The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who would give Severson that much money?  That’s insane.  He’s waaaay too flawed to be asking for that kind of coin.  To date he’s a guy who continually teases showing signs of growth and improvement, but never does.  Maybe he will begin to flourish being asked to do less (it sure hasn’t happened when he’s been asked to do more), but with the cap flattening and teams smartening up in how they’re spending, I’d be stunned if he got much more than $5 million per season.  His overall game is really not that good.

We know that, but does he or his agent? Realistically there is no way in hell he's better than say Larsson so your comment of $5m is insane SHOULD be accurate, but god only knows what a dumb GM like Fletcher of Adams will do.

Severson shouldn't expect much of a raise, if at all, unless he turns a corner this season. But if next summer him or his agent come in with $6m demands and wont budge and I'm Fitz, I'm finding the first sucker that would give him that deal and moving him.

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who would give Severson that much money?  That’s insane.  He’s waaaay too flawed to be asking for that kind of coin.  To date he’s a guy who continually teases showing signs of growth and improvement, but never does.  Maybe he will begin to flourish being asked to do less (it sure hasn’t happened when he’s been asked to do more), but with the cap flattening and teams smartening up in how they’re spending, I’d be stunned if he got much more than $5 million per season.  His overall game is really not that good.

6\6.5+ is his price for today. Minutes, production, he is pp\pk player. You can compair him with Mayers, Shmidt, Spurgeon, Mcdonagh, Faulk, Fowler etc(someone better here, someone better there, some one worser here and there). I absolutely agree that Severson doesnt cost it but he will ask if he will stay on the same level of production. If he will sign with us for 5-5.5 - I.m ok with it. But I dont believe in it. (if his production will stay on the same level of production).

Edited by Guadana

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Unless Severson breaks the fvck out this year he won’t be asking for 6+. Youre a fvcking clown for thinking he’ll ask for 7.25 lmao jesus christ.

first of all - After this offseason defensmen price was goin up.
for the second. am... I did talk about severson and severson only. Taking words out of context and crossing a personal border and you will tell me about my "aggression"? You are out of conversation.

2Runninwiththedevil
You can check one post before.

Edited by Guadana

Also, holding aside the complete lack of “drama” with PK, who has been nothing but a model citizen in his time here from what I have seen and heard, if they signed him at $3m as proposed, is that not a super low end deal for a guy who not only plays good defense, but is also coming off a $9m contract? That’s a 2/3 pay cut!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Lets see how PK plays the second pairing role. To dougie. I expect it to be seamless and positive. Guy is still our best board play defenseman and 1st pk , 2ng pp. He has 3 strong defensive years in him..

I actually think P.K will get 3rd pairing minutes… 

Hamilton-Graves

Smith-Severson 

Siegs-PK

If that’s the case, he might be one of the best 3rd pairing guys in the league.

As for Severson’s next contact, I feel it’s real early to discuss it, but I feel that if he signs with us it’ll be for 5-6 AAV. He doesn’t deserve more imo, and I like him. With that being said, I trust Fitz 100%. I like the direction he’s going in and he seems to not wanna spend foolishly. 

Edited by Devs3cups

13 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I actually think P.K will get 3rd pairing minutes… 

Hamilton-Graves

Smith-Severson 

Siegs-PK

If that’s the case, he might be one of the best 3rd pairing guys in the league.

As for Severson’s next contact, I feel it’s real early to discuss it, but I feel that if he signs with us it’ll be for 5-6 AAV. He doesn’t deserve more imo, and I like him. With that being said, I trust Fitz 100%. I like the direction he’s going in and he seems to not wanna spend foolishly. 

I’d say the Devils will move on from Severson…I’m not so sure an older, more expensive Severson will be terribly cost-effective.  I think the keepers here will be Hamilton and Smith, possibly Graves as well.  Then they’ll try to start sprinkling in cheaper in-house youth.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’d say the Devils will move on from Severson…I’m not so sure an older, more expensive Severson will be terribly cost-effective.  I think the keepers here will be Hamilton and Smith, possibly Graves as well.  Then they’ll try to start sprinkling in cheaper in-house youth.  

