The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Ari Ahonen turned into a 12-time Stanley Cup champion, 6-time Hart trophy winning goalie with my NHL 2003 franchise, so I guess you can say he worked out. 

I was literally about to reply the same thing - dude was a beast prospect in that game.  

Middle school me couldn't understand why the Devils weren't giving him a shot in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's been discussed, but man have the Devils failed mightily at selecting goalies, for YEARS now.  

Goalies drafted in the first three rounds not named Martin Brodeur since 1990:

1990 Round 3, #53 OA:  Mike Dunham (394 GP)

1997 Round 1, #24 OA:  JF Damphousse (6 GP)

1999 Round 1, #27 OA:  Ari Ahonen (0 GP)

2005 Round 2, #38 OA:  Jeff Frazee (1 GP)

2010 Round 3, #84 OA:  Scott Wedgewood (57 GP)

2015 Round 2, #42 OA:  Mackenzie Blackwood (127 GP)

2020 Round 3, #84 OA:  Nicholas Daws (2 GP)

And of course, several goalies picked in the 4th round or later who haven't done much, though Akira Schmid (2018 Round 5, #136 OA) can't be written off yet (same for Daws).  

Kinda scary that the Devils got more out of undrafted Kinkaid than they did from so many drafted goalies.  

I mean in fairness, the Devils didn't really need to worry about drafting a goalie until.. 2010ish?

Since then at least one pick has turned into a serviceable albeit inconsistent guy in Blackwood.  Not sure where his head is at as of late though, you hope he can regain his form next year.

And then with the failed backups over the last few years.. just bad luck all around with the goaltending.  I'll fault the Devils for lots of sh!t drafting and player development for F/D but I'll give them a pass on goalies honestly.

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I was literally about to reply the same thing - dude was a beast prospect in that game.  

Middle school me couldn't understand why the Devils weren't giving him a shot in the NHL.

I only have one Ahonen memory...when Marty missed a little time in 2005-06 (think it was knee-related?), Clemmer filled in and Ahonen was called up as a back up (obviously never got into a game).  Maybe he was just nervous, but good lord, during warmups I immediately thought "OK, so that's why he's never gotten a look".  Let's just say pucks had a way of missing him and finding the net.  A LOT.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean in fairness, the Devils didn't really need to worry about drafting a goalie until.. 2010ish?

Since then at least one pick has turned into a serviceable albeit inconsistent guy in Blackwood.  Not sure where his head is at as of late though, you hope he can regain his form next year.

And then with the failed backups over the last few years.. just bad luck all around with the goaltending.  I'll fault the Devils for lots of sh!t drafting and player development for F/D but I'll give them a pass on goalies honestly.

The Devils drafted Damphousse and Ahonen because they weren't 100% sure about Marty's future (remember that his first round of contract negotiations, with Gilles Lupien as his agent, were very acrimonious...this was after winning the '95 Cup)...both Marty and Lupien were so pissy about how it all went down that Marty went on record as saying that he'd never sign another deal with the Devils.  Cooler heads clearly prevailed, and by the time Marty was up for another deal, Lou and Marty's relationship was much improved, to the point where Lou told Marty that he wouldn't deal with Lupien again, Lou and Marty were able to negotiate a deal without Lupien's involvement, and then Lupien and Marty parted ways.  (Lupien was furious with Marty for coming to terms without him...how it all went down is in Beyond The Crease).

Also, not like there were any guarantees that Marty would enjoy such insane longevity...if anything, he really helped the Devils get off the hook, in that those failed goalie picks REALLY could've bit them in the ass if not for Marty's prime being so damned long...no one could have predicted he'd basically be the same player right through his Age 37 season.  By the time that season ended, he had already played more games than any other goalie in history, without having lost a step (that changed starting with his Age 38 season)...all the while continuing to play 70+ games most seasons.      

Damphousse and Ahonen were first-rounders...if they don't play for you, that's OK (and at least Damphousse went as a throw-in in a deal that that would help the Devils in 2003), but you'd at least like to see Ahonen do enough in the AHL that a team would be willing to give you something for him, so that he might play with a big club (even it's just a middle-round pick).  I mean, those two combined to play 6 NHL games. 

Long story short:  the Devils were extraordinarily lucky that Marty bucked a more typical decline trend for so long...they couldn't have banked on that, and if they were that sure that he could be that effective for as long as he was, they don't use a pair of first-rounder to select goalies.

Frazee's failure to develop was felt by the time Marty's decline was in full swing...think the Devils couldn't have used a decent young goalie by the 2013 season?  You had old and rickety Marty and Hedberg handling most of the netminding at that point...Frazee could have at least pushed Hedberg out.

Yeah I don't hold Crawford and Bernier against the Devils...but really would be nice to see them finally draft a goalie who has a real chance to become a legit star.  1990 was a friggin' long time ago.    

