The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

I wouldn't have called TG a stranger I would bet he had even better relationships with the majority of the players because he didn't think to ask  questions about their hair, height etc. I would bet he was much more respected and players didn't cringe being asked completely irrelevant amateurish questions on a daily basis. Do you guys really believe she doesn't see herself as the top news source when it comes to covering the team? Worst yet believing she's doing a great job at it. 

How she views herself isn’t a consideration to me. I know what she is and she delivers what I expect from someone in that position, plus shoes. 

• Like 1

With Amanda being pretty much the only game in town in terms of a "reporter" being there with the team day-in-day-out, she will be under the microscope even more.

I think everyone with even a half-functioning brain knows Amanda is just a PR spokesperson at this point, but it's frustrating to get constant fluff pieces and irrelevant information when the team is doing a death-spiral to the bottom of the standings for yet another year.

28 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I find it kinda hilarious and somewhat creepy the constant hate towards Amanda when Erica Wachter is arguably just as garbage and she's way more in the spotlight. Another blonde robot to regurgitate the same post-game drivel "SO HOW IMPORTANT WAS IT TO GET THIS WIN?!" hurrr idk you tell me Erica?

This is kind of the point I was trying to make but I didn't do a good job. Pretty woman distract more from crap record.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

With Amanda being pretty much the only game in town in terms of a "reporter" being there with the team day-in-day-out, she will be under the microscope even more.

I think everyone with even a half-functioning brain knows Amanda is just a PR spokesperson at this point, but it's frustrating to get constant fluff pieces and irrelevant information when the team is doing a death-spiral to the bottom of the standings for yet another year.

I think we all know she’s a PR person for the team, so then let’s get some posts about THE TEAM, and not posts about her. I don’t care who said hi to her this morning. If you’re going to be a ’team reporter’ then please give us reporting on the team and not you. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

18 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think we all know she’s a PR person for the team, so then let’s get some posts about THE TEAM, and not posts about her. I don’t care who said hi to her this morning. If you’re going to be a ’team reporter’ then please give us reporting on the team and not you. 

Is someone claiming she is a reporter? Or do people just want her to be because she is the one who has access? I don’t follow her or media coverage whatsoever, but to me, it’s pretty clear what she is, and it’s not a beat reporter or any kind of reporter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Is someone claiming she is a reporter? Or do people just want her to be because she is the one who has access? I don’t follow her or media coverage whatsoever, but to me, it’s pretty clear what she is, and it’s not a beat reporter or any kind of reporter. 

Im with you, but if we're going to argue semantics, her LITERAL job title is "All Access Host and Beat Reporter"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Im with you, but if we're going to argue semantics, her LITERAL job title is "All Access Host and Beat Reporter"

If that’s how she’s advertised, the I understand the beef. That’s exactly what I wanted to know. 

13 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I find it kinda hilarious and somewhat creepy the constant hate towards Amanda when Erica Wachter is arguably just as garbage and she's way more in the spotlight. Another blonde robot to regurgitate the same post-game drivel "SO HOW IMPORTANT WAS IT TO GET THIS WIN?!" hurrr idk you tell me Erica?

This is television sports reporting everywhere, it wasn't any different when it was Matt Loughlin asking the questions. The TV broadcast crew is always going to be skewed to homerism. 

It's the independent of the team reporters that this team is missing. Those are the ones that should be asking the tougher questions. 

• Like 4

On 12/31/2021 at 1:07 AM, eldon said:

But she does work for the team and not a news organization. So if that's all understood, there's no need to hate on her for the fluff. 

I have more issues with MSG. I wish Erika would get coached to ask some different questions, instead of 'how important was it' line of questions, ....'to end that losing streak' , or '...get off to a good start", etc.  And Bryce's statistic and percentage talk is cringeworthy. We know if we're playing crappy, or getting outplayed, all those stats are going to suck.  Shouldn't someone be coaching them to be more informative and interesting? 

