The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don’t want to see Blackwood back, to begin with I never thought he was the guy to drive take this ship where it needs to go. After the injurie issues I want him back even less unless he is the new backup. Find a way to get a goalie in the off season. I read on here a bit ago about maybe trying to get someone like knight from Florida for a package. We need to make some type of attempt for a solid starting goalie. Blackwood isn’t going to cut it. 

They aren’t trading Knight. If they were, we should go get him. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They aren’t trading Knight. If they were, we should go get him. 

The cost would be insane. I think Fitz is gonna have to look elsewhere if he’s trying to trade for a goalie. My guess is he tries to see whats happening at the draft. The Devils are probably willing to trade some picks for a solid goalie since they seem to have moved into the next stage of the rebuild 

Like we saw with the Leafs and Oilers at the trade deadline, I think Fitz has really fvcked himself here in future negotiations because it's blatantly apparent to anyone who's paying attention that the Devils desperately need goaltending.  

Zero leverage right now.  Really curious to see where he manages to go in the offseason, because he cannot trot out Blackwood and Bernier again as others have stated.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Like we saw with the Leafs and Oilers at the trade deadline, I think Fitz has really fvcked himself here in future negotiations because it's blatantly apparent to anyone who's paying attention that the Devils desperately need goaltending.  

Zero leverage right now.  Really curious to see where he manages to go in the offseason, because he cannot trot out Blackwood and Bernier again as others have stated.  

In fairness, I don't think Fitz has fvcked himself out of being oblivious or anything like that, re:  his goalies...the Devils have drafted a goalie in just about every draft as of late, and he went for vets that seemed like solid signings at the time, to serve as 1Bs (first Crawford and then Bernier).  Not like he hasn't tried...and like we've been over, when BOTH of your projected starters go down with injury, it's hard to recover...the guys who tend to be available aren't going to move the needle nearly enough (and like you said, teams know that you're desperate and will try to sell you a meh goalie at a higher cost).

But yeah, trying isn't enough...simply gotta hit on just ONE of these moves sometime.  The big key of course is how much do Fitz and Co still believe in Mac?  Both Crawford and Bernier were never tabbed to be here long-term...the hope of course was that Blackwood (a rare homegrown goalie that actually managed to stick with the big club) was going to play well enough during his bridge deal to convince everyone that he was worth committing to as THE goalie of the present and future.  That plan has obviously taken a serious detour...be it due to injury, just not being all that good, whatever, Blackwood's put up an .899 save% since the start of last season and his play has clearly been below average...if Fitz (who seems to be down on him) decides to double-down on him, and we see more of the same...then he's gotta have some kind of recovery plan in-season.  Devils can't punt another year, especially since Jack, Nico, and Bratt have arrived, and other kids are taking steps.  I'm not saying the Devils need to win a Cup next year, but good lord, it can't be "Done again before the New Year, maybe next year" yet again.  

I'd like to see Fitz make a play for Ville Husso myself (I'm assuming that even if Blackwood gets one more chance, Bernier is done, due to breaking down physically)...assuming he actually gets to UFA.  He'd be coming here with a hell of a shot to become an undisputed #1.  Not going to pretend he's a sure thing, but I would take a chance on him.  Devils may have to overpay in years and $$$, but at least they wouldn't have to trade for him.  

• Like 1

According to Amanda's twitter acct, Jack had imaging done on his knee, and that we could get an update this afternoon.

Definitely not worried about this rest of this season...just hope that he's ready to go in October.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.  

• Like 2

Elliott again strongly implying that Blackwood and the team are likely heading towards a separation.

So, assuming that takes.. how on God's green earth do you acquire a 1A and 1B for next season?

In more positive news, he says he'd be surprised if Zacha returns.  

In more negative news, he says Bratt should be a prime offer-sheet candidate this offseason.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Elliott again strongly implying that Blackwood and the team are likely heading towards a separation.

So, assuming that takes.. how on God's green earth do you acquire a 1A and 1B for next season?

In more negative news, he says Bratt should be a prime offer-sheet candidate this offseason.

There are a number of Free Agent goalies available who were making very little money and are also under 30. Husso, Vanecek, Berube, Lindgren, etc. All were making under $800K. How much does a guy like Husso get in free agency?

If those kind of guys make it to free agency, we should be snapping them up if Blackwood is headed out. Unless we want one of the eight former (including 2 future former) Devils that are on the list: Schneider, Kinkaid, Appelby, Domingue, Wedgewood, Gillies, Hammond, and Dell are all available. 

Bratt should have been extended already. The fact that he isn't is troubling to me, could it be that the team doesn't see his value? Or more likely, could it be that Bratt does see his value and he's looking for more than what the Devils will pay? 

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I’d like to see Blackwood gone, but then we better have something in the works to bring in a real #1 goalie around here and we all know how hard that’s going to be. If they don’t figure out the goalie situation we might as well write off next season now. I’d be thrilled to not watch zacha on this team next year. I don’t care who says what, the guy is irrelevant so let’s stop pretending that he’s Travis Zajac. As far as Bratt goes, they’re going to have to pay him and he deserves it. I feel like offer sheets don’t happen often so id be surprised. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if bratt may want to move on, it seems like maybe the team doesn’t value what he brings to the table, I feel like what he provides is often over looked. 

Edited by 2ELIAS6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There are a number of Free Agent goalies available who were making very little money and are also under 30. Husso, Vanecek, Berube, Lindgren, etc. All were making under $800K. How much does a guy like Husso get in free agency?

