The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

4 hours ago, Fansinz88 said:

Not going to happen. What Fitz finally said about the team is disturbing. I think he honestly believes there is enough talent on this team and believes the coaching staff is doing everything right. We are doomed

Always worth remembering is that once a GM cans a coaching staff, he's the one firmly in the crosshairs...if the coaching change doesn't work, then it's "Does this GM know how to spot and develop talent?  Maybe it's his roster construction that's the problem!" or "Do we give this guy another coaching hire?"

I don't necessarily believe that Fitz is in self-preservation mode, but I do think he's now being patient-to-a-fault (same as Shero was with Hynes), in a situation that is screaming for real action.  What he's saying comes off as somewhere between oblivious and arrogant double-downing...for some reason (again, just like Shero), he seems way too willing to live and die by a flawed head coach (and even more flawed assistants).

Blitzer's intermission spot told me where the franchise is at...they truly believe that they're on this great path, that eventually this patience and seemingly endless lost seasons are damned near guaranteed to pay off in time.  I get the feeling Fitz talks a real good game, to ownership and others...there's a reason Hamilton was willing to come here.  But we've really reached the point where we need to see the slightest bit of evidence that yes, these kids can indeed be the start of a fine core, and that there's noticeable progress being made.  Because all I see are a bunch of kids that yeah, I like some of them, but I can put that aside and admit that just about ALL of them are question marks, when it comes to determining what they're actual upsides are...and I see a staff that appears to have no real system in place and no ability to adjust once teams figure out how to exploit them.  I just have no idea how anyone involved with organization right now can feel that the situation magically improving is somehow within reach.  Man do I hate where this team is right now.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Always worth remembering is that once a GM cans a coaching staff, he's the one firmly in the crosshairs...if the coaching change doesn't work, then it's "Does this GM know how to spot and develop talent?  Maybe it's his roster construction that's the problem!" or "Do we give this guy another coaching hire?"

I don't necessarily believe that Fitz is in self-preservation mode, but I do think he's now being patient-to-a-fault (same as Shero was with Hynes), in a situation that is screaming for real action.  What he's saying comes off as somewhere between oblivious and arrogant double-downing...for some reason (again, just like Shero), he seems way too willing to live and die by a flawed head coach (and even more flawed assistants).

Blitzer's intermission spot told me where the franchise is at...they truly believe that they're on this great path, that eventually this patience and seemingly endless lost seasons are damned near guaranteed to pay off in time.  I get the feeling Fitz talks a real good game, to ownership and others...there's a reason Hamilton was willing to come here.  But we've really reached the point where we need to see the slightest bit of evidence that yes, these kids can indeed be the start of a fine core, and that there's noticeable progress being made.  Because all I see are a bunch of kids that yeah, I like some of them, but I can put that aside and admit that just about ALL of them are question marks, when it comes to determining what they're actual upsides are...and I see a staff that appears to have no real system in place and no ability to adjust once teams figure out how to exploit them.  I just have no idea how anyone involved with organization right now can feel that the situation magically improving is somehow within reach.  Man do I hate where this team is right now.        

9 million of them x 7.  

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

9 million of them x 7.  

Sure, but I think most guys want to feel like they have some kind of shot to win...not all, but definitely most.  

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But we've really reached the point where we need to see the slightest bit of evidence that yes, these kids can indeed be the start of a fine core, and that there's noticeable progress being made.      

Indeed. 

I liked the way the team played on Sunday night, besides the mistakes that Pittsburgh capitalized on. I DVR'd the game and was not fast forwarding through it, which is a usual thing lately. It was a fun game to watch, with the Devils playing with jump, providing puck support and even throwing some hits. This needs to become the norm, not the exception.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just don’t see this getting better. You always give the gm 2 coaching hires before you dump him too. Maybe a different staff could get more out of this group. Im not expecting a deep playoff run yet at all but I was really expecting them to be right in the mix for the 2nd wild card this season. There lies the reason Hamilton did sign here. He obviously thought the same thing. If he could have foreseen this coming I guarantee he never would have signed that contract. Im just tired of seasons gone by the wayside and another lottery pick. 

1 hour ago, Fansinz88 said:

I just don’t see this getting better. You always give the gm 2 coaching hires before you dump him too. Maybe a different staff could get more out of this group. Im not expecting a deep playoff run yet at all but I was really expecting them to be right in the mix for the 2nd wild card this season. There lies the reason Hamilton did sign here. He obviously thought the same thing. If he could have foreseen this coming I guarantee he never would have signed that contract. Im just tired of seasons gone by the wayside and another lottery pick. 

