The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

That`s great we have Mukha and Hughes. To replace Smith and Severson.  
I don`t think Shakir is the next year NHL player. But now he is definitely.  KHL or AHL next year - doesnt matter where, both options are good. 
Hughes is electric, thanks God we draft Nico and have our own very good two way center. Luke playin like  a top offensive defenseman.

Severson is a good puck moving defenseman who is great on the boards. Other than that - he svcks. Over and over. Big minutes, shorter minutes, he can`t defense on the open ice. Smith... I think he is pretty ok defensively, but he doesn't have Achilles' heels, he has Achilles' feet. Hope, Smith will gain some points in the next year or two.

Mentioned this in the Muk thread, but looks like the Devils will be getting more top-heavy in a hurry (it happens), with this latest "Lock him up" deal:

Hamilton:  $9 million cap hit

Hughes:  $8 million cap hit

Hischier:  $7.25 million cap hit

Bratt:  arb-eligible RFA after this season

Zacha:  arb-eligible RFA after this season

There's obviously other players to consider too, but for now, just focusing on this group.

I didn't have the slightest issue with Hischier, Hamilton, and now Hughes getting their paydays, and I still don't.  But given the above, it does mean that some low-cost talent is going to have to contribute soon.  A team can only dip its feet in the UFA overpayment pool so many times.  Would be great if at least one of the goalies in Utica pans out, for starters.  A couple of D as well (as PK and possibly Severson depart).  

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fire the assistants, that should help.

If you're getting extra help from a pair of zilches, is that really helping?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mentioned this in the Muk thread, but looks like the Devils will be getting more top-heavy in a hurry (it happens), with this latest "Lock him up" deal:

Hamilton:  $9 million cap hit

Hughes:  $8 million cap hit

Hischier:  $7.25 million cap hit

Bratt:  arb-eligible RFA after this season

Zacha:  arb-eligible RFA after this season

There's obviously other players to consider too, but for now, just focusing on this group.

I didn't have the slightest issue with Hischier, Hamilton, and now Hughes getting their paydays, and I still don't.  But given the above, it does mean that some low-cost talent is going to have to contribute soon.  A team can only dip its feet in the UFA overpayment pool so many times.  Would be great if at least one of the goalies in Utica pans out, for starters.  A couple of D as well (as PK and possibly Severson depart).  

Tatar and Bernier will not play after their deals. Johnsson`s and Wood`s future in the Devils is questionable. We will reseign Blackwood after two year and I don`t think it will be cheap. May be Graves will have big payment. But I think after locking Hischier and Hughes, Devils save pretty enough money for the rest of the team. Bratt and Zacha will not have more money than H\H. 

And like you said, would be great if Akira or Daws will be solid NHL backupers. They are pretty good in Utica. Everybody crazy about how good Dineen coach AHL team, but I would say goaltending is a big part of success.

Edited by Guadana

5 hours ago, Guadana said:

Tatar and Bernier will not play after their deals. Johnsson`s and Wood`s future in the Devils is questionable. We will reseign Blackwood after two year and I don`t think it will be cheap. May be Graves will have big payment. But I think after locking Hischier and Hughes, Devils save pretty enough money for the rest of the team. Bratt and Zacha will not have more money than H\H. 

And like you said, would be great if Akira or Daws will be solid NHL backupers. They are pretty good in Utica. Everybody crazy about how good Dineen coach AHL team, but I would say goaltending is a big part of success.

Tatar and Bernier are obvious short-term signings…they’ll be here a max of two years each, and then the Devils will move on (hopefully from within).  Never implied that Bratt or Zacha would make more than the 3 Hs…but if they play well this year, gotta figure they make at least $5 million AAV each.  Graves is solid and still fairly young…would love to see him stick around.

Not saying that the situation is dire or anything…just that it’s becoming more and more crucial for the Devils to have ELC talent contributions fairly soon.

I do like Blackwood but proven he ain’t.  We’ll find how good he really is this season and next.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, eldon said:

Concessions and souvenirs could easily be cut in half and they'd sell a lot more and probably make more than they are now. 

Dollar hot dog night is still the greatest thing I have ever seen. 

I ate 2 when I got there at 6:30 and two more in the 3rd period, just because it was dollar hot dog night and I felt like I was supposed to. 

But guys were coming back with shipping boxes full of hot dogs and were just tossing them out to people for free. It became a contest to see how far away they could “serve” people. Some of them were hitting people two sections away!

And when the Devils scored, forget it, they just started flinging handfuls of hot dogs in the air. People were jumping for them like they were Mardi Gras beads, others who didn’t pay attention were getting plunked in the head with dollar dogs. 

