The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, Wood too, but the defense scares me without those two. Your 3rd or 4th best guy is Siegenthaler? That’s a problem. 

Yeah, I mean, Geertsen and Jaros as staples in the lineup is scary sh!t.  I would like to see Walsh and/or Zaitsev, if we're being forced to pick from our depth chart.

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, Wood too, but the defense scares me without those two. Your 3rd or 4th best guy is Siegenthaler? That’s a problem. 

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I mean, Geertsen and Jaros as staples in the lineup is scary sh!t.  I would like to see Walsh and/or Zaitsev, if we're being forced to pick from our depth chart.

i think the way to "positively" look at this would be that those guys are likely expandable temporary plugs while we have guys in our system with higher potential but they need to play more minutes in the AHL.

I could be wrong but it does feel better to see it that way haha

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isn’t the 9 game thing only for players going back to juniors? I’m sure we’ll see a bit of Holtz this year as injuries pile up and Johnsson continues to do very little. 

Got this from the NHL website... 

"A player on an entry-level contract can skate in nine games before teams must decide whether to send him to the American Hockey League or junior hockey and delay the start of their contract to the following season. Teams still can send a player down after his 10th game, but it would use up the first season of his contract regardless of how many more NHL games he played."

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Got this from the NHL website... 

"A player on an entry-level contract can skate in nine games before teams must decide whether to send him to the American Hockey League or junior hockey and delay the start of their contract to the following season. Teams still can send a player down after his 10th game, but it would use up the first season of his contract regardless of how many more NHL games he played."

Ah that makes sense. Thank you.

I feel like he’s going to get his games. He’s gotta be the first guy in line to come up if any top 9 wings go down. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isn’t the 9 game thing only for players going back to juniors? I’m sure we’ll see a bit of Holtz this year as injuries pile up and Johnsson continues to do very little. 

You might be right. I can never remember all the specific call-up rules. 

nvm just saw SH’s post. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

this is a fun follow for Devils fans. The goals are mostly in the last decade for obvious reasons but they have goals going back to the 80’s. 

I was actually at that game.  Our normal seats were in sec 101 (row 17, seats 7 &8) but for playoff years we sometimes switched it up as our season tickets were shared with someone else.  For that game we sat in extras we bought up in the 200's by the red line.  I remember that goal pretty vividly with McKay standing there with his arms up after he got that goal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lazer said:

i called tyce thompson but didnt know he was injured; i like his game and think hes one of the kids coming up.

Fitz had a lot of good things to say about him on the Ray and Dregs podcast. He says Thompson’s “motor never stops.” Sounds like a great role player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

oh no, i hope reaves doesn’t throw a cheap hit like he does *checks notes* in every single other game he’s ever played in his pathetic embarrassment of a career.

That's what im worried about with these goons. They are often not getting a lot of ice time and want to make the best of their rare opportunities and they often "force" a hit or something. They can't just wait for the "right opportunity" cause it might not happen and that's when it's dangerous

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know he is a beat writer for the Rangers, but could Carpiniello stop with the ass-kissing of that franchise for even a second?  He had to include that "slew foot" part in there even though the coach of the team he loves even said he didn't think it was a slew foot.

Well everyone has their view on that still and i think the jury is still out on that one. Hell many people who do like Subban in here admitted it was clearly a slew foot.

I'll go on record saying that i personally gave him the benefit of the doubt eventhough he had a long slewfoot history

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well everyone has their view on that still and i think the jury is still out on that one. Hell many people who do like Subban in here admitted it was clearly a slew foot.

I'll go on record saying that i personally gave him the benefit of the doubt eventhough he had a long slewfoot history

It was as slew foot as they come, and if he didn’t want to fight Kreider, he definitely doesn’t want Reaves. 

I haven’t heard anything about Reaves, how hurt is he?

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t thing Subban was looking to injure (that came from how Reaves fell) but he was definitely dragging that leg knowing it would make contact with Reaves. It was avoidable. But Reaves complaining about a cheap shot is pretty funny.

That’s not inaccurate. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It was as slew foot as they come, and if he didn’t want to fight Kreider, he definitely doesn’t want Reaves. 

I haven’t heard anything about Reaves, how hurt is he?

I read he was fine and day-to-day

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t thing Subban was looking to injure (that came from how Reaves fell) but he was definitely dragging that leg knowing it would make contact with Reaves. It was avoidable. But Reaves complaining about a cheap shot is pretty funny.

Well if you're saying that he was definitely dragging that leg to make contact with reaves... that's the definition of a slewfoot lol Not sure why you disagree with that beat writer then? I'm not even trolling or throwing my personal opinion here lol it just seems contradictory

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well if you're saying that he was definitely dragging that leg to make contact with reaves... that's the definition of a slewfoot lol Not sure why you disagree with that beat writer then? I'm not even trolling or throwing my personal opinion here lol it just seems contradictory

My understanding of a slew foot is using your feet/legs to take out another guy’s feet/legs. While there are ways you could stick a leg out to try to get in a guy’s way that are not slew footing, Subban did not do that, whether he intended to slew or not, he slewed lol. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My understanding of a slew foot is using your feet/legs to take out another guy’s feet/legs. While there are ways you could stick a leg out to try to get in a guy’s way that are not slew footing, Subban did not do that, whether he intended to slew or not, he slewed lol. 

Well that's where i just don't understand the previous comments haha unless the focus is on "he didnt tried to injure / hurt him". Then i agree, i dont think that was the intention. But it's like someone would say "he didn't punch him"... then next comment say "he definitely used his fist to strike him"... well thats the definition of a punch lol anyway... its pretty irrelevant now. I just hope Reaves doesn't go after the young guys

Edited by SterioDesign

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I was saying he clearly knew he was going to make leg on leg contact. People can argue over whether it was a text book slew foot or not but he knew what he was doing. I don’t think he was intending to injure anyone but he definitely knew his leg was going to hit the back of Reaves’. He could easily have avoided that. So it makes it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt when you add in that he has a history of slew footing. 

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's where i just don't understand the previous comments haha unless the focus is on "he didnt tried to injure / hurt him". Then i agree, i dont think that was the intention. But it's like someone would say "he didn't punch him"... then next comment say "he definitely used his fist to strike him"... well thats the definition of a punch lol anyway... its pretty irrelevant now. I just hope Reaves doesn't go after the young guys

Your example is a little off. It’s like the difference between deliberately elbowing a guy in the head and the guy ducking at the last minute and dropping his head right into your elbow while you are trying to take his body into the boards. You didn’t intend to elbow him in the head, but you still did. 

I don’t think PK was trying to hurt him, but he was sure as sh!t trying to trip him knowing that it was a risk, which is another distinction.