The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow... looking at the picture you may be right.  My first reaction after reading your post before looking back at the image was "No fvcking way".  

How/why would he get an A?

I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn’t a Bing Devils jersey. 

New Jersey Devils (@NJDevils) / Twitter

Re:  McLeod saying that they're learning to make better reads, Ruff talking about challenging his players...is anyone going to be all that surprised if the Devils look just as shaky as they have during this latest cliff fall?  I just don't believe in this coaching staff anymore...that they'll ever come up with any answers.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

New Jersey Devils (@NJDevils) / Twitter

Re:  McLeod saying that they're learning to make better reads, Ruff taking about challenging his players...is anyone going to be all that surprised if the Devils look just as shaky as they have during this latest cliff fall?  I just don't believe in this coaching staff anymore...that they'll ever come up with any answers.  

Well they will have answers “we’re adjusting to our new style of play. It’s a growing process. These guys will get better as we continue to play more games. Oh… the season’s over? Well they’ll have all summer and camp to learn the system. We will come together as a team. It’s all about the guys in the room.”

Edited by jagknife

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Well they will have answers “we’re adjusting to our new style of play. It’s a growing process. These guys will get better as we continue to play more games. Oh… the season’s over? Well they’ll have all summer and camp to learn the system. We will come together as a team. It’s all about the guys in the room.”

It's funny, right now the Devils remind me of that 13-year-old that just brought home that completely unacceptable report card...when you're the parent of that kid, you want answers, as you're asking that kid "What are you going to do about this?  How are you going to make sure this never happens again?  You're BETTER than this...this is not OK!" 

The kid comes back with "Well...uh...I'm gonna do better.  I will."

"OK...how?  HOW are you going to do better?"  (Teen slightly and most uncomfortably shrugs a shoulder, in a "I have no idea, I just am" kind of way).

The Devils' equivalent seems to be this "It's a process...trust the process...be patient..." mantra, and nope, we're not taking questions on this...we've got this.  Of course, the problem is that no one involved has earned our trust.  And I have no idea what the process actually is, or when the hell it's supposed to show any legit progress.  All I see is a team with SOME talent getting curbstomped too many nights and often looking like the worst team in the NHL.  When does someone...ANYONE...start to get pissed about that?  Other than us?   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny, right now the Devils remind me of that 13-year-old that just brought home that completely unacceptable report card...when you're the parent of that kid, you want answers, as you're asking that kid "What are you going to do about this?  How are you going to make sure this never happens again?  You're BETTER than this...this is not OK!" 

The kid comes back with "Well...uh...I'm gonna do better.  I will."

"OK...how?  HOW are you going to do better?"  (Teen slightly and most uncomfortably shrugs a shoulder, in a "I have no idea, I just am" kind of way).

The Devils' equivalent seems to be this "It's a process...trust the process...be patient..." mantra, and nope, we're not taking questions on this...we've got this.  Of course, the problem is that no one involved has earned our trust.  And I have no idea what the process actually is, or when the hell it's supposed to show any legit progress.  All I see is a team with SOME talent getting curbstomped too many nights and often looking like the worst team in the NHL.  When does someone...ANYONE...start to get pissed about that?  Other than us?   

This is why I am almost 100% sure that the reason for no non-team employed reporters is intentional by the Devils.  This is by design so that the Devils can continue to spout the trust the process nonsense until the end of time and they will never be called out for it by the media.

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

“Well you know it takes 3 or 4 years for players to learn a system so we just need some more time… “

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

Wtf…it’s condescending to the fan base to report about yourself like this so much.

Sadly, this is who the Devils want her to be.  I could do without the shoes posts and other fluff, and yeah, it's not like she can't be annoying, but a good chunk of the "Devils employee" part of her has been manufactured by the organization.

So basically, the only "coverage" we're going to get out of the Devils is milquetoast crap like this, and "Trust the process:  brought to you by the people who've done little to earn much of your trust."

Really hope this team can become consistently competitive soon...it will make the above much easier to take.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sadly, this is who the Devils want her to be.  I could do without the shoes posts and other fluff, and yeah, it's not like she can't be annoying, but a good chunk of the "Devils employee" part of her has been manufactured by the organization.

So basically, the only "coverage" we're going to get out of the Devils is milquetoast crap like this, and "Trust the process:  brought to you by the people who've done little to earn much of your trust."

Really hope this team can become consistently competitive soon...it will make the above much easier to take.     

This is 100% what the Devils want.  They want this nonsense and not some pesky reporter from outside the org asking hard questions.  No questions about leaky roofs, abysmal PP, mystery injuries, questionable coaching decisions, etc.  Instead, it's about how great friends the players are, shoes, and how some day they may be a good team.

It certainly brings into focus what the teams priorities are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

This is 100% what the Devils want.  They want this nonsense and not some pesky reporter from outside the org asking hard questions.  No questions about leaky roofs, abysmal PP, mystery injuries, questionable coaching decisions, etc.  Instead, it's about how great friends the players are, shoes, and how some day they may be a good team.

