The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that's 100% cherry picked.

First you called her out like she's not giving Devils news by posting ONE post that isn't Devils related. Ignoring more recent tweets about the Devils. Then i've been counting her tweets going down trying to see how many there is before there's another "non devils related tweet" and i had to stop counting cause i was in the hundreds... and im still just scrolling and its ALL Devils.

Actually i just ran into the first non-Devils Tweet and it was on Dec 31 and it was about Betty White.And then it continues with Devils only stuff. So you're narrative that she post "too much" garbabe is simply not true. I challenge you to go on her twitter and scroll through and not admit that its not like 99.9% all Devils stuff she's posting. She literally posted 2 non-devils tweets in the last week and you get on her case for one? Come on man

The problem with Amanda is that she's not giving us the news we really want at times. But that's outside of her control its pretty clear. So no point in piling on her for that, she loves attention. She sure would if she could

While I do think Devils brass have a pretty tight leash on her in terms of what she reports, but I doubt they told her to not report on Hamilton and be beaten to the punch by the opposing teams beat writer multiple times in the same night.  I mean it’s no state secret that Hamilton got hit in the face with a puck since it happened on tv.

At some point we have to accept that maybe in addition to being tightly controlled that she just isn’t a good reporter anyways.  If she had a looser leash and not get constantly beaten to the punch of just about every devils news story then the fans would probably not mind the non-Devils attention seeking posts she makes.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While I do think Devils brass have a pretty tight leash on her in terms of what she reports, but I doubt they told her to not report on Hamilton and be beaten to the punch by the opposing teams beat writer multiple times in the same night.  I mean it’s no state secret that Hamilton got hit in the face with a puck since it happened on tv.

At some point we have to accept that maybe in addition to being tightly controlled that she just isn’t a good reporter anyways.  If she had a looser leash and not get constantly beaten to the punch of just about every devils news story then the fans would probably not mind the non-Devils attention seeking posts she makes.

I mean if you go through her twitter during games. It's pretty easy to see she's reporting what she can. She's reporting saves, penalties and other random stuff. You'd think that if she was in the know about stuff that she'd post it. I'm not going to speculate why she's not always reporting all that. But then if someone else reported it, what's the big deal? Someone else reported it before her? Well, then have that informations no? She has to be first why? When did we become entitled vultures to information like this?

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean if you go through her twitter during games. It's pretty easy to see she's reporting what she can. She's reporting saves, penalties and other random stuff. You'd think that if she was in the know about stuff that she'd post it. I'm not going to speculate why she's not always reporting all that. But then if someone else reported it, what's the big deal? Someone else reported it before her? Well, then have that informations no? She has to be first why? When did we become entitled vultures to information like this?

If all she is capable of is reporting what’s literally in front of her then she’s less of a reporter and more of a glorified sports ticker.

She’s constantly beaten to the punch about everything.  Most is probably under orders by the team, but instances last night is likely because she either didn’t know to ask or care to ask.  Either way, it’s not a good look to be constantly out-scooped by either another team’s reporter, out of market reporters, random Internet forum members, or bigboobieluvrnj69 on Reddit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If all she is capable of is reporting what’s literally in front of her then she’s less of a reporter and more of a glorified sports ticker.

She’s constantly beaten to the punch about everything.  Most is probably under orders by the team, but instances last night is likely because she either didn’t know to ask or care to ask.  Either way, it’s not a good look to be constantly out-scooped by either another team’s reporter, out of market reporters, random Internet forum members, or bigboobieluvrnj69 on Reddit.

I get that. But then you have to look at the big picture. There's also a LOT of things she's the first to report too. But like anything, once there's an established narrative (in this case it's that she post junk and get beat by other reporters), that's all people see. She could break 9 stories, nobody would blink or just take it for granted. Then the one thing she miss people would jump on her for it. Perception and reality are 2 completely different things once you see it through blinders guided by some narrative you have. Like i know Subban is bad, but he's probably not as bad as i see it with my own eyes at times. I obviously have blinders on changing my perception

Actually that's precisely what just happened just now in this discussion lol

She's not TG we all know that. But at the same time, we were also frustrated quite often when TG couldnt report some stuff but then it was because of Lou. And well it seems like this management is pretty similar in holding back on information.

Edited by SterioDesign

Given that the team is notoriously secretive about injuries, it would not surprise me if, as a team employee, she was not allowed to “report” on that. 

The Captain Planet thing made her look like a clown either way, IMHO. 

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I get that. But then you have to look at the big picture. There's also a LOT of things she's the first to report too. But like anything, once there's an established narrative (in this case it's that she post junk and get beat by other reporters), that's all people see. She could break 9 stories, nobody would blink or just take it for granted. Then the one thing she miss people would jump on her for it. Perception and reality are 2 completely different things once you see it through blinders guided by some narrative you have. Like i know Subban is bad, but he's probably not as bad as i see it with my own eyes at times. I obviously have blinders on changing my perception

Actually that's precisely what just happened just now in this discussion lol

She's not TG we all know that. But at the same time, we were also frustrated quite often when TG couldnt report some stuff but then it was because of Lou. And well it seems like this management is pretty similar in holding back on information.

