The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Another day, another practice, and another what is essentially a "no comment" from any of the Devils staff/coaches about the status of Miles Wood.

I am guessing he broke something.

He definitely looked the most like “a homeless guy that put on a suit for a job interview” at game #1. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Another day, another practice, and another what is essentially a "no comment" from any of the Devils staff/coaches about the status of Miles Wood.

I am guessing he broke something.

They said "he could be back skating in a few days" last Thursday. So he should be close to come back. Unless there's some setback i don't really expect them to update us every day with "close but noooot yet". I mean what's the point really? We're curious sure but we don't NEED that information as fans haha

Maybe if someone had him in a hockey pool they may need that info.... but who would do that? haha

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They said "he could be back skating in a few days" last Thursday. So he should be close to come back. Unless there's some setback i don't really expect them to update us every day with "close but noooot yet". I mean what's the point really? We're curious sure but we don't NEED that information as fans haha

Maybe if someone had him in a hockey pool they may need that info.... but who would do that? haha

He's been "could be back skating in a few days" for two weeks now.

They are not even saying he is close, just essentially a "no news" on him.  Even with Blackwood they are releasing news about the heel needing more time to rehab.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

He's been "could be back skating in a few days" for two weeks now.

They are not even saying he is close, just essentially a "no news" on him.  Even with Blackwood they are releasing news about the heel needing more time to rehab.

Right, he can't come back until he's forward skating as well.

🤔

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

mfitz was making a pun. Stein said "back skating" and fitz said "he needs to forward skate also". 

the best jokes are always the ones you have to explain. 

I mean I thought he understood it based on his first response…

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I thought he understood it based on his first response…

i did get the joke but the fact that i said it from what Amanda said and that we're both french i figured "well is this even how you say t his?" so i pointed out that she was the OG and not me lol 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i did get the joke but the fact that i said it from what Amanda said and that we're both french i figured "well is this even how you say t his?" so i pointed out that she was the OG and not me lol 

I’m not able to tell that joke in French, so we’re even. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Wood is not at practice again today.  Updates on Severson (in today), Smith (likely back by the weekend) and Blackwood (he is day to day but will likely miss the entire homestand). 

Absolutely no updates on Wood and don't see any questions asked about him by our beat.

I thought I read yesterday that Wood started skating.

34 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Jack was on The Athletic Hockey Show podcast today, giving it a listen now

I read the script, Jack gives a good interview, even on paper.

He is very self aware and I think he has a point to prove and wants to show people what he can do this year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's been about 24-25 days since Wood last played or practiced.

Don't worry thought, Jack is currently on the same "day-to-day" as Wood is now.

I’m so tired of the vagueness around injuries like it’s fvcking classified information. If the guy is gonna be out a while, just say it. The stupid explanation of ‘day-to-day’ when they’re clearly not is incredibly irritating.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I’m so tired of the vagueness around injuries like it’s fvcking classified information. If the guy is gonna be out a while, just say it. The stupid explanation of ‘day-to-day’ when they’re clearly not is incredibly irritating.

Pretty much means “he’s out today, we’ll see about tomorrow”, which is basically true about all of us lol. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty much means “he’s out today, we’ll see about tomorrow”, which is basically true about all of us lol. 

I know medicine is not always an exact science, but a lot of injuries in the sport have "typical" timelines.  It wasn't too long ago that "day to day" in the NHL usually meant 2 weeks or less.  Now, we have players listed as "day to day" for nearly a month or even two months (Taylor Hall in 18-19 season before a reporter broke the story about his surgery).  IIRC, Hischier was listed as being "day to day" during last season's camp before it was broken by another reporter that he had a broken leg/ankle and suddenly he wasn't "day to day."

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

For years, teams have claimed that being vague was necessary to prevent players of other teams from targeting their players.

I think it is only a matter of time before sports gambling lobby forces their hand to be more upfront about injuries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

True. I remember when Dan Patrick was on SportsCenter, and a player was described as being ‘day to day’, would say ‘we’re all day to day’ lol

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For years, teams have claimed that being vague was necessary to prevent players of other teams from targeting their players.

I think it is only a matter of time before sports gambling lobby forces their hand to be more upfront about injuries.

That’s why there are injury reports in football. 

Edited by MadDog2020