If those kind of guys make it to free agency, we should be snapping them up if Blackwood is headed out. Unless we want one of the eight former (including 2 future former) Devils that are on the list: Schneider, Kinkaid, Appelby, Domingue, Wedgewood, Gillies, Hammond, and Dell are all available. 

Bratt should have been extended already. The fact that he isn't is troubling to me, could it be that the team doesn't see his value? Or more likely, could it be that Bratt does see his value and he's looking for more than what the Devils will pay? 

I'd offer Husso four years for $4 million or so per.  Yes, it's absolutely a risk.  But most goalies are, and I don't want to go into next season with status quo (though it sure doesn't seem like that's going to happen).  Not sure how much I'd want to go after the others.  

I will never understand why people even waste their time talking about offer sheets. In the last 20 years there’s been like 2 instances of players signing them - and their team’s not matching (Kotkaniemi last year, and Penner way back in 2007). That’s it. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I will never understand why people even waste their time talking about offer sheets. In the last 20 years there’s been like 2 instances of players signing them - and their team’s not matching (Kotkaniemi last year, and Penner way back in 2007). That’s it. 

It's probably mostly panic-driven, but in our case there is zero chance we can't afford whatever anyone else is going to offer him. Nobody is offering him $9m and giving us all of the picks that would come along with that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd offer Husso four years for $4 million or so per.  Yes, it's absolutely a risk.  But most goalies are, and I don't want to go into next season with status quo (though it sure doesn't seem like that's going to happen).  Not sure how much I'd want to go after the others.  

I think Husso will get some cash. Supposedly Edmonton is going after him this offseason as well

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Husso will get some cash. Supposedly Edmonton is going after him this offseason as well

You wonder if St Louis re-signs him, then tries to pawn off Binnington for next to nothing AND picks up some of his salary.  I still wouldn’t want him.

Just now, smelly said:

FWIW, From what I hear from my contacts on the inside, the organization is absolutely fed up with both Zacha (coasts) and Blackwood (high-maintenance crybaby), and that neither is currently expected back. 

Anything on the coaches?

22 minutes ago, smelly said:

FWIW, From what I hear from my contacts on the inside, the organization is absolutely fed up with both Zacha (coasts) and Blackwood (high-maintenance crybaby), and that neither is currently expected back. 

Fitz has a lot of work to do. The rebuild ain’t over when half your roster needs addressing. Zacha, PK, McLeod, Johnsson shouldn’t be on nhl rosters or need to be shipped out urgently.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You wonder if St Louis re-signs him, then tries to pawn off Binnington for next to nothing AND picks up some of his salary.  I still wouldn’t want him.

That’s the only way it’ll work. I can’t see them going into next season with both. 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know if that’s good or bad 😖

Who knows if this dude really has contacts on the inside?

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Fitz has a lot of work to do. The rebuild ain’t over when half your roster needs addressing. Zacha, PK, McLeod, Johnsson shouldn’t be on nhl rosters or need to be shipped out urgently.

PK is as good as gone.

I'll be surprised if Zacha and Blackwood are here.

There's enough Bottom 6ers on the Comets that if the Devils decide to move on from McLeod, they can certainly take a shot at replacing him from within.  Don't really think of McLeod as being some major issue though...he's a 4th-liner who's OK at what he does (and can win faceoffs).  Whether he stays or goes won't have much bearing.

Johnsson and Tatar...we all know the deal with them.  I'm hoping Johnsson manages to finish with "barely respectable enough stats" that maybe the Devils can just offload him for a 6th or 7th-rounder.  I'll take that for a guy who's scored a whopping 3 goals over his last 43 GP.     

I mention Vanecek because not he he (UFA) and Samsonov (RFA) are up at the end of the season. Vanecek has not been lights out, but has been good enough (.911 and 2.60) to be due a significant raise. He has outplayed Samsonov (.899 and 2.95) in the same number of games,  but Samsonov still has the RFA time left to consider. 

I suspect one of those two guys will be available at the end of this season. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Smelly is an old poster, that’s not something he would just make up. Dude was here before me lol

He should apply for a job with Buttcrack Sports…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s the only way it’ll work. I can’t see them going into next season with both. 

Oh no I agree...Husso should get a nice raise (especially if he makes it to UFA), and I don't think the Blues want to keep both.  They want to dump Binnington...I just can't imagine who would take him.  The guy has an .885 save% in 22 GP since 11/11 and an .872 save in his last 10 GP.  If Fitz makes that move, even if he basically is just taking him for nothing, I'm gonna be pissed.  That is not only just another question mark, but one that's expensive and locked up for several more years.  

55 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who knows if this dude really has contacts on the inside?

PK is as good as gone.

I'll be surprised if Zacha and Blackwood are here.

There's enough Bottom 6ers on the Comets that if the Devils decide to move on from McLeod, they can certainly take a shot at replacing him from within.  Don't really think of McLeod as being some major issue though...he's a 4th-liner who's OK at what he does (and can win faceoffs).  Whether he stays or goes won't have much bearing.

Johnsson and Tatar...we all know the deal with them.  I'm hoping Johnsson manages to finish with "barely respectable enough stats" that maybe the Devils can just offload him for a 6th or 7th-rounder.  I'll take that for a guy who's scored a whopping 3 goals over his last 43 GP.     

Even for a fourth liner, 15 points won’t cut it. More production needed from McLeod. He’s also not as good defensively for someone who doesn’t contribute offense. 4th liners aren’t major concerns but he is someone who should be addressed in offseason.