It certainly brings into focus what the teams priorities are.

Change the focus to try to distract us from how bad the team is(has been). They think we're stupid. She'd have to be a lot better looking for this strategy to work 😂

I don’t get why she bothers people. 
She is what she is, and that is not a reporter or journalist. Getting upset with the way she “covers the team” makes no sense because she doesn’t cover the team. 

If you don’t like that the team has someone in that position, I guess that’s a different story, but it’s not her fault. 

• Like 2

She's not some stranger who just hangs around the rink on her own doing. She is absolutely sold as covering the team by her access to interviews, pre and post game press questions, usually the first handful of weak questions. That by most accounts would be considered covering the team, poorly. 

She's a pawn she's a symbol of how thin skinned this org is and we can't blame Lou any longer. The distain is that she represents our team and the garbage she spews is something a hs intern would put out for a echl team minus the shoe talk. My interpretation of that and the doctored pic she uses would lead me to think she feels there's enough catfishsble suckers out there in this world who would care about size 13EEE shoes for her to keep feeding them. 

I do post her sh!t here because I remember the days when we had a real beat guy who would never post this kind of garbage on a daily basis. TG. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, titans04 said:

She's not some stranger who just hangs around the rink on her own doing. She is absolutely sold as covering the team by her access to interviews, pre and post game press questions, usually the first handful of weak questions. That by most accounts would be considered covering the team, poorly. 

She's a pawn she's a symbol of how thin skinned this org is and we can't blame Lou any longer. The distain is that she represents our team and the garbage she spews is something a hs intern would put out for a echl team minus the shoe talk. My interpretation of that and the doctored pic she uses would lead me to think she feels there's enough catfishsble suckers out there in this world who would care about size 13EEE shoes for her to keep feeding them. 

I do post her sh!t here because I remember the days when we had a real beat guy who would never post this kind of garbage on a daily basis. TG. 

No you’re exactly right, if she was a stranger who hung around the rink, then she’d be a beat writer. She isn’t that, and if the team is somehow representing that she is, I haven’t seen it. 

But she does work for the team and not a news organization. So if that's all understood, there's no need to hate on her for the fluff. 

I have more issues with MSG. I wish Erika would get coached to ask some different questions, instead of 'how important was it' line of questions, ....'to end that losing streak' , or '...get off to a good start", etc.  And Bryce's statistic and percentage talk is cringeworthy. We know if we're playing crappy, or getting outplayed, all those stats are going to suck.  Shouldn't someone be coaching them to be more informative and interesting? 

• Like 2

I don’t think any of us would care if she wasn’t the only person with consistent daily access to info on the team. If you want to stay in the loop on the daily happenings (starting goalie, lines, etc.), she’s really all we have. But her twitter is half devils news and half personal updates (“just said hi to Nate Bastian, he’s STILL taller than me”), and we unfortunately can’t choose to not see the latter group of posts. 

Edited by nessus
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No you’re exactly right, if she was a stranger who hung around the rink, then she’d be a beat writer. She isn’t that, and if the team is somehow representing that she is, I haven’t seen it. 

I wouldn't have called TG a stranger I would bet he had even better relationships with the majority of the players because he didn't think to ask  questions about their hair, height etc. I would bet he was much more respected and players didn't cringe being asked completely irrelevant amateurish questions on a daily basis. Do you guys really believe she doesn't see herself as the top news source when it comes to covering the team? Worst yet believing she's doing a great job at it. 

16 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Change the focus to try to distract us from how bad the team is(has been). They think we're stupid. She'd have to be a lot better looking for this strategy to work 😂

Meh, not like we actually see her a whole lot, and not knocking you specifically, but it's not like anyone would ever take note of how good-looking a man doing the same job is...this is where things can be unfair for women like Amanda (who's obviously battling a weight problem, which on top of everything else, can make her a very easy target).  All I care about is how good of a job they're doing.

And sadly, she's nailing it, in terms of what the Devils want her to be:

Come up cutesy lil' blurbs to try to give the Devils more of a "human element"?  Check

Don't ever be critical and tow the company line?  Check

Dole out info in dribs and drabs as the Devils see fit?  Check

The times where she makes it about her (like with her shoes), yeah, that's kinda annoying, and that's on her.  We're really looking for her to provide us with legit info about the Devils...in short, we're not really all that interested in HER, but like MB3 pointed out, she does try to forcibly insert herself into the landscape more than she should.  

Unfortunately, in yet another example of how ownership doesn't connect with the fanbase, I think they genuinely believe that fans eat up this "Hey they're all really just regular joes!" crap...maybe some do, but I'm guessing most don't...especially when the team has won just 4 out of its past 19 games, and has sucked for the better part of a decade.  We'd really just like to know more about what's going on with the team...I get that Amanda's not ever going to be the one asking the tough questions (that was never part of her job description), but all the fluff is doing right now is pissing people off...sure, we can just ignore that stuff (and I don't really pay much attention to her tweets to begin with), but seems like for now, she (well, the organization, really) could cut back on the fluffy-fluff.  

• Like 1