The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I feel like there is no possibility we offload Zacha AND Subban AND Johnsson AND Tatar in one year...

PK is a goner, no question.

I can see Tatar being bought out…I think he’s been that meh and brings that little upside.  If someone wants to cough up a low-round pick, OK, but I’m not interested in a “Sh!t for Sh!t” deal.

Johnsson is still just young enough that if the Devils pick up some of his money, a team might take a flyer on him (it will be a Butcher-type situation…hey, we’ll take the player and his cap hit for you, but don’t expect anything in return).

I think Zacha signs a one-year, $3.5 - 4 million deal…here you go Pavel, last chance.  You’re free to go on the open market after this season.

58 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah we're not in a position anymore to fill spots with "low risk high rewards guys with something to prove.

Which was what Simmonds, PK, Tatar, etc etc were

At this point with what we have i'd rather fill our bottom 6 internally and IF we can land a top player in UFA like Forsberg then you go for it. 

The only thing is getting a goalie.

Getting a top forward or dman during the offseason feels like getting a new car or a toy. Getting a goalie feels more like one of those adult spending you have to do but don't want / like to. Like a new Washer / dryer or a new roof. It's boring, but you need it. And it's just so.... hard to gauge, you can literally sign the top goalie available and he's going to sh!t the bed all year while some scrub who was traded for a 5th round pick will be a vezina finalist. Then one guy is on top of the world one year and he's terrible the next. That's why i'm really not that down to pay a lot for a goalie, they are just historically too up and down

If Bernier is healthy, I think the Devils go into next season hoping any two out of Blackwood/Daws/Bernier pan out.  I think Fitz is one season away from looking outside the organization for any new goalies.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Getting a top forward or dman during the offseason feels like getting a new car or a toy. Getting a goalie feels more like one of those adult spending you have to do but don't want / like to. Like a new Washer / dryer or a new roof. It's boring, but you need it.

This is a great analogy lol

Edited by MadDog2020

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is a great analogy lol

Yeah that’s one of SD’s best. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d prefer Keller

I was going to say that I'm not particularly interested in that contract but noticed he's pretty much PPG on a dogsh!t team this year... that would certainly be interesting.

Not sure why they'd move him though.

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I was going to say that I'm not particularly interested in that contract but noticed he's pretty much PPG on a dogsh!t team this year... that would certainly be interesting.

Not sure why they'd move him though.

They have less than $2m in cap space, if they were looking to make another move and needed to clear salary, that would be why. 

But I would think they would start elsewhere, rather than a near PPG guy making under $5m.

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They have less than $2m in cap space, if they were looking to make another move and needed to clear salary, that would be why. 

But I would think they would start elsewhere, rather than a near PPG guy making under $5m.

He's put up 23 G and 31 A in his last 44 GP...they'd be nuts to deal him.  Has a cap hit of $7.15 million for six more years and is only 23...makes me wonder why the hell Arizona would want to trade him, but also what it would take to get him.  Gotta think Holtz is definitely one piece...maybe Mercer too.  Not saying that I'd want to deal them, but they're going to be looking for NHL-ready kids who aren't due much money.  

He's listed as a C...is that the position that he actually plays?   

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Elias with that +45 in 01…

goddamn that team was good. :(

2001 will always be up there with 1994 as what-might-have-been years to me. That 1999 series loss against Pittsburgh also sucked. 

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Damn. Just imagine what he will be able to do in a few years when he’s hitting his prime 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was there. What a night that was. 

36 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

I was there too. Crowd was buzzing all night 

I remember after the game when Kenny and Steve were doing postgame and the upstairs bar was just fvcking mobbed with everyone holding up their posters behind them, I went with my little brother and we had a gigantic "552" with Devils jersey lettering. Such a fun night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was there. What a night that was. 

I was there as well. One of the most enjoyable games ever. Patty broke the Devils point record too. My friend and I had gotten pretty lucky. We had bought tickets in like September because we wanted to be there for the throwback jerseys, not even thinking of the wins record. Then Marty’s injury happened and the record that we were expecting in December or so ended up on the same night. I remember tickets for that game skyrocketed when he started getting closer to 552

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was there as well. One of the most enjoyable games ever. Patty broke the Devils point record too. My friend and I had gotten pretty lucky. We had bought tickets in like September because we wanted to be there for the throwback jerseys, not even thinking of the wins record. Then Marty’s injury happened and the record that we were expecting in December or so ended up on the same night. I remember tickets for that game skyrocketed when he started getting closer to 552

Yeah I was there too...might have been the night we saw each other.  Were you wearing Marty's QMJHL jersey that night?  

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I was there too...might have been the night we saw each other.  Were you wearing Marty's QMJHL jersey that night?  

That was at his number retirement when we saw each other. I was gonna come down and say hi but I was having a hell of a panic attack that night haha. There are times crowds just mess me up