The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Someone tell me how the Devils are going to have any success this year with a chance of sniffing a possible playoff spot without Jack?  I’m fvcking livid and wanted to break the table in the Lofts when it happened.  The team is built around him, no one in the lineup can obviously replace him.  Fvcked up year if he’s out for the majority of it.  Hope the Seattle needle falls on 55’s head, that fvcking pr!ck.

I think Fleury will be one of the 3 goalies for sure. Carter had a rough season last season, we'll see how he performs this year.

Price, god knows when he'll be back and we know he's always starting season pretty bad. He's been pretty subpar in the last 4 seasons, .890 at some point last season. But he could be 0.560 and they'd still take him so wtv.

Kuemper and Bingington its hard to say. I guess we'll see

8x8 i think we're getting a fvcking bargain. And that's the reason why i think it's beneficial to sign him early, so that his value is not at its peak yet.

8x9 i feel is "fair" considering it's very likely that he'll be worth that. But there's a bit of faith that he'll reach that before he showed it already.

8x10 i'd still feel he can reach that worth but to sign at that right now without him playing a full season showing he's worth that may look like a gamble. 

Unless his agent is getting in his head. If i'm jack seeing the potential in NJ has with all the young guys and since his brother is coming and he's probably wishing that his older brother eventually comes along. I could see him taking a slightly smaller deal like McDavid did. And hopefully encouraging his roommate to do the same.

Him signing at a discount for us could sent a ripple effect through the whole team for the future. Again, it could. We're not seeing that in Colorado after MacKinnon did it but who knows. I don't expect any of our players to do it cause it's a lot of money to leave on the table. But i'd be delighted to see this team heading in that direction. Focusing on staying together and taking a slight pay cut so that the team can be better and win. 

Edited by SterioDesign

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

let's play a hypothetical. The Devils have just announced they've signed Jack Hughes to an 8 year contract extension. What's the dollar figure (per year) that makes you go "oof... that's a lot...." 

Suzuki just signed 8/7.8. Brady Tkachuk just signed 7/8.2. We know Nico signed 7/7.25 last year. His brother just signed 6/7.8. You could argue two things: all four of those players at time of signing did more to earn that big contract -- BUT -- Jack Hughes ceiling is leaps and bounds higher than all four of those platers, save maybe his brother.

8x8 is the sweet spot for me. If it's 8x9, I'm saying "man, I dunno." If it's 8x10 or higher, I'm wondering why the Devils gave a UFA-type contract to an unproven RFA. Curious to hear everyone else's thoughts. 

if he stayed healthy he'd be worth 10 in my eyes. i just don't see him ever playing a full season. as of right now, if i were gm, i'd offer 7 mill 8 years. 

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Just another reason I love this board more than any other:

Someone on the r/devils Reddit page legitimately suggested we should pick up Damien Brunner to "fill in a top-6 role" while we deal with injuries. 

You mean like 6 years ago, right?

56 minutes ago, MB3 said:

let's play a hypothetical. The Devils have just announced they've signed Jack Hughes to an 8 year contract extension. What's the dollar figure (per year) that makes you go "oof... that's a lot...." 

Suzuki just signed 8/7.8. Brady Tkachuk just signed 7/8.2. We know Nico signed 7/7.25 last year. His brother just signed 6/7.8. You could argue two things: all four of those players at time of signing did more to earn that big contract -- BUT -- Jack Hughes ceiling is leaps and bounds higher than all four of those platers, save maybe his brother.

8x8 is the sweet spot for me. If it's 8x9, I'm saying "man, I dunno." If it's 8x10 or higher, I'm wondering why the Devils gave a UFA-type contract to an unproven RFA. Curious to hear everyone else's thoughts. 

I think $10m is the number that gives me pause. Its obvious his deal will be based on his potential rather than on what he has already done. if it comes in at 8/9.5m, I'm thinking ok, that's a lot of money but it probably makes sense and some of those years may end up being an extreme bargain. 

At 8/$10m, I think I have the same thought and tag "for an unproven RFA" at the end of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

let's play a hypothetical. The Devils have just announced they've signed Jack Hughes to an 8 year contract extension. What's the dollar figure (per year) that makes you go "oof... that's a lot....

10. I think 8 for 8 or 8 for 9 works. Once you hit 10, that’s going a bit far.

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Just another reason I love this board more than any other:

Someone on the r/devils Reddit page legitimately suggested we should pick up Damien Brunner to "fill in a top-6 role" while we deal with injuries. 

I saw that but it was a sh!tpost...i.e. Not a legitimate suggestion. There have been several of those posts like "let's go sign this old player Lou brought back 3 times" there. Just for the lolz. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

We have one center with contract for his potential. I really like how Nico play now, but is he worth his money? Did he worth this money before?

let’s see how much points Jack will produce this season. Because he did produce not so very much. Before season will end, I cants say nothing. If he will end this season with 1.0 pt per game in more than 50 games, I don’t think 10 mil is too much. If he will produce 35 points in 35/50+ games, 8 mil is too much. 

36 minutes ago, Guadana said:

We have one center with contract for his potential. I really like how Nico play now, but is he worth his money? Did he worth this money before?

let’s see how much points Jack will produce this season. Because he did produce not so very much. Before season will end, I cants say nothing. If he will end this season with 1.0 pt per game in more than 50 games, I don’t think 10 mil is too much. If he will produce 35 points in 35/50+ games, 8 mil is too much. 

I think if Nico keeps his two way game and is a 60-70 point player as a second line center, I think the $7 and change he makes will be worth it long term. But the problem is, we need Jack to be the undisputed #1C.

we have people in the fan base that think just cause Nico was the number 1 pick, he has to be McJesus, and because he was picked ahead of Makar, he better have more of an impact or his career is a failure. It’s an unrealistic expectation, it’s not like he’s freaking Alexander Daigle or Nail Yakupov. If he can stay healthy and meet a decent scoring total while being responsible defensively, I’ll take that from our young captain

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

Friedman reported yesterday Mac got the shot and he will be eligible for the Canada trip in December.

Now we just need him and Bernier healed up to, at a minimum, give our new #1 (😉) 2 solid b & c options

The fact that there are only two posts about this news after all of the previous back and forth on the topic is pure comedy. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The fact that there are only two posts about this news after all of the previous back and forth on the topic is pure comedy. 

Cause there's nothing to talk about with it anymore, he got it, he won't miss games cause of not getting it now and we can move on now. We wouldn't have had the original back and forth if he got it in the first place. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Cause there's nothing to talk about with it anymore, he got it, he won't miss games cause of not getting it now and we can move on now. We wouldn't have had the original back and forth if he got it in the first place. 

It was one of the most heated threads we have had here in recent times, and then the resolution came and it was barely mentioned. That’s weird, if you ask me. Surely the fact that he got it/is getting it was big news for the team…