The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wait…so every single game will be on ESPN+? I like to DVR the games and start them late, but that’s going to make it hard to justify spending the money on Center Ice just for that. 

Would be a tough thing for me too, I’m almost never ready to sit down and watch at start time. 

BUT, he’s not saying every game is exclusive to ESPN+, just that they are available. For those non exclusive games, it sounds like an option, not a requirement, to watch on ESPN+. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

can you replay the games on ESPN+? I’ve honestly never tried 

I've only ever used the free version on Roku where you sign in with your cable subscription when I forget to dvr some of the US soccer games but there were options for replays for that and there's always other things listed for replays so I don't see why they wouldn't have it for the NHL too. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've only ever used the free version on Roku where you sign in with your cable subscription when I forget to dvr some of the US soccer games but there were options for replays for that and there's always other things listed for replays so I don't see why they wouldn't have it for the NHL too. 

Replays yes, but often when you are streaming a live event, you cannot restart it or start it late, you have to wait until it’s over and then start it. I hope that isn’t the case here. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been so hyped about a Devils team in ten years. Really trying to keep realistic expectations, but there is so much to love about the way this team is looking.

I think there's almost no chance that Dawson Mercer starts the season anywhere but NJ. He has looked better than most of his peers at every level, and preseason games against NHL players have been no exception. If the Devils are fortunate enough to win a Cup in the next 10 years, Dawson Mercer is the guy to win the Conn Smythe.

Holtz has exceeded expectations too. His hockey IQ has been on full display in these preseason games. I think he needs to get a bit faster and stronger, and he'll be the perfect winger for Hughes. Looking like it will turn out to be an excellent 2020 draft.

Hamilton looks as good as advertised. He's the top defenseman that this team has been lacking for over a decade. And I really like how he seems so connected with the team already, and particularly the young players. He is on board for this team's journey, and he'll be a great leader/locker room guy. Similarly, I think Ryan Graves will find his role as a highly effective shutdown defenseman. It'll turn out to be a good trade for the Devils.

There are a handful of prospects who, not too long ago, each would have looked like our top prospect fighting for a spot. All of Foote, Clarke, Thompson, and Okhotiuk have made strong cases for themselves and will be hard to cut from the team. Thompson, especially, showed what kind of NHL future he has ahead of him. Honestly, a line of Foote-Thompson-Holtz in the AHL for a year wouldn't be the worst thing.

Bernier's excellent performance against the Rangers shows he could be a 1B. 

Sharagovich and McLeod look like they have each taken a big step forward.

Outside the NHL, I'm only hearing/seeing great things about Luke Hughes and Mukhamadullin. The future of this team is in really great shape.

And probably most importantly, Jack Hughes is looking like an absolute superstar out there. I get that it is preseason, but he often looks a cut above literally everyone else on the ice. He made an impact on nearly every play. With all the talent above (and players like Tatar, Bratt, Hischier, Zacha, Smith, and Kuokkanen who we can expect to contribute offensively), he's finally in a spot where he can truly flourish. I think we'll see the Jack Hughes we were expecting when he was drafted. 

The only things that haven't been so positive are Blackwood's situation and Johnsson still looking like the same old Johnsson to me. Hopefully Zacha moves back to the LW too. When I think about what made the Devils a bad team last season, several things come to mind. One is there was no hope for a win when Blackwood was out. This will no longer be an issue (unless Blackwood's situation goes south) now that Bernier is in the mix. Another reason was how badly the team was hit by COVID-19. Dallas was another team that got hit badly - a team that made the Stanley Cup finals the year prior, but then couldn't even beat out the Preds for a playoff spot the following year. This will not be an issue this time around. The team was young and inexperienced last season, depending heavily on these same young players for production. With everyone being a year older, and bringing in veterans with a good track record, I don't think inexperience will be a weakness for the upcoming season. The team's defense was another big problem last season. Kulikov was one of the best defensemen we had. With the addition of Graves and Hamilton (basically a top pair itself), there's really only one wildcard (Siegenthaler), who already looks like he's better than last season. The rest of the defense is looking pretty solid. Lastly, our team captain and arguably top offensive contributor spent so much time out of the lineup. A healthy Nico will make a big difference. With all of these problems addressed this offseason, I don't think being a playoffs bubble team is that far out of the question. LGD!

• Like 8

This team needs its players to become goal scorers. Until proven otherwise we will be basement dwellers in that category.

Will jack score 20 g

Will zacha go 25g

Nico 20g

Brat 15g

Wood 20

Igor 25g

Tatar 20g

Dougie 15g

We need the above ..essentially the entire team playing their best.. Its a tough ask

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

why do we need all of these guys to hit all of these marks? what an odd post. 

Talk about odd. Because the teams with the least amount of goals wins the cup ?   You need to score more than your opponents. Something we've sucked at for years. Teams below nhl average in goals just don't make the playoffs much.. thats not odd thats fact. Prove me wrong. 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m just confused why you think those guys need to hit those arbitrary numbers. It seems like such an odd thing. 

The Devils need to be an above average scoring team to make the playoffs, yeah — no sh!t. I just don’t think that means they’re screwed if Miles Wood doesn’t pot twenty. 

The whole “it’s a TOUGH ASK!!” is what i found odd. The Devils need great seasons from Hughes and Smith, and then they need regular normal progression from everyone else and they’ll be squarely in the playoff hunt. 

Yeah ok, a bit odd. Lol. I should have used 20 ish .  But the point is we don't have 30 or 40 goal scorers on this team we need to do it by committee which makes things tougher  .. Jack can shoot 7%   again

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Read this earlier today…some good stuff in there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

So hypothetical scenario: we get rid of blackwood due to covid bs. What do you guys think about a 1-2 year offer to tuuka rask? I know he's a perennial playoff choker, but he could get us there at least.

He’s all but retired. If by some miracle he plays again it would be for Boston only.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We claimed Mason Geertsen on waivers from the Rangers. 26 year old D-man, career AHLer,   519 PIM in 297 career games. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/new-jersey-devils-claim-mason-geertsen-waivers-new-york-rangers-1.1701713%3ftsn-amp

My first thought was why? But could it be so he can suit up against the likes of Ryan Reaves?

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

So hypothetical scenario: we get rid of blackwood due to covid bs. What do you guys think about a 1-2 year offer to tuuka rask? I know he's a perennial playoff choker, but he could get us there at least.

Not even worth talking about. We’re not getting rid of Blackwood. 

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wait no way we claimed the guy who was trying to stir up sh!t all night in that game last week?  That's actually hilarious, if Lou was still around I'd suggest he claimed him just to bury him.

Well this is directly related to the Devils, if you actually listen to it, it does sound like Fitz is annoyed by the whole situation. Not giving any other of my opinions in here but I summed up what Fitz had to say about the situation... 

28:50 mark for the Blackwood discussion. Fitz said Blackwood was actually in the chair to get the shot and he got up and left. Fitz said he doesn't wanna hear anything from the other players that Blackwood might be getting it soon and that they had good talks with him, Fitz just wants to hear when he does get it. Asking players to not go out to dinner or anything with Blackwood cause that would be breaking protocols for them too. He needs the players to police themselves. Blackwood has to sit in a different locker room, has to sit by himself on the bus. Fitz said they would all have to wear masks on long road trips and they got the shot to not have to wear masks.

Also said there were other players on the team that were hesitant but did end up getting it.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3