The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gillies hasn't suited up for the Devils yet.  But yeah five goalies have played for the Devils this year, which most definitely was NOT Plan A.

Just goes to show how hard it is to follow up an all-time great.  So many times, fans think that someone who can at least give you short-term success can be found without too much difficulty.  But we've seen how it works...you can get those guys who make perfect sense at the time (like Schneider), but it doesn't work out as expected.  You can have the homegrown kid who initially shows some promise (Blackwood), but before long has you wondering what his true top-end really is.  And then, having been spoiled by a guy who NEVER seemed to get hurt during his prime, you see that most goalies will succumb to injuries and missed games from time to time.

Remember when Brodeur was an automatic for so long (always for 70+ games), and we would laugh at teams like the Flyers and their revolving door of goalies?  Well that's the Devils now.  Not sure who's available in the upcoming draft, but the Devils might have to think about spending a higher pick on a goalie very soon.      

Fitz needs to do his due diligence on these backups he signs too. One was mentally done with hockey, the other had a degenerative hip problem that he had to know about. Hey Tommy- do some fvcking research before you sign the next one. Please. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz needs to do his due diligence on these backups he signs too. One was mentally done with hockey, the other had a degenerative hip problem that he had to know about. Hey Tommy- do some fvcking research before you sign the next one. Please. 

You can get on Fitz for some things, but was he supposed to know that Crawford was gonna just bail like he did?  And did even Bernier himself have any idea about his hip?  He was coming off a solid season last year...I don't he signed thinking it was going to turn out like this.  I think he figured to have a legit shot to start half the Devils' games or more.  Sometimes it really is just sh!t luck.

BUT, I agree that, if anything, if the options from within aren't ready or are simply deemed to be not good enough, probably better to find someone a little younger.  Can't hurt.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm loath to write something off as bad luck but Fitz's goalie picks really have been bad luck the last couple years.  It's near impossible to get a feel for a guy's mental state when you're doing only virtual recruiting (Crawford) though like with Brent Sutter, sometimes you just gotta shy away from guys who really don't want to be here instead of applying the full-court press.  And who knows when Bernier actually got hurt although there were signs of this issue from early in camp, there was no indication last year or when he signed that he was damaged goods.  

Blackwood OTOH it's starting to sink in that you can't really count on him as a 55-60 game a year goalie on a good team, either healthwise or consistency-wise

Edited by NJDevs4978

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I'm loath to write something off as bad luck but Fitz's goalie picks really have been bad luck the last couple years.  It's near impossible to get a feel for a guy's mental state when you're doing only virtual recruiting (Crawford) though like with Brent Sutter, sometimes you just gotta shy away from guys who really don't want to be here instead of applying the full-court press.  And who knows when Bernier actually got hurt although there were signs of this issue from early in camp, there was no indication last year or when he signed that he was damaged goods.  

Blackwood OTOH it's starting to sink in that you can't really count on him as a 55-60 game a year goalie on a good team, either healthwise or consistency-wise

Yeah I know these team has defensive issues (and defensive COACHING issues), but I think Mac has limitations.  Feels like he's going to be more of a 25-35 game backup in a couple of years.  

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

not saying marty was involved in the gillies trade but maybe he got the nod from him.

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Devils should do this with something their fans would actually want, like "free shoelaces" or "free rope with the purchase of a pizza" or "free sock (fits perfectly over exhaust pipe!)" on their appreciation day this year. 

‘Free pillow over the face with the purchase of an Auntie Anne’s pretzel’ 

8 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

Maybe the Devils can take a Covid break like Colorado

I think they have already, but only mentally. 

8 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

he isn't playing another game. no wonder why he signed with us. 

Yep, he is done. He may be done for good. 

Any thoughts about not doing a GDT for today’s game?  I may be reaching here but maybe the only way the devils win is if a GDT isn’t created.  Just a thought.  You’re free to attack if that’s a dumb idea but just trying to find something that works since clearly voodoo is needed at this point.

18 hours ago, MB3 said:

Devils should do this with something their fans would actually want, like "free shoelaces" or "free rope with the purchase of a pizza" or "free sock (fits perfectly over exhaust pipe!)" on their appreciation day this year. 

They should just give out paper bags 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Giants battling Devils for most clueless ownership

I’m not sure what the fake internet outrage is about this. Maybe I’m just used to the Devils having “fan appreciation night” and giving out nothing. I’d take a free soda. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure what the fake internet outrage is about this. Maybe I’m just used to the Devils having “fan appreciation night” and giving out nothing. I’d take a free soda. 

Or dollar hot dog night.  

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or dollar hot dog night.  

those were fun, and they were big hotdogs too. i remember they had em stocked in a fridge ready to go. 

I think it's time for me to accept that while the players we have on this team may be good individually, they stink together. There's just no chemistry whatsoever. hiring a new coach won't change that.  as a professional fake internet scout, i can say that this team is fvcked. 

13 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

those were fun, and they were big hotdogs too. i remember they had em stocked in a fridge ready to go. 

I think it's time for me to accept that while the players we have on this team may be good individually, they stink together. There's just no chemistry whatsoever. hiring a new coach won't change that.  as a professional fake internet scout, i can say that this team is fvcked. 

Except that’s not entirely true. Johnsson - Mercer - Bratt was one of the best lines in the league while they were together. But ofc our genius coach decided to break them up, and hasn’t tried going back to it since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

Any thoughts about not doing a GDT for today’s game?  I may be reaching here but maybe the only way the devils win is if a GDT isn’t created.  Just a thought.  You’re free to attack if that’s a dumb idea but just trying to find something that works since clearly voodoo is needed at this point.

They're Garbage Day Threads now

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

From my understanding, Giants season tickets are insanely expensive PCL’s, ranging from $1000 to $20,000. The team has been hot garbage (not quite as bad as my Devils or Jets but still) and I think “here’s a sody pop” is taken as a bit of a slap in the face. 

• Like 1

This team that can’t beat anybody has the social media team calling the Red Wings, a team who is actually doing their rebuild correctly and winning consistently this season, the ‘wheel chickens’. This sh!t is funny when the team isn’t a nightly embarrassment. It’s tone deaf and unfunny under the current circumstances.

6A4E2B4E-DD5A-4E09-9047-C3CECCDA6481.png

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

This team that can’t beat anybody has the social media team calling the Red Wings, a team who is actually doing their rebuild correctly and winning consistently this season, the ‘wheel chickens’. This sh!t is funny when the team isn’t a nightly embarrassment. It’s tone deaf and unfunny under the current circumstances.

6A4E2B4E-DD5A-4E09-9047-C3CECCDA6481.png

"DoN't BlAmE uS, wE'rE jUsT tHe SoCiAl MeDiA tEaM"

Ruff realizing he needs to try and save his job

• Like 1