The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So I have Hulu, but not ESPN+.  Do I need both in order to watch those games?

I have only gotten into the streaming game since COVID started so I am a little behind on these things.

I believe the games will be on both Hulu and ESPN+ but I'm not 100% on that. Makes sense though since it's under the same Disney umbrella. 

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I believe the games will be on both Hulu and ESPN+ but I'm not 100% on that. Makes sense though since it's under the same Disney umbrella. 

Thanks.  If that is the case I should be alright.  Worst comes to worst I can sign up for ESPN+ and then cancel since it appears a majority of the games are in November.

For a league that is way behind the other NA major leagues, the NHL seems to shoot themselves in the foot a lot.  Adding essentially a paywall/barrier is not how to grow the sport.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Thanks.  If that is the case I should be alright.  Worst comes to worst I can sign up for ESPN+ and then cancel since it appears a majority of the games are in November.

For a league that is way behind the other NA major leagues, the NHL seems to shoot themselves in the foot a lot.  Adding essentially a paywall/barrier is not how to grow the sport.

My personal plan is to just borrow a friend's Hulu account to watch just the 4 away games since I should hopefully be at the 4 home games. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

My personal plan is to just borrow a friend's Hulu account to watch just the 4 away games since I should hopefully be at the 4 home games. 

Hmm, maybe I should sublet my accounts for each game...I have both so let's say $1 a game, times 8 games, times two streaming services...I am gonna be rich!!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah I have almost all the steaming services you can get and I'm still paying less per month than my mother and her optimum cable

I don't have optimum but have her call or do it for her and ask what current promos are going on right now, you're debating canceling, might switch to streaming, blah blah blah. Works almost every time to get put into a "promo" deal and get the bill lowered. Absolutely worth the few mins of time every bunch of months and I've lowered my bill considerably by doing this. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

ESPN+ has a pretty big reach and base of people already subscribing. With NBA, NFL and even global soccer games, there's plenty of content that plus subscribers care about. Will that turn them into casual hockey fans, who knows. But it wasn't like the NBC deal was bringing in tons of eyes, especially when they were cutting away from the cup celebrations or even having cup games on secondary or tertiary networks.

EDIT: Also, ESPN/TNT is already spreading the wealth of what teams are featured and not doing the usual circle jerk of only Pitt/Chicago/NYR. National audiences actually get to see McDavid multiple times on TNT. Hell our band of misfits even getting multiple ESPN+ games, regardless of it being streaming exclusive or whatever, should be a big deal. The brand is getting out there and isn't an ancillary character to the aforementioned "big guns"

Edited by jagknife

IF it took/takes them off MSG locally for these broadcast I think it drastically hurts the brand with the local causal fan who you may actually win over to attend games etc. at some point, while also pissing off some die hards. If it doesn't take them off the local broadcast but is in addition to than I would agree it can only help.  Even then though I think it's only going to help already hardcore Devils fans in out of market areas who find it cheaper than Center Ice or don't have access to it. I personally don't believe any team is winning over many/any fans by watching a small handful of games on a streaming service. That's just my opinion. ::shrugs::

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

ESPN+ has a pretty big reach and base of people already subscribing. With NBA, NFL and even global soccer games, there's plenty of content that plus subscribers care about. Will that turn them into casual hockey fans, who knows. But it wasn't like the NBC deal was bringing in tons of eyes, especially when they were cutting away from the cup celebrations or even having cup games on secondary or tertiary networks.

EDIT: Also, ESPN/TNT is already spreading the wealth of what teams are featured and not doing the usual circle jerk of only Pitt/Chicago/NYR. National audiences actually get to see McDavid multiple times on TNT. Hell our band of misfits even getting multiple ESPN+ games, regardless of it being streaming exclusive or whatever, should be a big deal. The brand is getting out there and isn't an ancillary character to the aforementioned "big guns"

I know the amount of cord cutters are increasing, but the majority still have cable and NBCSN is part of most cable carriers basic package.  Now, without getting into VPN's and illegal streams to avoid blackouts, I pay to watch the team on basic cable on MSG and I have to pay again for ESPN+/Hulu to watch 10% of the team's games.  A lot of new fans of hockey get started because they are flipping channels and land on an NHL game.  Now, they have to basically search it out even more to access it.

The NHL should be limiting the amount of barriers to watching games given how weak their ratings are compared to the other leagues, not making more of them.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know the amount of cord cutters are increasing, but the majority still have cable and NBCSN is part of most cable carriers basic package.  Now, without getting into VPN's and illegal streams to avoid blackouts, I pay to watch the team on basic cable on MSG and I have to pay again for ESPN+/Hulu to watch 10% of the team's games.  A lot of new fans of hockey get started because they are flipping channels and land on an NHL game.  Now, they have to basically search it out even more to access it.

The NHL should be limiting the amount of barriers to watching games given how weak their ratings are compared to the other leagues, not making more of them.

Agree in principal, but there are also a ton of young people, and not so young people, looking around on streaming services for something to watch. I do it all the time, there are probably 20-30 shows I never would have watched otherwise.

Something to be said for being in both places and grabbing some of those srteaming viewers. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Agree in principal, but there are also a ton of young people, and not so young people, looking around on streaming services for something to watch. I do it all the time, there are probably 20-30 shows I never would have watched otherwise.

Something to be said for being in both places and grabbing some of those srteaming viewers. 

I still have cable but I get the cheapest plan that allows me to watch MSG because I don't feel like spending time on searching through those illegal streams as well as purchasing a VPN so I won't get blackouts.  Last time I checked the NHL streaming app is the worst out of the major leagues and until they fix that, I won't be a cord cutter any time soon unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I still have cable but I get the cheapest plan that allows me to watch MSG because I don't feel like spending time on searching through those illegal streams as well as purchasing a VPN so I won't get blackouts.  Last time I checked the NHL streaming app is the worst out of the major leagues and until they fix that, I won't be a cord cutter any time soon unfortunately.

Oh me either. Closest I came was getting rid of the cable box in my spare room upstairs. Something in the wall (probably plumbing, the bathroom is on the opposite side of the wall) prevented the cable box from receiving a signal. Meanwhile, the smart TV gets the signal fine. The choices were drill a hard wire through the side of the house and wrap it around the room, or get rid of that box and use that TV to stream only. 

It’s exceedingly rare that we use it anyway (usually when someone has company and the others want to hide), and we all watch plenty of stuff on Netflix and Disney+ so we use it for that. 

4 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I was trying to figure out why Ellen Degeneres was holding it until I zoomed in. 

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, well he’s been accused of being a little rape-y himself, so I wouldn’t expect him to say anything else. 

• Like 1

@mfitz804 @DevsMan84 Bucci  posted this. ESPN+ gets you all out of market plus other sports. I know I split NHL.tv with people but this seems like a no brainer to me now. IMO it now surpasses NBC.

EDIT: he didn’t just post it like my original post said, someone on my timeline quote retweeted it just now

Edited by jagknife