The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Not going to pretend that I don't hate ads on jerseys and I would prefer not to see them, but being that it's a 3" x 3.5" square, I'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.  Hopefully that doesn't progress to jerseys looking like billboards in 4-5 years.  If it doesn't go too far beyond what it will become 2022-23, I'll live with it.  And it's not like the league can't use the coin.

Brought this up elsewhere, but I wonder if the GW/GI community is affected by this (in terms of the jerseys being less desirable).  I'm guessing maybe a little.  I'd like to see exactly what the ad looks like on the jersey.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

SD woke up today and chose violence.

Which isn’t new or anything but boy oh boy you sure like to tell people how to feel. 

In a short while he’ll end up telling us what he ‘literally’ said and how it was taken the wrong way. And that ‘All he said’ was that ads help the owners make money.

Edited by devlman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... on one end you have owners who are investors literally putting money into something so that it can be a thing, in order to make a profit. That is 100% business driven. They also literally just lost like 1-2 years of revenue, thats HUGE.

Then on the other hand you have you. Who constantly whine about all those things that annoys your feelings / convenience. Getting insanely annoyed by ads on the ice, cause you're losing the puck in that 0.00000001 second it goes over it? You constantly pushing that fans need to whine to get what they want. Annoyed cause logos don't match the team's color. Vocally annoyed when a goalie is celebrating a win on the ice, that he shouldn't cause it annoys you. And now going out of your way boycotting businesses... advertising themselves? 

So to frame this as in your personal feelings (that are all things that most people can just look past no problem or be annoyed for 2 seconds then move on) are somewhat more important than people's businesses and that they should just lose money so things don't annoy you is really mind boggling.

I think you need to re-think in what direction the Boo fvcking hoo should be directed here.

He said HE would choose where he takes his business. He didn’t mandate that everyone must follow his opinion and action. It’s a message board, afterall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Very unrealistic but if every Devils fan switched their insurance from Prudential citing the reason being the helmet ads that would have gotten their attention. 

Unfortunately ads our part of our every day lives. Ads that are annoying have never seen a dollar from me. Progressive has the absolute worst commercials and Flo has me reaching for the mute button every single time if I'm actually watching live. I will never give progressive a dollar. 

Ads have actually conditioned me to never watch anything live anymore, I'd rather start the game 30 mins late so I can fast forward them all. fvck em. 

I doubt the amount of Devils fans that also have Prudential insurance is that significant of a number vis a vis their total share of the insurance market.

And I agree, I watch almost all games on a DVR delay, which is why most nights I only join the GDT somewhere around the end of the 2nd/beginning of 3rd, when my DVR delay runs out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

He said HE would choose where he takes his business. He didn’t mandate that everyone must follow his opinion and action. It’s a message board, afterall.

he literally suggested that Devils fan should switched their insurance from Prudential citing the reason being the helmet ads that would have gotten their attention and said that fans didn't whine enough and that's why we get ads on jerseys. 

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You think our guys are coming out of those dark days? I assume we’ll get obliterated week 1, but I’m stoked for senior D’Eriq this year man! 

Yeah, I have hope given that they seem to be recruiting quite well and the UNC debacle aside, they were pretty good last year.  Who knows though, it looked promising early in the Shannon, Golden and Richt tenures too.   

I also have a little bit of hope that we can catch a super inexperienced Bama team in week 1 the same way Mississippi St caught LSU last year after they lost most of their team to the NFL.  

Getting D'Eriq was a game changer for Manny because otherwise, he should have been fired after the Independence Bowl two years ago.  He's certainly is the king of the offseason though.   

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

he literally suggested that Devils fan should switched their insurance from Prudential citing the reason being the helmet ads that would have gotten their attention and said that fans didn't whine enough and that's why we get ads on jerseys. 

He did preface the insurance switch as being “very unrealistic” though. But I agree about the “not complaining” aspect, you could have complained all you want, unless you backed that with the millions of dollars to replace the ad revenue, it would have done not a thing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

You think our guys are coming out of those dark days? I assume we’ll get obliterated week 1, but I’m stoked for senior D’Eriq this year man! 

You know your boy King took an NIL deal to be an ambassador for the Panthers right? He’l be at all the games pretending root for the Panthers because they’re paying him a nice buck. I fvcking hate that franchise; they try sooooo hard to be relevant. Hopefully they never are.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not going to pretend that I don't hate ads on jerseys and I would prefer not to see them, but being that it's a 3" x 3.5" square, I'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.  Hopefully that doesn't progress to jerseys looking like billboards in 4-5 years.  If it doesn't go too far beyond what it will become 2022-23, I'll live with it.  And it's not like the league can't use the coin.

