Nicomo, SH, RWTD, SatansHockey, MadDog, CR, those three dudes who all have the same username but different numbers at the end? Heck, even DM84 and I get into spats and then go months having casual and respectful discourse. 

The fact that you rely so heavily on hyperbole to attempt to make a point weakens your argument. Didn't they teach you that like, day zero at law school? 

But that’s the thing, you don’t just do it to abrasive people. You do it almost every time you disagree with somebody. Maybe you don’t even realize it, could just be a flaw in your character.

Bringing up that I’m a lawyer, that’s just totally hack. There’s no part of this message board that in any manner involved in any of my skills as an attorney. Even you can do better than that.

Just now, MB3 said:

In what universe is "you're a lawyer" a low blow? I wish people confused me with a lawyer! 

It’s just a typical way that people who can’t hang in an argument with me try to hang in an argument with me.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I don't know what to tell you -- it is literally impossible to watch Legally Blonde too many times.

Fvck, I walked right into that one. There is no counter argument.

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

SD: gets into a fight with literally every single member of NJDevs.

Also SD: "wtf why are you all starting fights with me?" 

Where is that coming from? lol Where did i ask why someone started a fight with me? lol

This sounds more like a repressed feeling you have about me that you just like to get off your chest and throw my way than something related to this convo at all lol I was having a pretty calm discussion with DevsMan84 and everything was fine?

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I hadn't even read your posts yet. I'm responding to a two-page-long discussion with SD in another fight with another member of the forum. 

EDIT: I'll give him this though: he's gotta be the only person on the planet who sees "getting a vaccine to protect yourself and others against a deadly virus" as -- checks notes -- "blackmail". Even anti-vaxxer facebook groups cringe at that comment, my god. 

Oh that's that rubbed you the wrong way.

I was not even fighting, i feel we were just discussing. As for the "blackmail" thing, well as usual you didn't try to understand what i was saying at all. I didnt say that "i personally see it that way". I started my sentence with "But for him" (Blackwood). And explained how he sees the situation. And that i respected that, never said i agreed or wtv. I'm fully vaxxed. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Where is that coming from? lol Where did i ask why someone started a fight with me? lol

This sounds more like a repressed feeling you have about me that you just like to get off your chest and throw my way than something related to this convo at all lol I was having a pretty calm discussion with DevsMan84 and everything was fine?

Dude, you've been trying to pick a fight with SH with almost everything you posted the last 2 days. It's really cringey. Like Tie Domi flying around the ice trying to fight Stevens but Scotty won't even look at him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Dude, you've been trying to pick a fight with SH with almost everything you posted the last 2 days. It's really cringey. Like Tie Domi flying around the ice trying to fight Stevens but Scotty won't even look at him.

Oh well yeah that, totally. I never denied that lol 

My question remain. 

"Where did i ask why someone started a fight with me?" as MB quoted... i didn't asked that at all

Edited by SterioDesign

15 hours ago, MB3 said:

In what universe is "you're a lawyer" a low blow? I wish people confused me with a lawyer! 

I don't know what to tell you -- it is literally impossible to watch Legally Blonde too many times.

When I still lived in Boston and people visited me and we went to Harvard Yard I would always say "and this is where they filmed Legally Blonde".

2 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

When I still lived in Boston and people visited me and we went to Harvard Yard I would always say "and this is where they filmed Legally Blonde".

That sounds about right. 

Definitely read that as Haahvad Yaaahd. 

Edited by mfitz804

I wonder if Blackwood will get a conditioning stint in the AHL when his heel is ready to go. From my memory didn’t he only have 20 minutes of ice time in the preseason? He was supposed to go 40 minutes in the cancelled game I believe. If he does go down for 2-3 games that would mean Bernier and Wedge are the tandem for the first week or so. 

45 minutes ago, MB3 said:

was the mood of the fans sorta "ok we gotta get this done now because our window is closing" as Scotty mentioned in the on-ice interview? Did it surprise you all that the dominance not only lasted but actually grew over those next nine years?  

I’ll be totally honest- for me, it was ‘win, or I’m afraid the franchise is moving’. Nashville was lurking big-time in the background. That Cup saved hockey in NJ.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll just write it here. Before the Devils season every year I look for big Devils games on youtube and watch them in their entirety in the several days leading up to the start of the season. I have them on in the background and work while watching them. It's fun.

