Jump to content

The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread


mfitz804
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh I’d watch every minute of that haha

Even if you just play Gillies and had Marty fully dressed on the bench, can you imagine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Even if you just play Gillies and had Marty fully dressed on the bench, can you imagine?

Half the game would be them cutting to him and showing old highlights. I’d be fine with that too

Edited by Devil Dan 56
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Half the game would be them cutting to him and showing old highlights. I’d be fine with that too

Yup, I could think of worse ways to spend a night. 

The people who think they can control coaching changes by booing need to make this happen lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Some of the younger players have probably never seen anything like Marty’s hybrid style. 

Very true. I think he, Thomas, and Osgood were the last of the pre-butterfly goalies, and maybe a few others I’m forgetting   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very true. I think he, Thomas, and Osgood were the last of the pre-butterfly goalies, and maybe a few others I’m forgetting   

Caterpillar Style. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Per whoever the girl is in the picture on Amanda Stein’s Twitter, Blackwood is in protocol. Gillies is the only healthy goalie. 

 

Damn. Tomorrow night will be interesting if the game isn’t cancelled. Although Schmid may be off protocol, tomorrow, I can’t remember when he went on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Damn. Tomorrow night will be interesting if the game isn’t cancelled. Although Schmid may be off protocol, tomorrow, I can’t remember when he went on. 

I'm actually supposed to go to that game.  Happy to go because I get to see my just-turned-21-year-old nephew, and my brother.  But I get the feeling that this game (if it happens) is going to be a brutal watch...I'm not expecting to enjoy the actual game all that much.  

Once upon a time, the Devils had a goalie that was a lock to start 70+ games, damned near every season.  Amazing how much we're finding out how the other half lives...and yeah, Covid is clearly a major factor, but not like the Devils' goaltending issues didn't start before then...hell, we're lucky that Marty was as good for as long as he was, because he covered up for all of the prospects that never turned into anything (Ahonen, Frazee, etc).    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Per whoever the girl is in the picture on Amanda Stein’s Twitter, Blackwood is in protocol. Gillies is the only healthy goalie. 

 

Oh no!

Anyway..

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm actually supposed to go to that game. 

Make sure you stretch, you may have to go in. And then sign a puck for me after. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wearing my white Rockies Resch jersey to the game tomorrow...which of course got me thinking...

Why not Chico between the pipes?  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wearing my white Rockies Resch jersey to the game tomorrow...which of course got me thinking...

Why not Chico between the pipes?  

Do they still make goalie equipment that small, or Is he bringing his vintage gear?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Do they still make goalie equipment that small, or Is he bringing his vintage gear?

I have this game on DVD...check out how big the nets look behind Chico and Liut.  Back then it felt like there was SO much more to shoot at.  And back then I don't think goalie cuts were as much of a thing...I think goalie jerseys weren't much different than everyone else's.

I showed part of this game to my daughter, who asked "When did they make the nets smaller?"  I told her that the nets stayed the same, and goalies and their equipment got a lot bigger.  

She also got a kick out of all of the helmetless players...and some of the still-70s hairstyles and mustaches that were fully on display as a result.  I still remember January 1982 pretty well (I was 11 and in the middle of sixth grade)...this video makes everything look so damned "oldern".  Which I guess over 40 years later makes sense...boo...

And on one last side note, it's kinda funny...for all of the nostalgia about the 80s and what they were, the "80s" that people think of really didn't start until 1983 or so, at the earliest...1980-82 was still very 70s in a lot of ways, with 70s trends slowly phasing themselves out over those few years.  The "80s" were really those 80s from about 1983ish - 1991...1990 still felt very 80s.  Nirvana and grunge really just seemed to take a wrecking ball to so much of it...and then the 90s just kicked right in, full swing.

 

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

I find it hilarious that Blackwood has covid since most of you were cursing him for not being vaccinated. Lol at you.

I think its funny that the entire team aside from Jack and Dawson got it before him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Can only imagine what he's thinking re: the whole vaccine thing.

Should be entertaining if he makes a statement.  If he's smart he won't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can only imagine what he's thinking re: the whole vaccine thing.

Should be entertaining if he makes a statement.  If he's smart he won't.

We already know the intelligence level we’re dealing with here…

anyway, this is now the 2nd time he’s had it. I’m sure even he will have to admit that being vaccinated made it much less severe this time around. He was one of the hardest hit by it last year. Iirc he said he wasn’t breathing right for about a month. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

We already know the intelligence level we’re dealing with here…

anyway, this is now the 2nd time he’s had it. I’m sure even he will have to admit that being vaccinated made it much less severe this time around. He was one of the hardest hit by it last year. Iirc he said he wasn’t breathing right for about a month. 

I think it was longer than that. 

Of course, the present strain seems to be milder than the previous one he got. But the vaccine sure didn’t hurt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.