• Thanks 1

The second sample is boosted by the 84-game stretch that I’ve mentioned many times.  If he disappears at roughly the rate he’s produced over his last 20 GP for the remainder of this season, that’s absolutely concerning…especially since he is playing with better linemates now.  Zacha hasn’t done quite enough to fully earn the benefit of the doubt among most fans.  Until he gets it going again, they’re understandably going to be skeptical about him.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, if he wants to put up 50 point seasons every year, obviously we have room for him. But I don’t think he has proven an ability to do that with any consistency. 

As of this season Zacha is a 39-point per 82 GP player (on pace for that, anyway).  He still has a lot of time to pick it back up...but he has to actually DO it...he needs to prove that he's just in a slump, and that even if he's never going to put up the numbers that he put up over the 84 games, show that close to 25 G and 25 A per 82 GP isn't an outlandish expectation...we'll all take that from him.    

If he finishes right around that 39-per-82 pace or worse this season (while playing with solid linemates), I can certainly understand fans starting to wonder if it's ever truly going to happen for him, even with the prior 84-game burst.  

@MB3, I think the question to ask is which Zacha is the REAL Zacha?  You've always been bullish on him whether he's earned it or not.  The 84 GP, 29 G and 31 A surge definitely earned him some more time, as far as trying to find out who he really is, but even in your Sample 2, outside of those 84 GP, he's put up 39 points in the other 91 GP (.43 PPG)...if anything, those "second" 175 GP don't suggest anything conclusive, as to what he can be counted on for.  What he has going for him at the moment is that his current slump isn't fully enough on its own to completely negate the 84 games that came before it...but it's enough to start to raise doubts and wonder a little, given his prior track record.  He's got about 40 games to turn this around.  I hope he does, in conclusive fashion.    

I’ve been pretty high on Zacha but I’m starting to get a bit concerned too. There was a time this season where he was your go-to guy in OT. He was a key piece on the power play, whether to create a nice chance, or finish the job. While Hughes was injured, Zacha had some time as the teams top offensive weapon. Since then, he has really fallen off to the point where that player from early in the season is almost unrecognizable. I, too, am hoping it’s a slump. But it is hard to ignore these extreme hot and cold streaks. It’s frustrating because his skill set is top notch, but the confidence, compete level, and focus seem to prevent him from reaching that potential consistently. 

• Like 1

Don't jump at me here - but I hold Zacha and Bratt in the same sort of category, as far as guys with enough talent to be really good players in this league but have yet to prove they can consistently do it for multiple seasons.

Now, this year Bratt seems to be on another level and it sure doesn't seem like he's going to disappear in Feb-April.  Zacha though seems like he's fading per his usual routine.

Zacha as a consistent 40-50 guy - sounds great.  Just don't think he's proven he can do it.

9 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't jump at me here - but I hold Zacha and Bratt in the same sort of category, as far as guys with enough talent to be really good players in this league but have yet to prove they can consistently do it for multiple seasons.

Now, this year Bratt seems to be on another level and it sure doesn't seem like he's going to disappear in Feb-April.  Zacha though seems like he's fading per his usual routine.

Zacha as a consistent 40-50 guy - sounds great.  Just don't think he's proven he can do it.

I’m jumping at you!

It’s a bad comparison. Bratt is a far, far better hockey player. My eye test tells me that, the advanced stats tell me that, his production tells me that (Bratt - 0.61 PPG  - Zacha 0.45 PPG). Bratt is a line driver that has played well with pretty much any line mates he’s had.

Zacha however seemed to only be at his best with none other than…Bratt. 

• Like 3

All of the rescheduled Devils games...of course, hard to think that there won't be more postponements before the season ends (some games have actually been pulled IN, to open up dates for other games):

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All of the rescheduled Devils games...of course, hard to think that there won't be more postponements before the season ends (some games have actually been pulled IN, to open up dates for other games):

They announced that they will stop testing asymptomatic players after the allstars break so it should stop that non-sense

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils-Montreal game number on the left. You can’t tell me that wasn’t on purpose 🤣

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This would matter if the Devils had a chance at the playoffs, but since this season is already a write-off... who cares I guess.

Sucks to be a player though, cramming all these extra games in.

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Edit: Grabbed an old post, whoops.

Anyway, general point was that I'm really starting to think Blackwood is just dumb as rocks.  His comments after the game last night were.. not great.

His vaccine hesitancy didn’t already convince you he was a dumb sh!t?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

What kind of action he must do now and how?

New coaching staff, get the cancerous nASS and co out from behind the bench. Let Dineen come up and work with this mentally Charmin 10-ply Ultra Soft team and if he’s not the right fit, let him go back to Utica next season.