I just finished watching 1995 ECF game 6 at home, where the Devils beat Philly to advance to their first ever Stanley Cup Final. Bill Clement wouldn't shut the fvck up about how "these same Devils had the Rangers on the rope last year and let them off the hook". But the single most interesting thing came AFTER the game, Stevens was being interviewed on the ice and he had this to say:

"They're (the Flyers) a really young team. They're going to be really good for a while. For us, we're running out of time, so it's nice to get to the next step." 

I was born in 1991, I don't remember anything about 1995 but I've watched every game and know/love that team. But in my head, that team -- really starting in 1993 -- was so, so young and had such a bright future ahead of them. Like, when I picture that team I sorta picture this 2021 team in terms of age: "we're going to be good for a long time" or something like that. It's wild to me that Stevens was already 32. Of course, the Devils went on to win 3 cups and the Flyers went on to win a whole lot of nothing (in large part because of these Devils), but I'm curious for the "older" fans (not that 1995 was thaaaaat long ago) -- was the mood of the fans sorta "ok we gotta get this done now because our window is closing" as Scotty mentioned in the on-ice interview? Did it surprise you all that the dominance not only lasted but actually grew over those next nine years?  

I was in the same boat as Maddog. The team was so close to moving. A cup didn’t even guarantee them staying. So when they won, I was more thinking that I was glad I got to see it. Then 1996 they missed the playoffs, then flunked out early in 97, 98, and 99 and it really did look like it was all over. 

I honestly never expected 2000 because I thought our best chance for another cup was with that Gilmour/Andreychuk team in the late 90’s

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ll be totally honest- for me, it was ‘win, or the I’m afraid the franchise is moving’. Nashville was lurking big-time in the background. That Cup saved hockey in NJ.

I distinctly remember trying to figure out what I was going to do when they moved. Back then in the infancy of the internet, it would have been very difficult to follow the team in Nashville. I probably would have wound up an Islanders fan. 

• Like 1

One of the big things I noticed in 95 was the lack of advertisements for renewing season tickets.  I was dreading MacMullin still making the move even after they won the cup.  I have stated that 95 was not as an enjoyable a season that it could have been for the Nashville rumors.  (It still was very enjoyable but I could have done without the drama of a potential move)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

One of my earliest hockey memories is Jagr scoring with a minute left and then again in overtime in 1999. That finished up a back-to-back losing to the 8 seed as a 1 seed, right? 

When you hear players talk about what was missing in 97-99 AND what was missing in 2001, they all say it was Pepe. Scott Gomez even went as far to say if the Devils paid him what he wanted instead of letting him go to Phoenix, they "win in 5 games against Colorado." 

Yeah I was at game 5 for that 1999 series. Stevens scored a nice goal and the Devils went up 3-2 in the series. Jagr did his thing in Game 6 and then we lost Game 7 at home. 

I absolutely hated when we lost Lemieux in 1995. I liked Steve Thomas but he was no Claude Lemieux. Plus the Isles got Wendel Clarke out of that deal if I remember right. We should have just gave Claude the money. McMullen was public enemy number one at that point between Nashville threats and playing hardball with Marty and Lemieux that off season. 

I remember him slipping on the ice at the banner raising the next season and the crowd went nuts. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah I was at game 5 for that 1999 series. Stevens scored a nice goal and the Devils went up 3-2 in the series. Jagr did his thing in Game 6 and then we lost Game 7 at home. 

I absolutely hated when we lost Lemieux in 1995. I liked Steve Thomas but he was no Claude Lemieux. Plus the Isles got Wendel Clarke out of that deal if I remember right. We should have just gave Claude the money. McMullen was public enemy number one at that point between Nashville threats and playing hardball with Marty and Lemieux that off season. 

I remember him slipping on the ice at the banner raising the next season and the crowd went nuts. 

What happened was Lou had faxed Lemieux an extension (which he had agreed to but didn't sign right away), with Lemieux coming off a pair of not-great regular seasons...then he goes nuts in the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe, and basically decides he wants to renegotiate.  You can imagine how that went over with Lou.

So though I can see why Lou was ticked, losing Claude definitely hurt.  Thomas just didn't fit in here at all...the guy I would've liked was Clark, but not like he didn't have a ton of injury issues throughout his career.  

