The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t want to give up on Blackwood yet either but he’s gotta develop some consistency. He’s frustrating as hell at times, but he’s been thrown to the wolves a lot in his short career and his veteran 1B is gone once again. Would have been nice to have him behind a non-injured Schneider for a couple of years and ease him into the NHL but oh well. 

I do think his numbers will improve from where they currently are, but I see him being more of an inconsistent .910 save% kind of goalie.  Hard to win with a guy like that as your #1.

Nico says he's good to go.

Feels like the Devils got a HUGE break here...we'll see if Nico's compromised, or close to full strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico says he's good to go.

Feels like the Devils got a HUGE break here...we'll see if Nico's compromised, or close to full strength.

Hopefully he’s useful and not the other version of nico we’ve had the pleasure of seeing

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Hopefully he’s useful and not the other version of nico we’ve had the pleasure of seeing

Nico's put up 5 G and 12 A in his last 20 GP.  He's been plenty solid as of late. 

If Zacha is back and available, I think we really need to see him step up.  He's been pretty disappointing this season - I was really hoping he had taken that next step to elevate himself to a consistent 2nd or maybe even 1st line player, but so far he just seems like an above-average 3rd or 4th liner.  If that's his ceiling, that's fine, but he needs to start finding the scoresheet more often - with Nico and Jack occupying the 1C and 2C spots, Zacha isn't going up against the other team's toughest players so he has every opportunity to make an impact.    

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If Zacha is back and available, I think we really need to see him step up.  He's been pretty disappointing this season - I was really hoping he had taken that next step to elevate himself to a consistent 2nd or maybe even 1st line player, but so far he just seems like an above-average 3rd or 4th liner.  If that's his ceiling, that's fine, but he needs to start finding the scoresheet more often - with Nico and Jack occupying the 1C and 2C spots, Zacha isn't going up against the other team's toughest players so he has every opportunity to make an impact.    

He started off great, picked up where he left off (11 points in his first 14 GP)...but yeah, as has been discussed elsewhere, what's concerning lately is not only has his production dried up, it's not really a result of bad luck...he's just been invisible for about 20 games or so.  He's going into a RFA (arb-eligible) year too.  If that one actually goes to arbitration, that could get a little ugly.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He started off great, picked up where he left off (11 points in his first 14 GP)...but yeah, as has been discussed elsewhere, what's concerning lately is not only has his production dried up, it's not really a result of bad luck...he's just been invisible for about 20 games or so.  He's going into a RFA (arb-eligible) year too.  If that one actually goes to arbitration, that could get a little ugly.  

Do you consider moving him for another goalie of defensemen? Is there a reasonable trade off?

6 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Do you consider moving him for another goalie of defensemen? Is there a reasonable trade off?

I would for sure, but by himself, he'd probably fetch a similar up-and-down, question-mark kind of player.  You'd probably have to give up more to get someone you'd truly feel good about bringing in.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

There is a negative chance Zacha's value to anyone else is currently more than his value to the Devils if he can turn it around. They should not be looking to move him. 

Depends on what the return would be.  I'm open to the idea of him being dealt, but I'm sure as hell not looking to give him away, or in "Just get him the fvck outta here" mode.

I'm certainly not done with Zacha by any stretch (and I don't think the Devils are either...I'd be stunned if he didn't at least get the rest of this season to turn things around), but this latest dive into the invisibility trench is frustrating.  Really felt like he had turned a corner and was on his way to becoming a reliable producer...if there's a deal that involves him and another piece or two that can help the Devils fill a need elsewhere, I'm listening. 

Another way to put it:  I talked about that 82-game stretch where he nearly put up 30 G and 30 A...that's bought him some time and currency.  But at the same time, I really hope that 2-3 years from now, we're not saying "If Zacha can do what he did at the end of the 2019-20 season through the start of the 2021-22 season..."  The Mets operated that way for years, building teams full of "If" players.  That what Zacha is at the moment...I don't think he's a bust, but I also don't know if he's ever going to consistently put it all together.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

There is a negative chance Zacha's value to anyone else is currently more than his value to the Devils if he can turn it around. They should not be looking to move him. 

Well but you've got two top line centers in Hughes and Hischier. If we can get a competent D or goalie it may be worth it. I was still a fan of Rico when we dealt him even though he was having a down season but the return worked out

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Zacha is still young enough where someone else may see potential and an upside in him, especially if they are able to surround him with better/different talent.  