Granted, not every night can be dollar hot dog night, but it was a sight to behold. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tatar and Bernier are obvious short-term signings…they’ll be here a max of two years each, and then the Devils will move on (hopefully from within).  Never implied that Bratt or Zacha would make more than the 3 Hs…but if they play well this year, gotta figure they make at least $5 million AAV each.  Graves is solid and still fairly young…would love to see him stick around.

Not saying that the situation is dire or anything…just that it’s becoming more and more crucial for the Devils to have ELC talent contributions fairly soon.

I do like Blackwood but proven he ain’t.  We’ll find how good he really is this season and next.

It’s pretty simple. If we have enough guys coming up through our organization that need to be paid a lot of money, we did something right and we probably had a good shot at or won some Cups. I’m fine with that. Last thing in the world I am worried about after watching scrub teams for 5-6 years is having too many talented players. 

I see both my Reds and Bengals are in the top 10 so that’s pretty cool. 

As for the NHL, I can only compare the Rock to the one other arena I’ve been to - Nationwide in Columbus. Who they have ranked 4th. Nationwide definitely has a much nicer area right around the arena as far as restaurants and bars go, and the concessions are better, but the Rock isn’t that far off in everything else, imo.

One thing I’ve noticed both times I’ve seen games at the Rock is how friendly all the workers are, which definitely makes for a nicer experience. 

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Can't say I actually disagree when you are talking about merch, concessions and face value on Ticketmaster. I've been filling out every single survey I get that concessions and merch are too high and that I won't spend a dime on concessions until they adopt fan friendly concession pricing. 

In terms of Newark safety I've never had an issue. 

This article says Vegas is #2 worse which seems absurd considering how much their atmosphere gets praise. Islanders at #3 makes no sense with their new building and how much their fans have said its fantastic. The distance from city center sh!t is stupid, especially with the "least accessible" nonsense when everyone out there mainly drives to games anyway. Plus they are adding transportation too. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s pretty simple. If we have enough guys coming up through our organization that need to be paid a lot of money, we did something right and we probably had a good shot at or won some Cups. I’m fine with that. Last thing in the world I am worried about after watching scrub teams for 5-6 years is having too many talented players. 

Never said that I was worried.  Agree that this is a good problem, though two of the guys that got paid clearly got paid for potential (which I have no issue with, even though it’s a risk).  The Devils appear to be putting a nice core together.  Will be great if some of the young D can stick.

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nor can I. The food can be better, but I otherwise have no complaints.

Sure, there's some issues, one of which you've just touched on...there are a LOT of mediocre to poor offerings, as far as food goes (I'm to the point that if I'm not sitting in the restaurant or loft seats, that I'd rather just eat elsewhere before the game...food will be better AND cheaper).  The former Fire and Ice Lounges are now too neutral, sterile and safe for their own good...they're simply boring, cafeteria-like.  And some of the bathrooms could REALLY use some serious TLC at this point.

But for watching a hockey game, the place is terrific...great sightlines all-around, good atmosphere...and that's why I'm going there.  I don't HAVE to eat at the game.  I don't HAVE to buy merch, and if I really want to, I sure as hell don't have to buy it at the game...I can find Devils merch in plenty of other places, though I admit it, I'm not necessarily representing most of the fan base, when it comes to wanting merch.  I don't really have much interest in Devils trinket-type stuff (I have everything I could ever want in my cave already, and don't really feel like adding even more).  I don't do Devils jackets, T-shirts, etc.  I'm all about GWs at this point, which I wear to games; my daughter likes any jerseys that I buy for her (and she has a Devils hoodie), but she really likes the HFC jerseys, so as soon as this year's version becomes available, I'll get her one of those.  But I do get that many fans do like to eat at the game and do like to buy souvenirs...I know I'm more of an exception.

On one hand, I get fans not being happy about "at the game" merch prices, but at the same time, you know prices are always going to be ridiculous at events...be it concerts, sporting events, etc.  Is the pricing really that much lower at other stadiums and arenas?  

• Like 1

I’ll eat something at a game. The food in our arena is awful. 

Generally I don’t buy merch, at least not since my daughter was little. It’s overpriced and you can get the same stuff online cheaper. It used to be you could get things at the game that were exclusive to the arena, and that was cool. 

That said, I’ve never not had a good time at a game, even when we were beaten badly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is the pricing really that much lower at other stadiums and arenas?  

