The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My one and only David Emma story:

Back in the early 90s, some of the Devils would sometimes go to Houlihan’s on Route 3 (not far from the Meadowlands).  Met Fetisov and Richer there (both were shy).  In comes Dave (he was kinda short for a hockey player) with four drop-dead hotties.  I was both impressed and extremely envious. 

Used to almost always go to Houlihans before a game at the Meadowlands, miss those days, and many of those times was before a playoff game, not sure how I was able to eat especially with the nerves beforehand, but those were the best.

Hope to one day know what that feeling was like again.  Absurdly frustrating!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

GUESS WHO’S BACK. BACK AGAIN.

Top left picture, also got his teeth fixed in the meantime. 

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is ridiculous. Height means jack. It means even less when dude is 5’11”.

Imagine we sign this guy and he misses every save by exactly one inch?

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

GUESS WHO’S BACK. BACK AGAIN.

And Back In Black to boot...

Curious to see if he actually gets in any games as the season winds down.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Back In Black to boot...

Curious to see if he actually gets in any games as the season winds down.

Prediction: he plays, we still give up the typical 4-5 goals we have been giving up all season, and everyone on this board has a meltdown about getting rid of him. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Prediction: he plays, we still give up the typical 4-5 goals we have been giving up all season, and everyone on this board has a meltdown about getting rid of him. 

At this point, part of the reason that I'm ready to move on from him is that I'm not convinced that he's durable enough to make 45-55 starts in any given season.  He did show promise in his first two seasons though.

• Like 1

And speaking of goalies in general...this little bit certainly isn't going to earn Fitz any new fans...Wedgewood (in a recent 11-start run from 1/28 - 3/24, 10 starts with the Yotes, and his first game with Dallas) faced an absurd 448 shots (yes, that's over 40 per game on average)...and somehow turned in a .931 save%.  I'll admit it, I had no idea he had enjoyed a stretch like that...to be fair, it's not like he's been on a tear all season, since leaving here...his season save% is .908.

Not that he'd ever be anyone's long-term answer, but when this guy basically gets away for nothing and the guy who kinda-sorta replaced him in Gillies was an absolute disaster...yeah, this is the kind of thing that's going to get the fanbase wondering/aggravated (I can see a little better where @Devil Dan 56 was coming from on that one, even though it's not like ANYONE could've expected Wedge to have done a whole lot, given his body of work...he certainly wasn't going to backstop the Devils into the playoffs).  Goes back to the same thing...Fitz is going to have to have one hell of an offseason to have a lot of fans believing that he's the right guy.  I still think (hope?) that he can be.        

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At this point, part of the reason that I'm ready to move on from him is that I'm not convinced that he's durable enough to make 45-55 starts in any given season.  He did show promise in his first two seasons though.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment based on two shortened seasons, a good stretch of time due to COVID and one injury that required surgery and basically killed an entire season.

By that logic, Jack Hughes isn't a durable enough player either. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment based on two shortened seasons, a good stretch of time due to COVID and one injury that required surgery and basically killed an entire season.

By that logic, Jack Hughes isn't a durable enough player either. 

That's fair.  I'm just kinda down on Blackwood in general.  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And speaking of goalies in general...this little bit certainly isn't going to earn Fitz any new fans...Wedgewood (in a recent 11-start run from 1/28 - 3/24, 10 starts with the Yotes, and his first game with Dallas) faced an absurd 448 shots (yes, that's over 40 per game on average)...and somehow turned in a .931 save%.  I'll admit it, I had no idea he had enjoyed a stretch like that...to be fair, it's not like he's been on a tear all season, since leaving here...his season save% is .908.

Not that he'd ever be anyone's long-term answer, but when this guy basically gets away for nothing and the guy who kinda-sorta replaced him in Gillies was an absolute disaster...yeah, this is the kind of thing that's going to get the fanbase wondering/aggravated (I can see a little better where @Devil Dan 56 was coming from on that one, even though it's not like ANYONE could've expected Wedge to have done a whole lot, given his body of work...he certainly wasn't going to backstop the Devils into the playoffs).  Goes back to the same thing...Fitz is going to have to have one hell of an offseason to have a lot of fans believing that he's the right guy.  I still think (hope?) that he can be.        

I believe we saw enough of Wedgewood during his multiple turns in NJ to know he wasn't the answer. But who would have expected him to play so well?