There's no question he'd be valueable to us if he can "turn it around", that's true of literally every single player ever.  The issue is that he's just underperforming and I think we've probably gotten all that we're ever going to get out of him at this point. 

I'm not completely opposed to keeping him on the third line, but when you consider the fact that you have two other centers in Vesey and McLeod, either one of those guys might be more deserving of the chance to earn the 3C role - Zacha certainly hasn't really shown anything that would warrant him having a stranglehold on that spot. 

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Zacha is still young enough where someone else may see potential and an upside in him, especially if they are able to surround him with better/different talent.  

There's no question he'd be valueable to us if he can "turn it around", that's true of literally every single player ever.  The issue is that he's just underperforming and I think we've probably gotten all that we're ever going to get out of him at this point. 

I'm not completely opposed to keeping him on the third line, but when you consider the fact that you have two other centers in Vesey and McLeod, either one of those guys might be more deserving of the chance to earn the 3C role - Zacha certainly hasn't really shown anything that would warrant him having a stranglehold on that spot. 

Vesey and McLeod definitely have a better skillset as two way forwards to fill that typical 3C role

13 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Vesey and McLeod definitely have a better skillset as two way forwards to fill that typical 3C role

Yeah that's essentially where I was going with that. We know McCloud has speed which would probably be better suited to 3C rather than 4C, and Vesey is similar.  He's shown flashes of breakaway speed and the ability to finish too.  

Zacha on the other hand seems a bit slower, and he's fairly strong on the puck, so maybe 4C is more appropriate for him, even though we all obviously hoped he'd be a 2C+. 

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Maybe someone who watched last season but not this season. 

25 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I have a funny question. I dont know maybe someone did talk about that. How much games Devils won in 3rd green jersey`s? How much games Devils need to win in black to have a better track record)

I feel like they had a decent amount of success in the throwback red and greens. It was the heritage whites that they couldn’t buy a win in. Can’t really remember our record in the reverse retros…

but they seem to play pretty well in the Jersey jerseys. 

Edited by Nicomo

Touched on this elsewhere, but Holtz has only played in 11 AHL games to date.  I'd really like to see him stay down there for the rest of season...let him develop.  He doesn't really seem like he's ready for the NHL (and being that he'll turn 20 in a couple of weeks, that's OK), especially when he's stuck with linemates who are completely wrong for him (Geertsen?!).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Touched on this elsewhere, but Holtz has only played in 11 AHL games to date.  I'd really like to see him stay down there for the rest of season...let him develop.  He doesn't really seem like he's ready for the NHL (and being that he'll turn 20 in a couple of weeks, that's OK), especially when he's stuck with linemates who are completely wrong for him (Geertsen?!).

I agree. I like the idea of giving him a look, but we’ve looked, and we know he’s not able to play in this league yet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’d like an honest Michael McLost discussion. He escapes criticism from (checks notes) all of you? 

Mcleod was drafted 11th overall. He was drafted ahead of future bruins captain Charlie McAvoy and budding superstar Jacob Chychrun.

Through Pavel Zacha’s age-22 season, where this entire forum save one or two wanted him cut or traded for scraps, he had amassed 37 goals and 71 assists for 108 points, slotting into the top-6 when needed while being a more-than-useful penalty killer. 

Today, in the middle of McLeod’s age-23 season, our little boy has 11 goals and 18 assists for 29 points in his career. Pavel Zacha put up more than those totals in 50 games last season. 

Where are the memes? Where are the “i hate this bust” comments? Where are the “trade him for nothing” comments? Where are the “McLeodPoints trackers”?

What does McLeod do to escape the criticism he so obviously, painfully deserves? He’s one of the biggest busts in franchise fvcking history, and his face should serve as a gigantic poster of why the Devils are, today, where they are. 

Those memes wouldn’t be fun because everyone would just agree that he sucks balls. 

McLeod isn’t nearly as frustrating because you never see the flashes of greatness from him like you do with Zacha. And he never puts together stretches of good play, only to tease us into thinking he might finally be breaking out. He just is what he is. A 4C that kills penalties and is good at face offs. That’s literally it.

I expect much more than that out of Zacha. 

• Like 1