Brought this up elsewhere, but I wonder if the GW/GI community is affected by this (in terms of the jerseys being less desirable).  I'm guessing maybe a little.  I'd like to see exactly what the ad looks like on the jersey.  

Overall the reception has been mixed.  You have purists who are absolutely livid to those who are ok with it just being the patch.

While I would prefer them without ads, it is not nearly enough for me to stop collecting gamers.  AHL jerseys have had ads on them for years and they haven't affected their value one bit.  I can imagine it would be the same for the NHL jerseys.

As for this the start of a slippery slope, I would caution about saying it would never happen.  However, personally, I think it is very unlikely.  Sponsors would likely pay teams to be the only sponsor on the jersey combined with the mandate being for just 1 for now.  The European leagues are also on much more shaky financial ground than NHL and even AHL teams (look at Jagr saying he has to play for Kladno just so they don't fold) so these ads are likely more for making up missed revenue (along with the $1B the players owe the owners) than literally survive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd rather be the Karen of the board than the person of the board who everyone puts up with and who most absolutely can't stand. 

Well i'd rather be happy in life not being this entitled. Just happy and able to handle my feelings. This is a message board, who cares. Nothing here is actually affecting my actual life. Hell, not as if i cancelled my NHL subscription when we traded for Subban, unfollowed them on social media or never watched another game. That's on your level.

I can't imagine going through life getting triggered whenever i see a logo, willing to literally go out of my way not to see them, raging about ads during games or watching tv, raging at planes in the sky, not watching sports i love live cause i can't stand to see logos. Raging seeing a player celebrating a win suggesting he shouldnt. Hell lol even seeing someone's collection and seeing this as some sort of corporate bullsh!t advertising lololol Yeah that sounds extremely healthy, you must be fun to be around

Edited by SterioDesign

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i'd rather be happy in life not being this entitled. Just happy and able to handle my feelings. This is a message board, who cares. Nothing here is actually affecting my actual life. Hell, not as if i cancelled my NHL subscription when we traded for Subban, unfollowed them on social media or never watched another game. That's on your level.

I can't imagine going through life getting triggered whenever i see a logo, willing to literally go out of my way not to see them, raging about ads during games or watching tv, raging at planes in the sky, not watching sports i love live cause i can't stand to see logos. Raging seeing a player celebrating a win suggesting he shouldnt. Hell lol even seeing someone's collection and seeing this as some sort of corporate bullsh!t advertising lololol Yeah that sounds extremely healthy, you must be fun to be around

Raging = posting messages on a message board? Lol k. 

I've never stopped doing anything I actually enjoy over ads. I never canceled my season tickets, I wouldn't cancel my season tickets over ads. Complain about them? Absolutely but I'm a customer who is sent surveys about the team and I voice my opinion there when they ask for it. 

I didn't like our arch rivals goalie celebrating on our ice after the playoffs. Why does this need justification? If that sh!t didn't make you mad as a fan of this team why even bother following sports. Sports is about competition, it's about rivalries. sh!t gets heated. Did I jump on the ice and assault him? No, I complained on a  Devils message board, oh no the rage!

I don't like being advertised to when I'm outside my own home, note what company it is and don't purchase their products, such rage! How is that entitlement? How about the stupid corporate stooge who came up with that idea and said hey if we fly a banner over all these people's homes that will want everyone to buy our product! That sh!t is entitlement. 

You literally just said this a message board who cares yet you quote my post and attack me and list all these things saying that I constantly complain about ads when I only talked about it in response to the news article someone posted.

You're actually the person who drummed up Lou and got into constant arguments with numerous posters for years over and over and over again so the irony in this whole thing is absolutely amazing that you don't see it.

You call me entitled but you want me to have the same opinion as you. That's some serious entitlement. 

• Like 1

I didn't like our arch rivals goalie celebrating on our ice after the playoffs. Why does this need justification? If that sh!t didn't make you mad as a fan of this team why even bother following sports. Sports is about competition, it's about rivalries. sh!t gets heated. Did I jump on the ice and assault him? No, I complained on a  Devils message board, oh no the rage!

I’ve never had a personal hero, you’d have come close…

Raging = posting messages on a message board? Lol k. 

I've never stopped doing anything I actually enjoy over ads. I never canceled my season tickets, I wouldn't cancel my season tickets over ads. Complain about them? Absolutely but I'm a customer who is sent surveys about the team and I voice my opinion there when they ask for it. 

I don't like being advertised to when I'm outside my own home, note what company it is and don't purchase their products, such rage! How is that entitlement? How about the stupid corporate stooge who came up with that idea and said hey if we fly a banner over all these people's homes that will want everyone to buy our product! That sh!t is entitlement. 

You literally just said this a message board who cares yet you quote my post and attack me and list all these things saying that I constantly complain about ads when I only talked about it in response to the news article someone posted.

