The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Zetterlund back to Utica

He’s one of those guys.  Don’t ever really see him making much of an impact as an NHLer.

• Like 1

Sad news:  20 games into this season, the Devils' power play is +4 (7 PPG for, 3 SHG against).  For comparison, the Seattle Kraken (a fvcking EXPANSION TEAM) is +10.  The Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks are +11.  Even the Coyotes are +6.

I could understand this is if this was the 2014-15 Devils...but even THAT group managed to be +33 on their PP over 82 games (and were right around league-average on both the PP and PK).  There is some offensive talent on this team...their PP should not be this impotent.  

So again, why is Mark fvcking Recchi still here?!       

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Let's just trade Subban and bring him over :P

I am curious to see where he winds up next season (and for how much...I'm thinking one year, $4 million or so)...and if he makes it past the deadline as a Devil.  Unless some team suffers an injury to a key D just before the deadline, can't see him fetching much in return...unless the Devils throw in some cash...maybe that ups the draft pick.  Fitz has been a very good seller in the past, so who knows, maybe somehow he wheedles a 2nd-rounder out of some team for him.  Devils pulled that off with Greene.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I am curious to see where he winds up next season (and for how much...I'm thinking one year, $4 million or so)...and if he makes it past the deadline as a Devil.  Unless some team suffers an injury to a key D just before the deadline, can't see him fetching much in return...unless the Devils throw in some cash...maybe that ups the draft pick.  Fitz has been a very good seller in the past, so who knows, maybe somehow he wheedles a 2nd-rounder out of some team for him.  Devils pulled that off with Greene.  

Anywhere but here i'm fine with. Let's hope he goes back to MTL

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have to assume we are retaining half of his salary in any deal. Everyone knows he isn’t worth the money he is getting  and that we have the room to retain it. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to assume we are retaining half of his salary in any deal. Everyone knows he isn’t worth the money he is getting  and that we have the room to retain it. 

It wouldn't be all that much to retain by the deadline...but yeah, you're right, any deal is going to require the Devils to pick up the 50% max of his remaining coin.

At this point, feels like he'd fetch a 4th-rounder.  Depending on where the Devils are at that point, for that kind of return I might just say screw it and say hang on to him (not sure if any of the Utica crowd would be able to fill in this year)...I know, it's only PK, but if he's playing decently and the Devils are legit competitors for a WC berth, I'd rather see them give it the ol' college try...not make any "mortgage tomorrow for today" deals of course (not the right time for that), but if keeping PK were to cost not acquiring another team's 4th-round pick, I can live with that.  Admittedly if a team got desperate and was willing to offer a second...might have to bite on that, regardless of where the Devils are.  That would give a Devils a surplus 2nd to go with a couple of surplus 4ths (they have three of them this year)...you offer a middling Utica prospect, a 2nd, and a 4th, and maybe you get a solid player who's cost-controlled for a couple of years, from a team looking to shed a little salary.  

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

MOOOOOOOK

PK will be gone...a spot will be open.  Really hoping Severson isn't here beyond next season...the guy is a -121 in 505 career games.  I know, not all his fault, bad team, tough minutes, +/- is a flawed stat, etc...but damn does this guy attract the minuses like no one else's business, not to mention that it's not like he doesn't STILL have a LOT of maddening moments.  Can anyone really say that he's gotten all that much better since the start of his career?  Hamilton and Graves aren't perfect, but they've clearly showed that there's something to be said for talent, ability, and simple hockey IQ.  Severson has just enough of those to continue play in the NHL for several more years, but not enough to play on a contender...he's had 8 seasons here and he'll be 28 by the start of next year.  Eventually it IS ok to move on and try to upgrade.