Then again, Arizona isn't bottom 4 defensively like some teams. Not that they are much better, but they're better. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's fair.  I'm just kinda down on Blackwood in general.  

If anyone is going to be down on Mackenzies, it has to be our man @MB3, wherever he is....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe we saw enough of Wedgewood during his multiple turns in NJ to know he wasn't the answer. But who would have expected him to play so well?

Then again, Arizona isn't bottom 4 defensively like some teams. Not that they are much better, but they're better. 

If anyone is going to be down on Mackenzies, it has to be our man @MB3, wherever he is....

Yeah I mentioned that re:  Wedge, that he'll never be anyone's long-term solution and that no one really could've really predicted he'd ever go on a run like that...was more pointing out that those who are already plenty down on Fitz and feeling ornery about him will have something else that might have them feeling...ornerier, heh heh.  On top of everything else.   

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Imagine we sign this guy and he misses every save by exactly one inch?

Then I will take back what I said 🤣

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe he and SD are serving a 10 minute misconduct. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think it would make much difference (especially given the defense).  Neither was expected to be ready for this season, and neither was getting a look unless a sh!t-ton went wrong (which it did).  I don't know what kind of future Daws has, but I do like that he got his feet plenty wet this year...if the Devils have to break the emergency glass again next season, at least they'll have a kid from within who's not going in completely blind (and even had a nice little run at one point).  

It’s great he got his feet wet, I don’t think he is the future.  I just think Akira should get another look, because Daws hasn’t been spectacular.

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

It’s great he got his feet wet, I don’t think he is the future.  I just think Akira should get another look, because Daws hasn’t been spectacular.

But Daws has at least shown something. Schmid got a look and was pretty terrible. 0-4 in 6 appearances, a GAA of 4.83 and a .833 save percentage are worse than Gillies numbers. 

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

But Daws has at least shown something. Schmid got a look and was pretty terrible. 0-4 in 6 appearances, a GAA of 4.83 and a .833 save percentage are worse than Gillies numbers. 

He had an opportunity and he Schmid the bed. 

• Haha 1

Re: Blackwood, I remain optimistic about him being a reliable starter next season. I had such a negative perspective on him for so long, and I think a lot of that had to do with him being held out due to his reluctance to take the vaccine. It's also annoying that he never seems to take the blame for playing poorly. But both of those things really should not matter if the performance on the ice is strong. The fact of the matter is he was injured this season, and he tried to play before he was ready. I'm not sure why the narrative lately is that he's destined to be the next NJ goaltender that we move on from.

Just now, nessus said:

Re: Blackwood, I remain optimistic about him being a reliable starter next season. I had such a negative perspective on him for so long, and I think a lot of that had to do with him being held out due to his reluctance to take the vaccine. It's also annoying that he never seems to take the blame for playing poorly. But both of those things really should not matter if the performance on the ice is strong. The fact of the matter is he was injured this season, and he tried to play before he was ready. I'm not sure why the narrative lately is that he's destined to be the next NJ goaltender that we move on from.

A lot of people took a turn after the vaccine thing. He has to come back healthy and prove he can play. If he does that, I couldn’t give a flying fvck what he says in his interviews. 

11 minutes ago, nessus said:

I wouldn’t really classify it as a “narrative.” It’s been quite public that there’s bad blood between him and the FO, and players don’t usually change agents mid-season if they’re happy with their current situation.

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t really classify it as a “narrative.” It’s been quite public that there’s bad blood between him and the FO, and players don’t usually change agents mid-season if they’re happy with their current situation.

But the negative opinions of him started WAAAAY before any of that. That’s what makes it a “narrative”; you can’t base people’s opinions on stuff that happened after they formed their opinions, that’s revisionist. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But the negative opinions of him started WAAAAY before any of that. That’s what makes it a “narrative”; you can’t base people’s opinions on stuff that happened after they formed their opinions, that’s revisionist. 

I’m not talking about negative opinions though, I’m specifically addressing the talk of him not being on the team next year. Again - that’s not really a narrative. It’s legitimate speculation based on things that have come out. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m not talking about negative opinions though, I’m specifically addressing the talk of him not being on the team next year. Again - that’s not really a narrative. It’s legitimate speculation based on things that have come out. 

Ok that makes more sense. Assuming any of it is true.

There’s another pathetic stat from the season…

Took 73 games and the devils now have a goalie with double digit wins, I can’t even fathom that stat.  The rage, just the rage!  Fire everyone, and not just because of the goalie situation but everything!