Other than the mundane, what big news about the team has she broken?

Even with Lou’s rules, TG was able to report not only more info but also insightful info and did it without having to mention his handwriting or wardrobe.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Even with Lou’s rules, TG was able to report not only more info but also insightful info and did it without having to mention his handwriting or wardrobe.

I hated not knowing what shoes he was wearing. 

35 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Well off the top of my head i don't know but i know i get a lot of news from her. That's just the thing, you take it for granted until there's something you notice she's not giving and then that's sticking out.

And it's not like im in denial and saying that she's flawless and amazing. But some criticism is just over the top, clearly her hands are tied to some extend plus if she's really not doing a good job. It's the management's fault for not getting her help or wtv.

Also i'm just spitballing. But what comparison do we have overall. We know TG, we know a few reporters covering devils and Rangers i guess. But i can tell you there's not like... ONE beat writer in MTL that gets all the scoops every time. And i suspects it's similar around the league. I know russo is pretty good in Minny. But as for other teams, i have no idea. So while it's frustrating when we dont get info we want (want, not deserve. important to point out). But at the same time, if it's still on par or better than what most teams get, then is it really worth sh!tting on? 

• Haha 1

She does fine reporting on stuff like who is in practice, who got a haircut, lineups, etc. which is the mundane items I mentioned.  Things like Hall’s knee surgery, ruff being hired, Crawford retiring, bernier injury, Hughes injury, wood injury, etc (aka big, breaking news) were broken by pretty much everyone else but her and the other beat writers.

Compared to previous writers like TG and AG, she’s a giant step down.  However, like you said her hands are tied.  Yes, not every beat writer for other teams gets every single scoop, but we are in a unique situation as we are probably the only team that doesn’t have a full-time beat writer that’s not employed by the Devils.  This is where optics come into play.  It’s not a good look when your tram beat writer can’t even report on the status of her own teams player during a game but yet the opposing teams beat writer can.  Whether she likes it or not, simply being the only show in town puts the microscope on her and instances like that makes her an easy target for fans to direct her frustrations.  Posting about Captain Planet when she couldn’t even report on an injury on one of her teams top 3 most important players is just bad optics all around.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

She does fine reporting on stuff like who is in practice, who got a haircut, lineups, etc. which is the mundane items I mentioned.  Things like Hall’s knee surgery, ruff being hired, Crawford retiring, bernier injury, Hughes injury, wood injury, etc (aka big, breaking news) were broken by pretty much everyone else but her and the other beat writers.

Compared to previous writers like TG and AG, she’s a giant step down.  However, like you said her hands are tied.  Yes, not every beat writer for other teams gets every single scoop, but we are in a unique situation as we are probably the only team that doesn’t have a full-time beat writer that’s not employed by the Devils.  This is where optics come into play.  It’s not a good look when your tram beat writer can’t even report on the status of her own teams player during a game but yet the opposing teams beat writer can.  Whether she likes it or not, simply being the only show in town puts the microscope on her and instances like that makes her an easy target for fans to direct her frustrations.  Posting about Captain Planet when she couldn’t even report on an injury on one of her teams top 3 most important players is just bad optics all around.

yeah but then i can't imagine her not posting what SHE wants on HER twitter because she's been thrown out to the wolves with a slingshot. That's not her fault. I just find fans lashing out on her constantly is kind of a bad look too. It's kind of like lashing out at the person at the door of a business asking you to see your vaccine passport or wtv. They don't make the room, just doing what they were told to do. if you have a problem with it, bring your concerns to the management

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah but then i can't imagine her not posting what SHE wants on HER twitter because she's been thrown out to the wolves with a slingshot. That's not her fault. I just find fans lashing out on her constantly is kind of a bad look too. It's kind of like lashing out at the person at the door of a business asking you to see your vaccine passport or wtv. They don't make the room, just doing what they were told to do. if you have a problem with it, bring your concerns to the management

No one here is lashing out at or to her. No one is tweeting at her anything negative. Just sharing our discontent with members on this message board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

No one here is lashing out at or to her. No one is tweeting at her anything negative. Just sharing our discontent with members on this message board.

God knows if how i framed it meant lashing out directly to her. Not what i meant. But members here sh!t on her constantly for not doing enough.

And its fine, but then there's also members criticizing her criticism on this message board. That's how it works

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Unless the statement is that it’s day to day. 

You’re now our new beat writer. Don’t talk about your shoes, the boys hate it. 

Actually. I just got my first pair of slippers that i bought for myself. Got them off amazon, they are black and a bit fuzzy. I can provide pictures upon request

8 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

And just when you get excited about the season again.

I like that "Egads" is a separate line item lol. 

So basically we can summarize it as such:

1. Everyone who has been good in the last few games minus Jack is now out.

2. Pavel Zacha is out, but you already thought he was out anyway. 

3. Fvck hockey. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

4. We have random people on Twitter breaking all this news because we don't have any actual reporters covering this team.

