The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

Agreed it is below-average right now. And bad skaters don’t end up being great ones.

But I think it’s possible to improve skating to some degree…improving from below average to average I’d think is doable. Hopefully he can make that happen because he’s got some good skill.

I don’t see it happening but I will be thrilled if he gets to that level. 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Would have been nice to see him get the 9 game look, but oh well. 

Don’t think he would’ve gotten enough minutes…unless you want to make the argument that he could’ve forced the Devils’ hands with some good play.  Feels like lots of playing time with Utica is the right move though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, Wood too, but the defense scares me without those two. Your 3rd or 4th best guy is Siegenthaler? That’s a problem. 

Yeah, I mean, Geertsen and Jaros as staples in the lineup is scary sh!t.  I would like to see Walsh and/or Zaitsev, if we're being forced to pick from our depth chart.

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, Wood too, but the defense scares me without those two. Your 3rd or 4th best guy is Siegenthaler? That’s a problem. 

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I mean, Geertsen and Jaros as staples in the lineup is scary sh!t.  I would like to see Walsh and/or Zaitsev, if we're being forced to pick from our depth chart.

i think the way to "positively" look at this would be that those guys are likely expandable temporary plugs while we have guys in our system with higher potential but they need to play more minutes in the AHL.

I could be wrong but it does feel better to see it that way haha

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isn’t the 9 game thing only for players going back to juniors? I’m sure we’ll see a bit of Holtz this year as injuries pile up and Johnsson continues to do very little. 

Got this from the NHL website... 

"A player on an entry-level contract can skate in nine games before teams must decide whether to send him to the American Hockey League or junior hockey and delay the start of their contract to the following season. Teams still can send a player down after his 10th game, but it would use up the first season of his contract regardless of how many more NHL games he played."

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Got this from the NHL website... 

"A player on an entry-level contract can skate in nine games before teams must decide whether to send him to the American Hockey League or junior hockey and delay the start of their contract to the following season. Teams still can send a player down after his 10th game, but it would use up the first season of his contract regardless of how many more NHL games he played."

Ah that makes sense. Thank you.

I feel like he’s going to get his games. He’s gotta be the first guy in line to come up if any top 9 wings go down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

They won’t be staples.

I don’t know what Walsh you watched this preseason, but it’s becoming pretty abundantly clear that he’s a major bust. He was lost, out of position and confused every time he had the puck. 

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isn’t the 9 game thing only for players going back to juniors? I’m sure we’ll see a bit of Holtz this year as injuries pile up and Johnsson continues to do very little. 

You might be right. I can never remember all the specific call-up rules. 

nvm just saw SH’s post. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

this is a fun follow for Devils fans. The goals are mostly in the last decade for obvious reasons but they have goals going back to the 80’s. 

I was actually at that game.  Our normal seats were in sec 101 (row 17, seats 7 &8) but for playoff years we sometimes switched it up as our season tickets were shared with someone else.  For that game we sat in extras we bought up in the 200's by the red line.  I remember that goal pretty vividly with McKay standing there with his arms up after he got that goal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lazer said:

i called tyce thompson but didnt know he was injured; i like his game and think hes one of the kids coming up.

Fitz had a lot of good things to say about him on the Ray and Dregs podcast. He says Thompson’s “motor never stops.” Sounds like a great role player. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah Reaves has the date marked on his calendar im sure haha

oh no, i hope reaves doesn’t throw a cheap hit like he does *checks notes* in every single other game he’s ever played in his pathetic embarrassment of a career.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

oh no, i hope reaves doesn’t throw a cheap hit like he does *checks notes* in every single other game he’s ever played in his pathetic embarrassment of a career.

That's what im worried about with these goons. They are often not getting a lot of ice time and want to make the best of their rare opportunities and they often "force" a hit or something. They can't just wait for the "right opportunity" cause it might not happen and that's when it's dangerous