The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Asking for a friend wondering if this is really "on topic" since there's been a push to keep things on topic

Isn't a The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread, supposed to cover like... players, stats, coaches decisions, moves, etc and anything related to the actual season hockey wise.

Rather than stuff like... hot-dog prices and the smell of the washrooms? I mean sure that's relevant topic but is this the place for it? 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Fitz did an interview with Michael Russo, Athletic writer for the Wild.

talked about the Hughes contract, how/why they drafted Luke (no it wasn’t just cause of his brother)

he also talked a little to his vision for the team: that this year they’re competitive for the wild card spot, hopes they get in, they gain the experience and understand how challenging it is just to get in. Then, if he’s still in the seat in 3 or 4 years, be ready to be cup contenders (aka be willing to add those final complimentary pieces to get over the top). Says he wants to see how our scorers in the pipeline develop, which I’m assuming is Holtz and seeing if Mercer can sustain his early success.

Overall though I thought it was a solid interview 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's not ever going to happen but I would love an owner who is like Arthur Blank though he did have PSLs sold for the Falcons which is another thing I could rant about for days. PSLs and a name change are basically the only 2 major things that would get me to cancel my Devils season tickets. I'm not an NFL guy so I can't speak about the Falcons but in the MLS he spends a ton of money on their Atlanta team and they have already won an MLS Cup and numerous other trophies and are almost always competitive. Only missed the playoffs 1 team since joining the league in 2017.

Here's another article about the pricing... 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cheap-beer-good-press-falcons-fan-friendly-pricing-win-win-191626117.html

“We had a number of owners who weren’t understanding the dynamic, the reasoning, the logic,” Blank said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. “[They were asking], ‘Does this make good sense economically?’ We never justified it in terms of economics, but today we can.”

“It’s working in terms of economics, but we didn’t do it in terms of economics,” Blank said. “We did it because it’s the right thing to do for the people who are supporting our business.”

"during the 2017 season, even though prices dropped by 50 percent, fans spent 16 percent more than they had at the Georgia Dome."

"A fan that’s spending less on food and drink has more to spend on merchandise; Falcons president Rich McKay noted last summer that the Falcons saw a 90-percent increase in merchandise sales from 2016 to 2017" 

Art Blank happens to own Home depot,  or at least he founded it. He knows how to run a business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

They have been my team for over 30 years now.  I don't jump ship because we have sh!t owners.

I understand your frustration with the owners but it’s funny because you were the biggest defender of the owners when they came on board iirc.

If they are going to experiment with lines, I would do something like:

Johnsson-Hughes-Mercer

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt

Tatar-Boqvist-Sharangovich

Vesey-McLeod-Bastian

Hughes needs to be back at C. I think Mercer also deserves top 6 minutes, and I don't think trying him at RW would be detract from his success at all, especially if he can develop some chemistry with Hughes. Certainly not the most physically intimidating line, though. I also thought Boqvist played well enough to deserve a shot at C.

2 minutes ago, nessus said:

If they are going to experiment with lines, I would do something like:

Johnsson-Hughes-Mercer

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt

Tatar-Boqvist-Sharangovich

Vesey-McLeod-Bastian

Hughes needs to be back at C. I think Mercer also deserves top 6 minutes, and I don't think trying him at RW would be detract from his success at all, especially if he can develop some chemistry with Hughes. Certainly not the most physically intimidating line, though. I also thought Boqvist played well enough to deserve a shot at C.

Boqvist does not deserve a shot at the expense of the guy who has been our best center all year having to be played out of position. Play both guys in position, Mercer at center and Boqvist at center in Utica. 

On 12/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, devlman said:

I understand your frustration with the owners but it’s funny because you were the biggest defender of the owners when they came on board iirc.

I find it funny too.  I thought they would finally invest money into the team because JVB couldn't afford it, especially those last few years.  Now, these guys are all about ROI and having empty suits design jerseys.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I find it funny too.  I thought they would finally invest money into the team because JVB couldn't afford it, especially those last few years.  Now, these guys are all about ROI and having empty suits design jerseys.

Marty is too dad bod chubby to be an "empty suit", just sayin'. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Marty is too dad bod chubby to be an "empty suit", just sayin'. 

After reading several articles about the jerseys since they were released, I have come under the belief that Marty had little to no input on the design.  The team saw how Devils fans (and hockey/jersey fans in general) reacted to the leaked design and decided to throw him under the bus.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

After reading several articles about the jerseys since they were released, I have come under the belief that Marty had little to no input on the design.  The team saw how Devils fans (and hockey/jersey fans in general) reacted to the leaked design and decided to throw him under the bus.

You don't HAVE to give a serious answer to an obviously ridiculous post lol. 

So it looks like Corey Masisak is leaving covering the Devils for the Athletic and instead will be covering the Sharks.

