The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

I know it started an argument earlier, but that  Fitzgerald interview on the Ray and Dregs podcast is great. I love the way he talks about Jersey as a destination for players and says it’s “more than the Meadowlands and Secacus.” He sounds genuinely excited about the way the team is coming together. 

He also apparently scored 2 shorthanded goals on the same penalty after he high sticked someone and a teammate got assigned the penalty by accident.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He also apparently scored 2 shorthanded goals on the same penalty after he high sticked someone and a teammate got assigned the penalty by accident.  

I had something similar happen to me when I was a kid. Game was tied with a minute left, and our best forward and I both went at the same guy with the puck along the boards. He basically cross checked the guy in the neck and he went down in a heap. 

I immediately started claiming responsibility, and I guess they missed it because they put me in the box instead of him. 

He scored about 15 seconds into the ensuing penalty kill, we killed off the balance, and we won. 

MVP!!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I know it started an argument earlier, but that  Fitzgerald interview on the Ray and Dregs podcast is great. I love the way he talks about Jersey as a destination for players and says it’s “more than the Meadowlands and Secacus.” He sounds genuinely excited about the way the team is coming together. 

Yeah it sure feels like he's in this thing for the long haul...don't see him resigning to take a GM role somewhere else...maybe he gets canned someday the way just about all GMs do, but don't see that happening anytime soon. 

Who can really say, but I think he appreciates that he finally got a shot to be a GM somewhere...and it doesn't hurt that his team looks like it's at least ready to start becoming consistently relevant.  And this isn't a Sandy Alderson situation, where the GM inherits a lot of the previous GM's talent, then happily takes credit when the team actually makes some noise.  Shero and Fitz started building from near-scratch, and although it's not like every move they've made has worked out, it most definitely feels like Fitz has continued to move this along in the right direction (especially with some terrific seller moves).

2 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I wonder if any of the players ever go west of Newark. Like for some hikes or fishing. Del water gap is a beautiful place for a day hike for example. 

That sounds like the kind of stuff that Fitz was trying to sell free agents on. Plus quiet suburbs, the shore, etc. Something for everyone was his selling point and it seemed to work for Hamilton and Bernier. He said he sent something to every agent about New Jersey 

22 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I wonder if any of the players ever go west of Newark. Like for some hikes or fishing. Del water gap is a beautiful place for a day hike for example. 

Sadly in my experience, whenever I go out of state and meet people who've never been to NJ, many of them really think Newark/Union City/Jersey City (especially the less-nice areas) is what the whole state is like.  When I mention beaches, farms, and many far more wipe-open rural areas that have an almost country-like feel to them, they almost look like they can't believe it.  Hunterdon County (where I live, in Clinton) couldn't be LESS like the areas just outside NYC.  But amazingly you can be in NYC in about 75 mins or so.  I can get home from a Devils game in well under an hour.  

51 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That sounds like the kind of stuff that Fitz was trying to sell free agents on. Plus quiet suburbs, the shore, etc. Something for everyone was his selling point and it seemed to work for Hamilton and Bernier. He said he sent something to every agent about New Jersey 

I saw someone recently saying that Sharangovich lives out of the city in the suburbs somewhere and Nico, Zacha, and Bratt have all been spotten in Hopewell(of all places). 

EDIT:Sorry, meant to reply to @pumpkin cutter

Edited by NJDevils1214

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I saw someone recently saying that Sharangovich lives out of the city in the suburbs somewhere and Nico, Zacha, and Bratt have all been spotten in Hopewell(of all places). 

EDIT:Sorry, meant to reply to @pumpkin cutter

i can definitely see sharangovich live on a farm. 

how cool is it to finally have a team that is fun personality wise(also gameplay). there's only a few goofballs on the team i don't care for, but for the majority it's been fun sein the kids grow. 

5 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i can definitely see sharangovich live on a farm. 

how cool is it to finally have a team that is fun personality wise(also gameplay). there's only a few goofballs on the team i don't care for, but for the majority it's been fun sein the kids grow. 

Yeah i think it's a great atmosphere in general for the team and why i feel like they can take a bit a losing while they get their sh!t together.

When you compare a bunch of kids who JUST made the NHL, made new friends, no kids, living the big life etc etc it's a true dream for them to play in the NHL and that rush is going to last for a bit.

It's a very very different dynamic than when you have a bunch of older guys who's been there for awhile who maybe havent won a lot and get desperate, over the hill/ past their prime, desperate for their last chance at a cup, maybe bitter by past experiences, #1 focus is their family and well being, or maybe they are guys who came to the team with a chip on their shoulders to prove something etc etc.

Basically very different dynamic and based on that i can really understand Zajac's stance and quotes from last year cause i get it

On 10/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, MB3 said:

Weekes is breaking a lot of news everywhere. I listened to his interview on Spittin Chiclets (amazing interview btw) and he's sort of nestling into the hockey writer / news breaker with sources guy. Doing a great job at it, so far.

I always assumed Marty was his source for breaking news here.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:52 AM, MB3 said:

she got in the habit a few years ago of replying to / publicly shaming anyone who said mean things to her on twitter. and, if you know twitter, you know the best way to avoid twitter trolls is to engage them and ask for more.

Yeah Amanda definitely is a bit thin skinned and somewhat of an attention seeker on top of it. She actively seeks out trolls to try to troll shame them which isn’t something a person with open anxiety issues should be doing. At least with Twitter you can just scroll past the nonsense, I do it with her OT posts a lot better than she does with her haters.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I wouldn’t mind any of the brothers on this team. 

Unless them come with 8-year contract exertions, I'm good.

Think Keith, Brady and Mathew all are working behind the scenes here to get them all together in St. Louis. Definitely a little "tinfoil hat" theorizing going on here but... I assume stay out of that mess unless, again, either can be had for relative pennies on the dollar.

8 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Unless them come with 8-year contract exertions, I'm good.

Think Keith, Brady and Mathew all are working behind the scenes here to get them all together in St. Louis. Definitely a little "tinfoil hat" theorizing going on here but... I assume stay out of that mess unless, again, either can be had for relative pennies on the dollar.

That’s some truly entitled bullsh!t if that’s the case. What happened to playing for the team that drafted you? All these fvcktards wanna ‘go home’. It’s fvcking lame. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s some truly entitled bullsh!t if that’s the case. What happened to playing for the team that drafted you? All these fvcktards wanna ‘go home’. It’s fvcking lame. 

I don’t know what their level of fanship is, but if I were blessed enough to make the NHL, and then I had a choice of going to whatever team I felt like going to, I have to imagine I’ll be waiting for the Devils to call.

• Like 1