You're actually the person who drummed up Lou and got into constant arguments with numerous posters for years over and over and over again so the irony in this whole thing is absolutely amazing that you don't see it.

You call me entitled but you want me to have the same opinion as you. That's some serious entitlement. 

lol i dont think you understand what entitlement means or something. How is someone paying money putting eyeballs on his company entitled? If you have a company, the goal is to sell your product or services. It's literally trying to survive or grow your business by raising awareness and so that people have your company in mind if they need your product or service. That's the opposite of entitlement, it's even borderline desperate in a way. That's working and dropping an insane amount of money to hopefully get something in return. Entitlement is the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. Like not wanting to see ads at all cause it's "annoying".

Tons of subscriptions where you can either live with ads, or pay to not get them. At the end of the day, the company need that money coming in somehow. They don't put ads out there to annoy people, they put it to get money and keep the company going. You can spin it any way you want, you're literally under the impression that being annoyed by ads should trump someone else being able to grow their business, a business helping you enjoy the things you enjoy. Or that it doesnt matter if they lose money, they have tons of money anyway. your feelings are more important...  yeah the Sens owner certainly dont need the extra money lol 

And to be clear i dont want you to have the same opinion as me. Actually we kind of do, It's not like i love ads on jerseys or commercials. But the simple fact that i can understand why they exists and that the product would cost more if they weren't there or doesnt exist at all. It's making it quite easy to simply look past and it has absolutely no impact on the quality of my life. And its not like this is an isolated case. You posted those articles and brought these things up countless times.

And not sure why you're saying that i don't see it that im getting in a lot of arguments about Lou lol im very well aware of that haha

Owners getting that extra money is directly impacting the on-ice product. Being annoyed by seeing a logo doesn't. Remember when the team was fvcked because our owner was struggling? See teams who can't even spend to the cap and have to lose players cause their owner can't afford it? Or stuck with bad contracts cause the owners couldn't buy them out? I don't care about my opinion or personal feelings, money HELPS and the fact that you feel your feelings or being annoyed by seeing something should be more important than all that simply sounds silly to me. We just signed the biggest FA on the market. You need money for that and we needed the owners to give Fitz the green light to spend.

Edited by SterioDesign

As a small aside, the advertising industry has always struck me as weird to me.

What I mean is that I don't understand why a good chunk of it exists in the first place.  If a company or brand is coming out with a new product or feature, then I can see the effectiveness of the advertisement.  However, a large chunk of advertisements are there for the sake of being there.  An example is say an advertisement for Coca-Cola.  You see ads all around to "Drink Coke" or "Always Coca-Cola" for a product that has been out for 100+ years that you can literally at almost every store and restaurant in the world.  It really is just another permutation of saying "keep buying what you have been buying."  For these kind of ads, how many people are they convincing in a world where we are bombarded by so many to begin with that we often tune them out?  It's to the point where I am pretty sure the industry is still for the sake of keeping jobs.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

As a small aside, the advertising industry has always struck me as weird to me.

What I mean is that I don't understand why a good chunk of it exists in the first place.  If a company or brand is coming out with a new product or feature, then I can see the effectiveness of the advertisement.  However, a large chunk of advertisements are there for the sake of being there.  An example is say an advertisement for Coca-Cola.  You see ads all around to "Drink Coke" or "Always Coca-Cola" for a product that has been out for 100+ years that you can literally at almost every store and restaurant in the world.  It really is just another permutation of saying "keep buying what you have been buying."  For these kind of ads, how many people are they convincing in a world where we are bombarded by so many to begin with that we often tune them out?  It's to the point where I am pretty sure the industry is still for the sake of keeping jobs.

America:

Edited by NJDevils1214

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note...pretty amazing how long she's had that gig...since 2008.  Gotta wonder when that finally comes to an end.

Hopefully soon. Between Progressive with Flo, Liberty Mutual with the dude and the emu, and the Geico Gecko, I’ve about had it lol. Also, is there an industry anywhere in America that spends more money on advertising than the insurance industry? It seems like every other ad I see is for some kind of insurance. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hopefully soon. Between Progressive with Flo, Liberty Mutual with the dude and the emu, and the Geico Gecko, I’ve about had it lol. Also, is there an industry anywhere in America that spends more money on advertising than the insurance industry? It seems like every other ad I see is for some kind of insurance. 

Seriously I feel like the most common commercials on cable are ironically; insurance, prescription medications, and fast food lol

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It makes total sense, because 90% of people don’t give a sh!t who their carrier is as long as they get the best rate. So 15 minutes saving you 15%, name your price tool, etc. are very appealing to people. 

I work tangentially in the insurance industry, and I can tell you that over the years, multiple dozens of my clients have told me they have GEICO 100% because of those 15 minutes to save 15% commercials.