His replacement is Shayna Goldman who will be covering both the Devils and Rangers along with analytics and fantasy sports.

So now, we are down to a team-employed "reporter" and a part-timer from the Athletic for our beat going forward.  L-O-L.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So it looks like Corey Masisak is leaving covering the Devils for the Athletic and instead will be covering the Sharks.

His replacement is Shayna Goldman who will be covering both the Devils and Rangers along with analytics and fantasy sports.

So now, we are down to a team-employed "reporter" and a part-timer from the Athletic for our beat going forward.  L-O-L.

This is your fault for wishing him away.

I hope you're happy now.

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Looks like I’ll be cancelling my Athletic subscription then. 

41 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That sucks. Careful what you wish for. Replacement doesn’t sound good at all.

Man...really does feel like more than ever, this entire organization is at a crossroads:

Ownership has shown a willingness to allow their GMs to spend when it's part of the GM's plan, but outside of that, they're inconsistent and hard to read...the arena has really taken on their personalities, from the "Everyone from 'Jersey' likes the same things" homages and here-and-there upgrades to the leaks that apparently won't ever be fixed and the bathrooms that are practically SCREAMING for the slightest bit of TLC (and have been for YEARS).  Those who are making too many of the decisions come off as micromanaging corporate dorks who have little idea as to what the fans actually want...the Jersey jerseys are the latest example of this.  They actually truly BELIEVED that we would all see 'Jersey' and think it was the best fvcking thing ever.  If they would actually take the time to get to know their fanbase just a LITTLE, instead of continually assuming what makes us Jersey folk tick, so much of this constant disconnect could so easily be avoided.

The GM is no dummy, but seems more preoccupied with the future than the present, and this sh!t has got to stop, NOW.  Enough with pivoting right over to punting seasons away when Plan A hits a roadblock.  Or being patient to a fault.  I was OK with bringing in an experienced, veteran coach, but Ruff is what he is at this point...a retread who's probably better off as a transitional coach than the guy who will take you to the next level.  The assistants are a joke...how many years exactly does nASS get to prove that he is not anyone who's going to help turn things around?

And yeah, not saying that the Canucks and Flyers are anyone to emulate, but geez, it is NOT too early to fvcking do SOMETHING before another season slides effortlessly into oblivion.  Like many posters here, I've been patient, I've often given the organization the benefit of the doubt, and I've tried to be optimistic.  But if they just sit back and in a couple of months The Three Stooges are still coaching the team and the Devils are firmly in seventh place, I am gonna be just as pissed as Hamilton likely will be...because no way that guy signed here thinking this franchise would still be in potential punt mode.     

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man...really does feel like more than ever, this entire organization is at a crossroads:

Ownership has shown a willingness to allow their GMs to spend when it's part of the GM's plan, but outside of that, they're inconsistent and hard to read...the arena has really taken on their personalities, from the "Everyone from 'Jersey' likes the same things" homages and here-and-there upgrades to the leaks that apparently won't ever be fixed and the bathrooms that are practically SCREAMING for the slightest bit of TLC (and have been for YEARS).  Those who are making too many of the decisions come off as micromanaging corporate dorks who have little idea as to what the fans actually want...the Jersey jerseys are the latest example of this.  They actually truly BELIEVED that we would all see 'Jersey' and think it was the best fvcking thing ever.  If they would actually take the time to get to know their fanbase just a LITTLE, instead of continually assuming what makes us Jersey folk tick, so much of this constant disconnect could so easily be avoided.

The GM is no dummy, but seems more preoccupied with the future than the present, and this sh!t has got to stop, NOW.  Enough with pivoting right over to punting seasons away when Plan A hits a roadblock.  Or being patient to a fault.  I was OK with bringing in an experienced, veteran coach, but Ruff is what he is at this point...a retread who's probably better off as a transitional coach than the guy who will take you to the next level.  The assistants are a joke...how many years exactly does nASS get to prove that he is not anyone who's going to help turn things around?

And yeah, not saying that the Canucks and Flyers are anyone to emulate, but geez, it is NOT too early to fvcking do SOMETHING before another season slides effortlessly into oblivion.  Like many posters here, I've been patient, I've often given the organization the benefit of the doubt, and I've tried to be optimistic.  But if they just sit back and in a couple of months The Three Stooges are still coaching the team and the Devils are firmly in seventh place, I am gonna be just as pissed as Hamilton likely will be...because no way that guy signed here thinking this franchise would still be in potential punt mode.     

C3B37C90-A15C-4A93-8A82-8D76463922A3.gif

• Like 1

go back to when the new owners were new, and youll see that these warnings were there by me and beetlebum, which in part got him banned

i saw the toxicity of this board and the culture that stems from the leadership down, this is pretty basic stuff.

now, look whos claiming these ideas as their own 

i dont even have a problem with the owners at all now. besides being too heavy on stathletes stuff.