Yes, that's why I always talk about this. Just because it's an event and the vast majority of arenas and stadiums charge ridiculous prices doesn't mean we should accept it because that's just the way it is if you wanna attend an event. 

The Atlanta Falcons / Atlanta United were one of the first places to lower concession stand prices when their new stadium opened and they found out that they made more revenue in concessions because people showed up earlier and spent more because they didn't feel ripped off. They also spent more on merchandise because of it as well. 

This is why I always fill out the surveys that I won't purchase anything until the Prudential Center adopts this.

These were the prices in 2017 when they started it... 

c97f1b9b6df684a2797a8d53a7b7efee.png.7d72fe96ed367bccacc6013ceace734a.png

Hell it was working so well they LOWERED the prices Check it out... 

https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/mercedes-benz-stadium-cuts-food-prices-second-time/

FB-PriceDrops_2019-1.jpg

There are other teams and stadiums that have adopted this but for whatever reason a lot of teams and buildings haven't. Even though the proof is right here it seems they are simply stuck in their ways of thinking they will make more money if they rip people off. 

I think a bottle of water at prudential is $5+, it's an absolute joke. I wish more people would send this stuff into the Devils and just stopped buying concessions all together until fan friendly prices were adopted but I've been beating this drum with the team since I went to a game in Atlanta in 2018 and nothing has changed so they clearly are set in their ways. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll eat something at a game. The food in our arena is awful. 

Generally I don’t buy merch, at least not since my daughter was little. It’s overpriced and you can get the same stuff online cheaper. It used to be you could get things at the game that were exclusive to the arena, and that was cool. 

That said, I’ve never not had a good time at a game, even when we were beaten badly. 

If we're not in the loft or restaurant, we'll do a snack (cookies or something similar).  When the Devils played Seattle we had a concourse table, and got burgers and fries.  And after that, I simply told my daughter "From now on, if we're sitting in 'normal' seats, we'll just burgers and fries beforehand, somewhere else."  The fries weren't bad.  The burgers...not so good.  

@Satans Hockey thank you for that info.  Very enlightening, to say the least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Satans Hockey thank you for that info.  Very enlightening, to say the least.

It's not ever going to happen but I would love an owner who is like Arthur Blank though he did have PSLs sold for the Falcons which is another thing I could rant about for days. PSLs and a name change are basically the only 2 major things that would get me to cancel my Devils season tickets. I'm not an NFL guy so I can't speak about the Falcons but in the MLS he spends a ton of money on their Atlanta team and they have already won an MLS Cup and numerous other trophies and are almost always competitive. Only missed the playoffs 1 team since joining the league in 2017.

Here's another article about the pricing... 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cheap-beer-good-press-falcons-fan-friendly-pricing-win-win-191626117.html

“We had a number of owners who weren’t understanding the dynamic, the reasoning, the logic,” Blank said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. “[They were asking], ‘Does this make good sense economically?’ We never justified it in terms of economics, but today we can.”

“It’s working in terms of economics, but we didn’t do it in terms of economics,” Blank said. “We did it because it’s the right thing to do for the people who are supporting our business.”

"during the 2017 season, even though prices dropped by 50 percent, fans spent 16 percent more than they had at the Georgia Dome."

"A fan that’s spending less on food and drink has more to spend on merchandise; Falcons president Rich McKay noted last summer that the Falcons saw a 90-percent increase in merchandise sales from 2016 to 2017" 

Edited by Satans Hockey

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If we're not in the loft or restaurant, we'll do a snack (cookies or something similar).  When the Devils played Seattle we had a concourse table, and got burgers and fries.  And after that, I simply told my daughter "From now on, if we're sitting in 'normal' seats, we'll just burgers and fries beforehand, somewhere else."  The fries weren't bad.  The burgers...not so good.  

Stadium/arena burgers are always awful. Exception: Citi Field has (or had the last time I went, it’s been years) a Shake Shack. 

We get chicken fingers and fries. Pretty hard to mess up (though I know someone on this board got raw chicken once). Are they good? No. But we’re usually pressed for time and don’t have an opportunity to eat elsewhere. So they are good enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Stadium/arena burgers are always awful. Exception: Citi Field has (or had the last time I went, it’s been years) a Shake Shack. 

We get chicken fingers and fries. Pretty hard to mess up (though I know someone on this board got raw chicken once). Are they good? No. But we’re usually pressed for time and don’t have an opportunity to eat elsewhere. So they are good enough. 

Before the loft became a thing (and before we'd do club seats here and there), fingers + fries was my go-to for my then-younger daughter (who loves both)...quality would vary re:  the fingers, but most of the time I remember them being pretty good.