I think one of you guys who complains about this should quit their day job, get press credentials, and just be the official beat reporter from NJDevs. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

God knows if how i framed it meant lashing out directly to her. Not what i meant. But members here sh!t on her constantly for not doing enough.

And its fine, but then there's also members criticizing her criticism on this message board. That's how it works

Right.. that is how it works. It's a message board.

So I don't know how you're complaining about folks voicing their thoughts here in the same breath. It just reads like your usual contrarian self, ya know?

I don't disagree with you entirely but a lot of the stuff she's being faulted for lies more so with the team but she's pretty much the only act in town right now so folks are going to have their frustrations.

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Right.. that is how it works. It's a message board.

So I don't know how you're complaining about folks voicing their thoughts here in the same breath. It just reads like your usual contrarian self, ya know?

I don't disagree with you entirely but a lot of the stuff she's being faulted for lies more so with the team but she's pretty much the only act in town right now so folks are going to have their frustrations.

What i'm actually doing is not complaining against people voicing their thoughts. It's calling out their non-sense takes they have cause they are emotional and irrational in the moment, ignoring context.

Perfect example.

During the Caps game someone jumped on Blackwood for one goal, forgot what he said precisely but basically that he sucked and should have stopped that. It was pointed out that it was a perfect shot and that it really wasn't a bad goal that he 100% should have got. Buddy then admitted just being frustrated. So that's an example of spewing non-sense and that should be called out.

Then Blackwood ACTUALLY gave the worst possible goal he could have. That's objectively sound lol In this case i was certainly not going to tell anyone that they were out of bound with any criticism.

Same thing with Amanda. We are all fvcking frustrated from the lack of news and updates. People can voice their displeasure about them not getting that all they want. But when it's becoming personal attacks to the one reporter we have that has her hands tied. That's where i step in like "hold on". 

I mean, its a message board, people can literally say wtv they want. But if you say something dumb or that people perceive as dumb, people will call you out. That's my point. I just don't get the whole "let me say wtv i want, i'm just frustrated so i'm entitled to say anything without facing any criticism for it"

On 1/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Ehhh there's a HUGE difference between TG, who worked for an independent paper, and Amanda who works for the team.  And I don't just mean the fact one's a better writer...their mission statements are different.  People keep holding Amanda to beat writer status, THAT'S NOT HER JOB!  Fans just want her to be a beat writer because basically nobody else is one right now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ehhh there's a HUGE difference between TG, who worked for an independent paper, and Amanda who works for the team.  And I don't just mean the fact one's a better writer...their mission statements are different.  People keep holding Amanda to beat writer status, THAT'S NOT HER JOB!  Fans just want her to be a beat writer because basically nobody else is one right now.

But she does CALL herself a beat writer, I learned the other day. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But she does CALL herself a beat writer, I learned the other day. 

Where?  On her Twitter bio she has 'reporter' and content creator, which is mostly accurate.  She only reports what the team wants her to though.  If she's calling herself a beat writer then she deserves crap just for blurring the line of what she does compared to an actual independent beat writer.

Edited by NJDevs4978

17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Where?  On her Twitter bio she has 'reporter' and content creator, which is mostly accurate.  She only reports what the team wants her to though.  If she's calling herself a beat writer then she deserves crap just for blurring the line of what she does compared to an actual independent beat writer.

35185ACC-F8BC-4F1B-8FBE-B44E71D90207.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is this still going on? I can think of very few things less interesting (or worthy) to argue about than Amanda freaking Stein. 

You’re right. What’s your favorite pair of shoes like?

Rant incoming:

The New Jersey Devils have become a fraction of what they were in their glory. There’s no toughness, there’s no go for the throat mentality to put the game away, sure they can compete regularly but they won’t give you a full 60 minutes of effort. And at the end of every game where they should have won if they actually have a sh!t an entire game, all we get are the Eli Manning “Gee golly gosh guys” answers and “they’ll figure it out soon, they’re young and learning.”

They SHOULD be a bubble team, but thanks to that regulation loss last night, and somehow them having tied for 3rd most games played in the league, we’re 10/5 back in the 1/2 spots respectively. The losing, the pathetic “well it’s okay Mac, you coulda maybe had 1 or 2 of those,” or “it’s okay, the defense is young, they’re still learning” or “they were without x y or z so they’ll be better when healthy” sh!t HAS to stop. The coaches and much more largely Fitz need to stop protecting guys and actually hold people accountable for being or doing sh!t.

Subban does his dirty crap yet again, post on Instagram from the players suite for a few games, that’ll really help your negotiating power in the offseason. 

Ty Smith, you want to be weaker than a sheet of Scott’s 1-ply toilet paper? Enjoy Utica and maybe try to remember why you needed an extra year of seasoning in Spokane.

Blackwood, you thought being a distraction to start the year was bad? Take a look at your numbers, and now sit there and watch as the young guys get peppered doing a job you should have been doing. I’d throw you a beach ball, but you’d let it get past you. Maybe some middle school has an earth ball we can work our way down from there.

end…

• Like 3