The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

43 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah, I'm done with this guy, hope we have another prospect in the system who can take the #1 job sooner rather than later... 

Amanda "but you are kinda leaning towards?(getting the shot)" 

Blackwood "unfortunately, yes" and then laughs

Unless it's part of the Devils' plan to more or less force his hand into doing the right thing here, they've got to stop putting him in front of a mic. Clearly not the most outspoken or well-spoken guy. 

Though if Lou was still running this team I could totally see him orchestrating that. Maybe Fitz is doing the same thing.

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Vesey signs for one year, $800k

To be honest, he really didn't come across well in that documentary about the Leafs. Granted he got all of about 10 minutes of screen time in one episode, and the editing team could paint any sort of narrative they wanted to with the footage.

As long as he understands his role here...

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If he doesn’t he’ll be shown the door, quickly. He’s a PTO guy, I think he knows the score here.

I don’t think that’s even a concern, he barely found a job and signed for almost the league minimum. I doubt he thinks he is playing first line minutes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think that’s even a concern, he barely found a job and signed for almost the league minimum. I doubt he thinks he is playing first line minutes. 

Plus he’s also been on like 4 teams since the Rags. He should be happy just to stick on an NHL roster. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Plus he’s also been on like 4 teams since the Rags. He should be happy just to stick on an NHL roster. 

He should be happy that someone gave him a contract, even if he doesn’t stick. He was almost out of hockey completely. Hopefully that is motivation for him and when he does play, he plays his face off hoping to get a deal for next year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Implication made by the coverage of the leafs was that he wasn't happy when he was "demoted" to the third and fourth lines on the Leafs. Thinks of himself as a scorer, not depth guy.

To your point though, he's got to realize this is really it. Can't be terribly picky at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Vessey is on a 1 way contract, correct?  So hes going to displace somebody  but its only 800,000 so can he be sent to beautiful utica

Yeah one-way deal.  Funny, for some reason I didn’t think that he’d be signed.  

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Implication made by the coverage of the leafs was that he wasn't happy when he was "demoted" to the third and fourth lines on the Leafs. Thinks of himself as a scorer, not depth guy.

To your point though, he's got to realize this is really it. Can't be terribly picky at this point.

I believe I recall both him and the staff, or maybe it was on the game broadcast, that he's working on his play in his own zone, becoming more responsible, and looking for that type of role. He looked good in pre-season and he did well on the PK. If he can keep that rolling he and Zacha will be great at giving the other team pause when they're up a man. It would be awesome, and to our benefit, if he could re-invent himself. He always had a scoring touch, but his game in his own zone has always been vomit. 

I can't speak to the documentary, I haven't seen it. Mayne he had a wakeup call having to go to a camp as a PTO. 

14 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Vessey is on a 1 way contract, correct?  So hes going to displace somebody  but its only 800,000 so can he be sent to beautiful utica

Hopefully Johnsson, but at the very least maybe someone that can fill in where needed. You wanna have some NHL experience on the bench in case guys get hurt.

I didn't see a whole lot from Vesey to get a contract, but I guess the recent rash of injuries right before the season opener forced the Devils hand and/or they figured it was nice to have a little bit more depth in case of injuries.

I still remember that one year we had Komisarek, Kaberle and Fedotenko on PTO's and none made it.  I also remember we had Stralman on a PTO only to release him, he then he signs with the Rangers and becomes one of their better defensemen.

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Might be missing a lot of starters to start the season if they don't heal up soon...

Severson, Thompson and Bernier did practice before the rest of the team today, so they are likely close to coming back.

I am wondering about Miles Wood.  He must be on his 6th or 7th "maintenance day" by now.  Devils are likely hiding that he is more injured than they are suggesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I didn't see a whole lot from Vesey to get a contract, but I guess the recent rash of injuries right before the season opener forced the Devils hand and/or they figured it was nice to have a little bit more depth in case of injuries.

I still remember that one year we had Komisarek, Kaberle and Fedotenko on PTO's and none made it.  I also remember we had Stralman on a PTO only to release him, he then he signs with the Rangers and becomes one of their better defensemen.

Yeah well it's hard to get a spot as a 26 dman on a team with a star studded d-corp like Salvador, Zidlicky, Harrold, Fayne, Volchenkov, Greene, Larsson and Tallinder. 

Pretty frustrating cause Stralman has been solid for the rangers and Tampa big time through all the following years as we plunged into darkness after that year

Edited by SterioDesign

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah well it's hard to get a spot as a 26 dman on a team with a star studded d-corp like Salvador, Zidlicky, Harrold, Fayne, Volchenkov, Greene, Larsson and Tallinder. 

Pretty frustrating cause Stralman has been solid for the rangers and Tampa big time through all the following years as we plunged into darkness after that year

I get irrationally angry knowing that man was on the point for the first PP unit on the 2012 team....

29 minutes ago, jagknife said:
Not surprised, would rather him get actual playing time than bottom 6 minutes

Yeah he needs ice time, ice time, and more ice time, and he wasn't going to get that with the Devils.  He'll get his chance with the big club soon enough. 

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah he needs ice time, ice time, and more ice time, and he wasn't going to get that with the Devils.  He'll get his chance with the big club soon enough. 

With the way injuries went this week, he could be up here before we know it. Seems Mercer has made the team which is impressive considering the center depth. Much like Bratt a few years ago, he made the coaches decision easy.
 Boqvist needs to step up in Utica or he’ll be an afterthought pretty soon. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

With the way injuries went this week, he could be up here before we know it. Seems Mercer has made the team which is impressive considering the center depth. Much like Bratt a few years ago, he made the coaches decision easy.
 Boqvist needs to step up in Utica or he’ll be an afterthought pretty soon. 

Boqvist is about to enter his Age 23 season, with younger and better competition starting to force their way into the picture...it's definitely getting to the point where he'd better start to show more soon.  It's starting to feel like he might be one of those "throw-in" types...a guy who was drafted just high enough and has done just enough in the AHL (Nick Merkley-types) to become part of a package for a "right now" type of player who can help.  But it does feel like time's running short...it's flown by, but it's already been four years since he was drafted.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boqvist is about to enter his Age 23 season, with younger and better competition starting to force their way into the picture...it's definitely getting to the point where he'd better start to show more soon.  It's starting to feel like he might be one of those "throw-in" types...a guy who was drafted just high enough and has done just enough in the AHL to become part of a package for a "right now" type of player who can help (guys like Nick Merkley).  But it does feel like time's running short...it's flown by, but it's already been four years since he was drafted.  

I believe that Boqvist is another one of those stat-nerd darlings.  I believe that is why he is being given chance after chance even though he probably doesn't deserve it.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boqvist is about to enter his Age 23 season, with younger and better competition starting to force their way into the picture...it's definitely getting to the point where he'd better start to show more soon.  It's starting to feel like he might be one of those "throw-in" types...a guy who was drafted just high enough and has done just enough in the AHL to become part of a package for a "right now" type of player who can help (guys like Nick Merkley).  But it does feel like time's running short...it's flown by, but it's already been four years since he was drafted.  

He’s no good. He’s not going to suddenly be good.