The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

blackwood has head case written all over him. what ever "it" is , he hasnt got "it".. backup goalie!

the team likes analytics . heres one  we are scored on more than we score.

team shooting % 22nd league

at best border line playoff team with top goaltending, inconstant offense across all players. defensive roster below average

I mentioned this in the GDT, but they changed the goal horn. I know, I know, it isn't a big deal...but I don't get why. I thought it was just going to be something during the "Jersey" jersey games, but last night the first goal of the night by Bastian was the regular goal horn and every other goal was this new goal horn. 🤔

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I mentioned this in the GDT, but they changed the goal horn. I know, I know, it isn't a big deal...but I don't get why. I thought it was just going to be something during the "Jersey" jersey games, but last night the first goal of the night by Bastian was the regular goal horn and every other goal was this new goal horn. 🤔

Hoping that is was a one-off because I love our goal horn. But, management changing fan-related stuff without input from the fans is par for the course for this ownership group. Between that and hiring a terrible PA guy based off an amateur talent show just shows they don’t care.

Edited by devlman

On 1/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

I am far from certain on this but I think it was a malfunction / something broke.

One component / part of the horn was definitely missing.  I guess we'll see in future games whether it's fixed or... if that's the new horn.

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

trade deadline seems like an eternity away, but its the only interest we,ll have this dead season 

I'd love to see us make a real trade for a real player or players but it's not likely that a non-contender makes a trade like that at the deadline. I can't get excited about dealing PK Subban or Tomas Tatar for a third round pick.

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'd love to see us make a real trade for a real player or players but it's not likely that a non-contender makes a trade like that at the deadline. I can't get excited about dealing PK Subban or Tomas Tatar for a third round pick.

Yeah, you’re right, that is generally not how it works. 

Turcotte is a center…not like the Devils really need another one at the moment.

That being said, if Severson could land a legit prospect, I’d be all for it.  The problem is that it seems like so many of these “prospects” that go in these deadline deals don’t tend to give you a whole lot…Kuokkanen, Foote, etc.  The fact that he’s under contract for a reasonable amount, provides some offense, and that Fitz has been a solid seller makes me wonder if the Devils could somehow get a team to cough up a late first for him…sounds crazy, I know, but look what Fitz was able to get for Coleman and then Palms/Zajac.  If Fitz has to throw something else in (say, one of the Utes, or a mid-round pick), I’d be on board with that.

Depending on who’s available, I use that pick on a goalie.

Assuming the Devils nab other picks in other deals (Johnsson, PK), they should be able to move up and snag another first-round pick, if so inclined.  They already have a pick in every round, with three picks in the fourth.  Maybe the Devils’ second (will be a high second), a third, and a fourth lands them a bottom-10 first. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

I think there is a decent chance the Devils make a relatively big move at the deadline (seller type move obviously). Johnsson is having a decent year and can fetch a 2nd or a 3rd. Some team will want PK for some weird reason and on name alone he’ll probably fetch a 3rd. 

The guy I wonder the most about is Severson. He’s hated on this forum but the hockey community has a strong opinion of him, his advanced stats are good and he’s scoring points at a career pace this year. With 2 years left on his deal, a RHD defenseman on a cheap deal (that the devils can eat some of) who can kill penalties and play on a powerplay is probably a pretty damn hot commodity. 

I wonder if the Devils can get some sort of fringe-ready top NHL prospect? It’s too late to come up with a ton of names, but every team has those guys that they’ve been excited about that just haven’t quite made it. I’d hate to just get another first round pick that we’ll see in 6 years when we’ve all already hung ourselves. 

What about a guy like Alex Turcotte? Can the Devils send Severson (salary retained) and a 2nd round pick to a team like the Kings that are fighting for a playoff spot in desperate need of defense? With Turcotte you get one of Jack Hughes’ best friends and NTDP teammates/line mates who might be ready to break into the league? 

I would be quite happy with a deal that brings in a Turcotte type guy, but I feel like getting a prospect like that requires trading a better piece than we have to offer. 

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Turcotte is a center…not like the Devils really need another one at the moment.

That being said, if Severson could land a legit prospect, I’d be all for it.  The problem is that it seems like so many of these “prospects” that go in these deadline deals don’t tend to give you a whole lot…Kuokkanen, Foote, etc.  The fact that he’s under contract for a reasonable amount, provides some offense, and that Fitz has been a solid seller makes me wonder if the Devils could somehow get a team to cough up a late first for him…sounds crazy, I know, but look what Fitz was able to get for Coleman and then Palms/Zajac.  If Fitz has to throw something else in (say, one of the Utes, or a mid-round pick), I’d be on board with that.

Depending on who’s available, I use that pick on a goalie.

Assuming the Devils nab other picks in other deals (Johnsson, PK), they should be able to move up and snag another first-round pick, if so inclined.  They already have a pick in every round, with three picks in the fourth.  Maybe the Devils’ second (will be a high second), a third, and a fourth lands them a bottom-10 first. 

This is a great draft to have more picks in first round. If we will have an options, Fitz must trade Zacha, Severson, Johnsson, etc no matter. Ofcourse Severson, especially with retain, will give us legit prospect + 1st. Thats top-4 defenseman who can eat a lot of minutes. And after Fitz should sign free agents on the market to help here and now. When FA contracts will ends, guys from fresh drafts will step into the Devils squad. Someone from Utica will grow into something, Gritsyuk have a legit chance to be good NHLer, but he needs time. But for now I dont wanna see more unveteranian offense. Jack and Nico needs expirienced help for the next 2-3 years for better development. And Mercer too. He can`t be the best player of his line.

When (I hope) Kemmel, Slafkovsky, Perevalov or Yurov will be ready, our core will be more expirienced, mature and independent  players.

Edited by Guadana

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

Like 70% of prospect “centers” wind up wingers in the league. That’s like saying “don’t draft this catcher, we have one” in baseball. 

Where are you getting this “70%” from?  Is it based on anything legit?

Considering that the Devils have a 1C and 2C locked up for several years beyond this one, don’t think it’s all that crazy to want to see the Devils address more glaring needs (like their wingers, for starters…by acquiring a guy who calls LW or RW home).  Maybe Turcotte can transition to wing, maybe he can’t…we don’t know.  Not like making up some % means that it’s somehow probable that he’ll be a successful winger though.