That might be the case. Although I wouldn’t be opposed to a 6 year deal (he’d be 34 at the end of it) at 5.5-6 per, tops. 7-8 years I’d be wary of. But as I said, I do trust Fitz, as he seems to spend intelligently and in the right places, and have a plan on who he wants to keep around long term. We’ll see what he has in mind.

Edited by Devs3cups

I honestly wouldn't mind him back, but certainly not at the four million per year someone was mentioning. His production has been nonexistent for years so four mill is crazy 

Edit: there are still stories about him in the media, like his last girlfriend for instance.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

3 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I honestly wouldn't mind him back, but certainly not at the four million per year someone was mentioning. His production has been nonexistent for years so four mill is crazy 

I think you are overestimating the kind of defenseman that gets $4m. That contract would make him the 87th highest paid defenseman in the league. Pretty average. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Idk about that in a flat cap world. I wouldn't be comfortable at four mil myself

What does that even mean? We have a flat cap world currently, and he would be 87th highest paid out of what, 200 guys? You don’t think he’s worth that?

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

This is the most nonsensical argument in the world, and repeated attempts at bashing his character when he’s literally been a model citizen his entire tenure as a New Jersey Devils smells of something pretty stinky. 

And, the original argument is that he wasn’t worth $3m or $4m. $3m would make him 107th. That’s demented, and anyone saying that is more against PK than @SterioDesignhas ever been. 

Edited by mfitz804

38 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Edit: there are still stories about him in the media, like his last girlfriend for instance.

Nonexistent? 5 goals, 19 points in 44 games last year. 9 g 35 p per 82 games. And he did play more than 20 min per game. This is 4+ mil level. If he will stay on his last year level he can ask enough money on the short deals. 

I really dont understand subban`s hating. Because he is black and very talking person? Or 9 mil is a reason? Who cares about his last contract if we talk about his next deal.
4TVsYyGkj6w.jpg?size=1920x595&quality=96

Edited by Guadana

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

I really dont understand subban`s hating. Because he is black and very talking person?

Not saying anyone here feels that way, but when he’s getting booed in various cities for no apparent reason, you have to wonder. 

• Like 2

No I don't hate him at all, In fact I'd be happy if he succeeded in NJ.

Also the argument about '87 paid' doesn't make sense when guys today have to settle for less due to covid shutdowns.

Some really blatant insults on here basically calling me a racist. You can go back through the archives and find posts from me praising the trade to get him and also discussing how great he played vs Boston this year. I simply find his contract bloated and he doesn't produce enough any more to warrant anything close.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

19 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I don't hate him at all, In fact I'd be happy if he succeeded in NJ.

Also the argument about '87 paid' doesn't make sense when guys today have to settle for less due to covid shutdowns.

Some really blatant insults on here basically calling me a racist. You can go back through the archives and find posts from me praising the trade to get him and also discussing how great he played vs Boston this year. I simply find his contract bloated and he doesn't produce enough any more to warrant anything close.

Have you seen what defensemen are getting paid this year, post-COVID? I don’t think that’s a very good argument. 

Nobody thinks he deserves close to $9m. 

Speaking for myself only, I did not call you a racist, and in fact specifically said I was not saying it about anyone here. But when the crowd at a Bruins game boos him mercilessly, and you know what kind of a racist place Boston is, it’s a reasonable assumption that part of it is racially motivated. 

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Only top defensemen are getting paid, guys like Savard took a pay cut. And yes, agreed that Boston does have some racism issues 

But you said he’s not worth $3m, that would be a $6m pay cut…how much do you think you can pay a guy like Subban, who was your best defensive defenseman last season, and given that Hamilton is criticized for not being so great in his own end, he may still be.