33 minutes ago, Rock said:

One of the big things I noticed in 95 was the lack of advertisements for renewing season tickets.  I was dreading MacMullin still making the move even after they won the cup.  I have stated that 95 was not as an enjoyable a season that it could have been for the Nashville rumors.  (It still was very enjoyable but I could have done without the drama of a potential move)

There's a part of me that never fully forgave Lou and McMullen for all of that.  You are 100% right, the specter of a move absolutely hung over everything that was happening, full black-cloud.  I was able to block that out most of the time, but it sucked knowing that the team could've just bolted right after winning a championship...especially for those of us who had been supporting them for several years at that point.  I don't know what the hell I would've done, who I would've followed had that happened.  I've mentioned it before, but the rumor was that the Whalers would've moved into the Meadowlands, instead of going to Carolina.  The funny thing I can see the NHL not being all that eager to put another team in NJ...between the Rangers, Isles, and Flyers, it's not like the area necessarily NEEDED a replacement for the Devils.  But suffice it to say their leaving here never came to pass (a beautiful BEAUTIFUL thing).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I remember the 95 run and late 90's fairly well and I do not recall the feeling of the window closing.  However, missing the 96 playoffs and the duds that were 98 and 99 felt like things were starting to wind down instead of going up.  I remember in 1999 that the Pens had a better team than the standings showed but the issue with the Devils was that they let Barnaby get to them and a lot of the Devils higher-end offensive talent was still fairly young and inexperienced (Sykora, Elias, etc).

The other thing was that we also had plenty of players between 95 and 99 who just didn't want to be here.  Lemieux left because he wanted to and found the loophole with the faxed signature excuse.  Broten never liked it here, MacLean asked for a trade when his role was reduced, Tikkanen didn't want to be here and neither did Housley.  Guerin and others such as Morrison got into contract disputes and guys like Andreychuk and Gilmour bolted as soon as they were able to.

IMO, the two things that stopped that bleeding was 1) Lemaire knowing his time was up and stepping aside.  A lot of higher-end players and vets didn't take too well with the Devils defensive-minded scheme and hiring Ftorek and his more offensive-minded coaching style made it more palatable.  The other was the shrewd acquisitions and drafts Lou made.  Colin White started coming in, Sykora and Elias started to get things going, Arnott trade was starting to pay off, the drafting of Gomez, and the trades for Lemieux, Mogilny, and to an extent Malakhov definitely helped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember the 95 run and late 90's fairly well and I do not recall the feeling of the window closing.  However, missing the 96 playoffs and the duds that were 98 and 99 felt like things were starting to wind down instead of going up.  I remember in 1999 that the Pens had a better team than the standings showed but the issue with the Devils was that they let Barnaby get to them and a lot of the Devils higher-end offensive talent was still fairly young and inexperienced (Sykora, Elias, etc).

The other thing was that we also had plenty of players between 95 and 99 who just didn't want to be here.  Lemieux left because he wanted to and found the loophole with the faxed signature excuse.  Broten never liked it here, MacLean asked for a trade when his role was reduced, Tikkanen didn't want to be here and neither did Housley.  Guerin and others such as Morrison got into contract disputes and guys like Andreychuk and Gilmour bolted as soon as they were able to.

IMO, the two things that stopped that bleeding was 1) Lemaire knowing his time was up and stepping aside.  A lot of higher-end players and vets didn't take too well with the Devils defensive-minded scheme and hiring Ftorek and his more offensive-minded coaching style made it more palatable.  The other was the shrewd acquisitions and drafts Lou made.  Colin White started coming in, Sykora and Elias started to get things going, Arnott trade was starting to pay off, the drafting of Gomez, and the trades for Lemieux, Mogilny, and to an extent Malakhov definitely helped.

You're right about Lemieux, I'd forgotten about that "signed fax" loophole.  

The 99 team had a habit of blowing leads here and there...Game 5 of their series against the Pens was an example of that...and a sign of general inexperience.  Brodeur also had a meh enough series that SI wrote a blurb about how Marty's career had hit a bit of a crossroads at that point.

Ftorek's style was more fun for the players, but they couldn't stand him (and this was a problem for Robbie throughout his career as an NHL coach).  I read some of the stories and you could see why he aggravated his team.  But Larry Robinson was 100% the right guy at the right time, to take over for the exiled Ftorek, and lead the Devils to two straight SCF.  And then Burns was just as right for the 2003 team.  

Yeah some solid building from within for sure (and pieces from that pipeline to use in deadline deals)...when that pipeline stopped producing talent, we saw how it went.  

• Like 1