The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Just in case anyone wanted statistical confirmation of what their eyes had been showing them all season long. 

I love this guy. In case you wonder why we’re bad, it’s a combination of bad defense, bad goaltending, and not scoring. Fvcking genius. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I love this guy. In case you wonder why we’re bad, it’s a combination of bad defense, bad goaltending, and not scoring. Fvcking genius. 

I wonder if it goes both ways? I'd hate to just assume without looking at any factual data. 

But like... if a team has amazing underlying numbers, great offensive chance creation and solid defence. And combining that with great finishing and solid goaltending ... would that then be a recipe for a top team?

Man i wish i understood advance stats so that i wouldnt need people like him to explain these things

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I wonder if it goes both ways? I'd hate to just assume without looking at any factual data. 

But like... if a team has amazing underlying numbers, great offensive chance creation and solid defence. And combining that with great finishing and solid goaltending ... would that then be a recipe for a top team?

Man i wish i understood advance stats so that i wouldnt need people like him to explain these things

same.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean this isn't going to be useful for most of us on this board. And it's going to be the last one I post because it doesn't generate any meaningful discussion.

I found it interesting that we had the potential to be top 10 in the league if we could actually convert some of the chances we are creating. Which only bodes well for the future if we can get someone who can actually score. 

I find these charts useful because I don't get to watch much hockey at all outside the Devil's . They are a good snapshot to give some insight to what other teams are doing. 

But as I said, will keep these to myself going forward. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I mean this isn't going to be useful for most of us on this board. And it's going to be the last one I post because it doesn't generate any meaningful discussion.

I found it interesting that we had the potential to be top 10 in the league if we could actually convert some of the chances we are creating. Which only bodes well for the future if we can get someone who can actually score. 

I find these charts useful because I don't get to watch much hockey at all outside the Devil's . They are a good snapshot to give some insight to what other teams are doing. 

The fact that people disagree with a chart doesn’t mean you shouldn’t post it. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Don't confuse a few people mocking the commentary the dude gave which was basically saying that the bottom of the ocean was wet because there's water in the ocean and water is wet.

I do find those charts really interesting personally. I just find a comment like he added was worth poking at lol I'm sure mfitz feels the same way.

16 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Just in case anyone wanted statistical confirmation of what their eyes had been showing them all season long. 

I mean I'm far from being able to comprehend what many of the advanced stats truly mean, but I wonder if this sort of thing is typical with bad teams or if the Devils are uniquely terrible.

Are other bottom-dwellers bad across the board?  Are the Devils atypical in that if they had a goaltender and someone who could actually score goals they'd be a bubble team?

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Don't confuse a few people mocking the commentary the dude gave which was basically saying that the bottom of the ocean was wet because there's water in the ocean and water is wet.

I do find those charts really interesting personally. I just find a comment like he added was worth poking at lol I'm sure mfitz feels the same way.

I agree, and would add that things to poke fun at are always worth posting. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolutely. RIP.

Lindy will miss two games while he mourns. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Losing a parent sucks no matter how much time on Earth you get with them. Feel for him and his family.

Not to sound insensitive, purely speculating here as one does on a message board, but I wonder if his dad's health has played into the situation with the Devils. Can't imagine Fitz, or anyone with some semblance of a heart, would want to fire someone when they are going through something like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Losing a parent sucks no matter how much time on Earth you get with them. Feel for him and his family.

Not to sound insensitive, purely speculating here as one does on a message board, but I wonder if his dad's health has played into the situation with the Devils. Can't imagine Fitz, or anyone with some semblance of a heart, would want to fire someone when they are going through something like this.

I don't think I am being insensitive or anything when I say I hope not. Torpedo the entire season because of one person? If anything they could have given him time off/LOA and let him go deal with his personal life. He probably still gets paid his contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not to sound insensitive either, but I didn't hear anything about him being sick or having a protracted illness. Was he sick a long time. or is it just a situation where an 88 year old man just passed away because he was 88 and that happens? Obviously it makes no difference in terms of how sad it is, but if we are speculating as to whether it affected his game or was a reason that the team hasn't fired him, I think its a fair follow-up question. 

Yeah in ways I'm blessed in that considering that I'm 51, I have relatively young parents...they're only 72.  My dad was in his mid-40s when he lost his father...he had a very hard time with it (though he tried to put on the brave face and wouldn't really talk about it)...my parents have since seen their parents pass away, but that one in particular was especially tough.  I've seen friends lose parents (sadly it's becoming more and more common of course, as we're getting older) and it's been brutal for them every time.

As much as I may not be a fan of Lindy the coach, I hope Lindy the person gets through this and has lots of support.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Not to sound insensitive either, but I didn't hear anything about him being sick or having a protracted illness. Was he sick a long time. or is it just a situation where an 88 year old man just passed away because he was 88 and that happens? Obviously it makes no difference in terms of how sad it is, but if we are speculating as to whether it affected his game or was a reason that the team hasn't fired him, I think its a fair follow-up question. 

Exactly what happened to my Grandad before Christmas. 4 days away from 88, had a heart attack and was gone. No illness , no warning. My Dad was expecting him to drive to ours for Christmas in two days time. Sometimes it just happens. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I wasn't, what Mfitz posted really made me laugh. But these things normally don't lead anywhere. (Although typically as soon as I say this it does).