While MSG doesn’t work for the team they are trying to sell a product, so when they continually hype up the Devils playoff chances when they’re ten points out in January it’s annoying to those of us that know better but they’re catering to their casual audience. Bryce and his stats are catering to the stat wonk fans, though he provides solid traditional analysis too. And how deep can Erika, or Deb Kaufman, Christine Simpson, whoever really get with four or five question, two minute hits with a player during an intermission or after a game?

On 1/1/2022 at 6:22 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

And how deep can Erika, or Deb Kaufman, Christine Simpson, whoever really get with four or five question, two minute hits with a player during an intermission or after a game?

I don't think enough people take that into consideration.  I always find it hilarious when some of the in-game or post-game reporters are criticized - for one, people like Erica and Amanda people like them didn't play the game, so they're probably not going to give you critical analysis or "tough" questions - their job is to gauge and comment on the pulse of the game.  High-level analysis stuff.  Beyond that, like you mentioned, they simply don't have the time to get too involved in discussions with players - hell, look at what Jack just did in the last game - he abruptly ended the interview practically mid-sentence on Erica - you think he really wants to stand there at the end of the 1st period, or the end of the game after a great win, and answer "tough" questions from a reporter?  fvck no.  He wants to get the hell out of their and catch his breath, and celebrate.  

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think enough people take that into consideration.  I always find it hilarious when some of the in-game or post-game reporters are criticized - for one, people like Erica and Amanda people like them didn't play the game, so they're probably not going to give you critical analysis or "tough" questions - their job is to gauge and comment on the pulse of the game.  High-level analysis stuff.  Beyond that, like you mentioned, they simply don't have the time to get too involved in discussions with players - hell, look at what Jack just did in the last game - he abruptly ended the interview practically mid-sentence on Erica - you think he really wants to stand there at the end of the 1st period, or the end of the game after a great win, and answer "tough" questions from a reporter?  fvck no.  He wants to get the hell out of their and catch his breath, and celebrate.  

yeah this.

It's simply not their job assignment. Amanda is a beat reporter paid by the team. She's obviously not going to go and throw shades at the team or start asking question that will make everyone uncomfortable so that it's constantly awkward everytime she goes to work. That's like expecting Jen Psaki, the white house press secretary to challenge Biden's decisions and be publicly critical of what they do lol cmon now. Those people will only tell what they are allowed to say.

If we really want to get the dirt and though questions, it has to come from the outside of the organization. Someone like Trent Crimm from the Independent on Ted Lasso.

• Like 1

Did we still need to draft Miro, especially when we draft Luke and zibillion LD after, in 2017 or Petterson, who has less points and can’t play defense/pk?

it’s great to see how Nico growing up as a player. Hope he will turn back his speed/quickness. Injuries did hurt some part of his game.

Fitz did make a beautiful job when he did sign Hughes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Did we still need to draft Miro, especially when we draft Luke and zibillion LD after, in 2017 or Petterson, who has less points and can’t play defense/pk?

it’s great to see how Nico growing up as a player. Hope he will turn back his speed/quickness. Injuries did hurt some part of his game.

Fitz did make a beautiful job when he did sign Hughes. 

We won't know for quite some time if signing Nico and Jack to these long-term deals was the right move, but I definitely supported rolling the dice for both.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We won't know for quite some time if signing Nico and Jack to these long-term deals was the right move, but I definitely supported rolling the dice for both.  

I like to take a bet on Hughes and give him 8kk, than take a bet after a couple of years and give 10-12. 
His today game worth it.
Nico doesn’t worth 7.5 mil before, but now he play with mister lazy .ss Zacha and Boq-who?-vist and make a job and result for his money(Hayes as example, and he play better overall game than HPetterson).

it’s a good strategy, when you have a crap roster and a lot under cap hit. Today it can look like overpayment, tomorrow it’s a cheap deal.

How much Bratt will cost for the organization - is an interesting question. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, devlman said:

But hey, she works for the team so don’t expect Devils news!

it's HER Twitter account. Not a NJ Devils twitter account. She can post wtv she wants. You guys are getting ridiculous.

Also gotta love how you picked this tweet from 15 hours ago to try to project that she's not posting about the devils and ignored the actual tweet about the few Devils twwets she posted in the last few hours. Why are you even doing this?

Edited by SterioDesign