The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I'm nowhere near as confident as I was in Blackwood at this point but I'm with you the problem is bigger than just him at this point. 

I'm in the same boat - I really thought he was gonna be the answer for us but so far this season he's given us a lot of reason to doubt him, yet he's far from the biggest issue ont his team.

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm in the same boat - I really thought he was gonna be the answer for us but so far this season he's given us a lot of reason to doubt him, yet he's far from the biggest issue ont his team.

I'm def wondering about some of players given the recent slumps, but with the state of things in the league, the team performance overall not being up to par, the constant injuries, and multiple sicknesses I am just not convinced we should be so worried we are waiving the white flag and starting to look elsewhere for replacements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

But when we traded for him. I did say that we'd have to deal with a LOT of sh!t. (i meant the terrible positioning, bad defensive play, selfish plays, slewfoot, dirty plays, bad decisions, potential problem in the locker room, etc etc) 

You didn't tell us about the most important horrific thing - ALL OF YOUR POSTS!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well with the cost of living so high these days can't say i'm not happy to be living in your head rent free 

This is what your girlfriend said to me. 

Because some minds is the only place for her to exist.

Edited by Guadana

To the point about fearing goalies: no there aren’t many goalies I fear in the league, even Vasi.

However, this team sh!ts their collective diapers when they see they’re playing backups or first timers. Hell, we easily could have been worse than Toronto and got blown out by David Ayers, only not getting the one goal against.

• Like 1

I had a pretty good opinion about MacBlack, but he is off this season. He and the most of his backups. With avarage goaltending devils were in the mix still. SV%, goals against in low dangerous situatios, there are a lot of stats and if you don`t trust stats you can easily check records. 
Devils are 16th team in shots per game(17th in goals per game), and 11!!! in shots against but 27 in goals against. Defensemen did some bad mistakes(who did not) but Mac didn`t save us anywhere. Like MB3 says - no one asking Vasilevsky, but we are in position where we could win 3-5 games with AVARAGE goaltending. Of course Ty Smith ruined a couple of games.

It`s too bad it`s too late and this season was lost. Devils are nowhere too bad as a team where they are.

6 hours ago, Guadana said:

This is what your girlfriend said to me. 

Because some minds is the only place for her to exist.

So not only i'm living rent free up there, you made up a girlfriend for me in there? Man, best. landlord. ever.

Moving on to real life. The actual girl i'm seeing is currently existing at Walmart doing grocery by the way lol. One of her friend is actually studying to be a psychiatrist. You want me to link you guys up cause you just admitted hearing voices from people that doesn't exist.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So not only i'm living rent free up there, you made up a girlfriend for me in there? Man, best. landlord. ever.

Moving on to real life. The actual girl i'm seeing is currently existing at Walmart doing grocery by the way lol. One of her friend is actually studying to be a psychiatrist. You want me to link you guys up cause you just admitted hearing voices from people that doesn't exist.

It's very weak. Let's stop here. Situation push me to joke about your particular girlfriend. I don`t want it.

I`m really happy for you, that you are not alone. When Subban will left njd, it will be easier for her to breathe(oh my gosh, i`m so close to joke about personalities, we absolutely must stop here)

Edited by Guadana

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

It's very weak. Let's stop here. Situation push me to joke about your particular girlfriend. I don`t want it.

I`m really happy for you, that you are not alone. When Subban will left njd, it will be easier for her to breathe(oh my gosh, i`m so close to joke about personalities, we absolutely must stop here)

Well to end this like true 8th graders would

"You started it" 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Blackwood is having a rough year by all accounts.  The thing that makes me concerned is that this is a downward trajectory that started even before the season started.  Therefore I am getting less and less inclined to chalk this up to some sort of hiccup this year.

He's got one year left...he's playing for his Devils future next season (well, duh, not like Fitz is going to be bullish on extending him if he continues to be a .900ish save% guy).  But if the Devils decide to pursue an upgrade this offseason, I won't exactly be heartbroken...I can't pencil in Blackwood for anything other than a question mark at this point.  Sucks, in that the Devils have had a hell of a time developing goalies since Marty.  Sadly the Rangers have run absolute circles around the Devils, as far as finding netminders goes.    

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's got one year left...he's playing for his Devils future next season (well, duh, not like Fitz is going to be bullish on extending him if he continues to be a .900ish save% guy).  But if the Devils decide to pursue an upgrade this offseason, I won't exactly be heartbroken...I can't pencil in Blackwood for anything other than a question mark at this point.  Sucks, in that the Devils have had a hell of a time developing goalies since Marty.  Sadly the Rangers have run absolute circles around the Devils, as far as finding netminders goes.    

I am not sure if he is still their goalie coach, but Allaire for the Rangers used to do well at developing goalies.  It seems like we have gone through a bunch in the past 10-15 years and perhaps that plays apart.

Maybe the Devils should draft a Russian goalie soon.  Seems like all the good ones are coming from there anyways.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

(Russian guy nerding Russian thing)

may be if we will draft some russian goalies, some will play on the “Russian goalie level”. Russia svck at developing centers and have problems with defensemen, but goalies are on the high level, and there were a lot of very talented kids, who just need a chance and time on the ice.

I really tired from this blind shooting and want consistency from our goalies development. We could easily drafted our Czech later, and draft a couple or more Russian goalies in previous years. Some metro teams like to do that(draft or sign) and monetize that pretty well.

we could draft Shestyorkin but prefer Connor Chatham.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

(Russian guy nerding Russian thing)

may be if we will draft some russian goalies, some will play on the “Russian goalie level”. Russia svck at developing centers and have problems with defensemen, but goalies are on the high level, and there were a lot of very talented kids, who just need a chance and time on the ice.

I really tired from this blind shooting and want consistency from our goalies development. We could easily drafted our Czech later, and draft a couple or more Russian goalies in previous years. Some metro teams like to do that(draft or sign) and monetize that pretty well.

we could draft Shestyorkin but prefer Connor Chatham.

It's been discussed, but man have the Devils failed mightily at selecting goalies, for YEARS now.  

Goalies drafted in the first three rounds not named Martin Brodeur since 1990:

1990 Round 3, #53 OA:  Mike Dunham (394 GP)

1997 Round 1, #24 OA:  JF Damphousse (6 GP)

1999 Round 1, #27 OA:  Ari Ahonen (0 GP)

2005 Round 2, #38 OA:  Jeff Frazee (1 GP)

2010 Round 3, #84 OA:  Scott Wedgewood (57 GP)

2015 Round 2, #42 OA:  Mackenzie Blackwood (127 GP)

2020 Round 3, #84 OA:  Nicholas Daws (2 GP)

And of course, several goalies picked in the 4th round or later who haven't done much, though Akira Schmid (2018 Round 5, #136 OA) can't be written off yet (same for Daws).  

Kinda scary that the Devils got more out of undrafted Kinkaid than they did from so many drafted goalies.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1