I was expecting competitive hockey most nights and to be in the mix for a WC spot.  I was definitely NOT expecting 2020-21 Part Deux, which is exactly what's happened to date, almost eerily so.

And yeah, we've all been saying it, there were reasons/excuses/whatever to not try to do anything drastic to salvage prior "hopeful" seasons, but as has been said so many times by so many people, I can't defend Fitz doing absolutely nothing but saying "Well the players have to figure it out" and "It's on them".  If the players haven't been able to figure it out on their own, what leads anyone to believe that they're going to do that now?  Maybe the coaches themselves can't figure anything out?  Sure doesn't seem like Recchi's figuring anything out.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was expecting competitive hockey most nights and to be in the mix for a WC spot.  I was definitely NOT expecting 2020-21 Part Deux, which is exactly what's happened to date, almost eerily so.

And yeah, we've all been saying it, there were reasons/excuses/whatever to not try to do anything drastic to salvage prior "hopeful" seasons, but as has been said so many times by so many people, I can't defend Fitz doing absolutely nothing but saying "Well the players have to figure it out" and "It's on them".  If the players haven't been able to figure it out on their own, what leads anyone to believe that they're going to do that now?  Maybe the coaches themselves can't figure anything out?  Sure doesn't seem like Recchi's figuring anything out.  

I would love nothing better than to see Fitz rewarded for his loyalty with players and a coaching staff that turn around the ship on their own. I share your skepticism, though. 

Based on Fitz's comments (reading between the lines), if this thing does not get turned around with the current group, he seems to be more apt to shake up the team with a trade than firing coaches.

3 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not unexpected, but still sad. Betman will be delighted. 

I'm not that upset about it. At this point I would like the league to take a stance on it and stick to it. I hate the one year in and one year out stuff. I understand covid changes things this year and it's a special case, but generally that's my feeling. Just pick one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I would love nothing better than to see Fitz rewarded for his loyalty with players and a coaching staff that turn around the ship on their own. I share your skepticism, though. 

Based on Fitz's comments (reading between the lines), if this thing does not get turned around with the current group, he seems to be more apt to shake up the team with a trade than firing coaches.

Oh sure, but it couldn't be headed in a worse direction...1-9-1 in their last 11 GP.  And many of the same gaffes over and over.

I'm fine with him making an on-the-ice move...I can't make any case for this group being left intact.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not that upset about it. At this point I would like the league to take a stance on it and stick to it. I hate the one year in and one year out stuff. I understand covid changes things this year and it's a special case, but generally that's my feeling. Just pick one way or the other.

Personally it means a lot to me as growing up it would be the only time my friends and family would engage with something I loved and actually watch hockey. I think sometimes the NHL forget the global audience the Olympics draws and the fact it's great exposure. 

I agree though that they should 100% commit to a stance. This on and off is so boring. 

This will be great news to the Chinese government and the IIHF who have been sh!tting themselves about the fact the Chinese team was about to be blown away and now might at least be able to keep it respectable. 

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess just a rumor for now since I don’t know who this is. Does anyone know if this is a reliable source? I haven’t seen any other reports on it but Devils news tends to come from weird places. 

It has to because the media barely covers the Devils. 

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess just a rumor for now since I don’t know who this is. Does anyone know if this is a reliable source? I haven’t seen any other reports on it but Devils news tends to come from weird places. 

He's been right on a few things, missed on a few others.  I would say this falls under more likely true than not.

Thus continues the Devils having the only crowdsourced breaking news beat in sports.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again, the Devils should offer Shesterkin an offer sheet this off-season because it will guarantee that he’ll spontaneously and violently combust. 

Only if it’s successful lol. 

Devils owners apparently have bought a 35% share of the Cleveland Guardians (formerly the Indians).  Because apparently they can’t spread themselves thin enough. 

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Games on Dec. 27th postponed.  I was looking forward to some hockey even though we suck - now it looks like our next game might not be until next Wednesday against Buffalo.  Fitting if that happens, since we have identical (and pathetic) records at 10-5-5.  

I wonder if they just push it to after new years at this point and have the outdoor game be the first game back. They definitely have more time to make up games now with them not going to the Olympics.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:50 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

who cares? Let's hear about what Bratt's favorite vegetable was as a kid and if anybody got a haircut from Amanda when she comes back guns a blazin' after the break.

Wishing Bernier the best and hoping his quality of life is ok in the long run and he's not hampered with hip issues the rest of his life. As for us, man talk about sh!t luck when it comes to thinking we've finally brought in solid vet backups.