The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Since when are you a semantics sally? Zacha was drafted as a center and fits better on the wing. Jesper Bratt was C/LW. Your wifey Kyle Palmieri played center in juniors, my buddy’s claim to fame is beating him so handedly in the circle that he cross checked my buddy in the back of the head and got a 10-and-game.

My cousin is a former player that had a good chance at the show and he’s now a scout. He says that all centers can play wing; but most wings can never transition to center. Turcotte was just an example thrown out there, and I know you’ve made a habit of gatekeeping which topics I’m allowed to engage in discussion. Just give me a heads up if this is one where you’d like me to “cut it out”, too. 

Dude all I’m going to say is you have some very bizarre and unnecessary emotional reactions to people’s posts sometimes.  I’ll just leave it at that. 

• Like 3

Friedman during the Canucks/Flames games said he thinks the Devils are in on Conor Garland. There's a couple other teams apparently possibly interested  but with his fairly sizeable cap hit for another 4 years the number of teams that can realistically take him on is less. Somehow the guy is getting 4.9m per.  No wonder they want to unload him. Seems like a lot of money. A very middle of the road guy who I guess would be an upgrade that ultimately doesn't change much imo.  He'll be 26 in March. 

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Friedman during the Canucks/Flames games said he thinks the Devils are in on Conor Garland. There's a couple other teams apparently possibly interested  but with his fairly sizeable cap hit for another 4 years the number of teams that can realistically take him on is less. Somehow the guy is getting 4.9m per.  No wonder they want to unload him. Seems like a lot of money. A very middle of the road guy who I guess would be an upgrade that ultimately doesn't change much imo.  He'll be 26 in March. 

i said this before but i really wanted the Devils to draft him. Saw him play here in Moncton when he played juniors and he was burning the league in scoring.

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wonder if a Garland for Zacha trade would make sense. Zacha needs a change of scenery. 

It would be a bit of a salary dump for Vancouver…Garland is signed for $4.95 million AAV for four more years (and the Devils of course get someone who’s cost-controlled).  The Canucks would be acquiring an arb-eligible RFA who would need to be signed this offseason…guess the question would be would Zacha again potentially play the KHL card?  And if the Canucks are 1) at all bullish on Zacha, and 2) if they’re concerned about trading Garland for what could be about a half-season of Zacha?  Gotta admit, if I’m the Devils I definitely would consider this.

Didn’t realize how small Garland is…5’ 8” or so.  Not the end of the world of course…not like smaller guys can’t ever be productive.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Didn’t know that, would be a weird move by Vancouver, especially considering they signed him this summer.

The old management signed him to that deal. Jim Rutherford has a different opinion I guess.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The old management signed him to that deal. Jim Rutherford has a different opinion I guess.

Apparently the previous GM was pretty irresponsible with his cap.  Looks like Rutherford is doing what he can to get some space back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wonder if a Garland for Zacha trade would make sense. Zacha needs a change of scenery. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It would be a bit of a salary dump for Vancouver…Garland is signed for $4.95 million AAV for four more years (and the Devils of course get someone who’s cost-controlled).  The Canucks would be acquiring an arb-eligible RFA who would need to be signed this offseason…guess the question would be would Zacha again potentially play the KHL card?  And if the Canucks are 1) at all bullish on Zacha, and 2) if they’re concerned about trading Garland for what could be about a half-season of Zacha?  Gotta admit, if I’m the Devils I definitely would consider this.

Didn’t realize how small Garland is…5’ 8” or so.  Not the end of the world of course…not like smaller guys can’t ever be productive.  

Zacha  seems like a change of scenery is what he needs, also gives me the vibe of a guy who really would have no issue going back to the KHL at some point but who knows. Friedman made it seem like they really may just want the cap flexibility, hence draft pics and or ELC's going back.

Didn't realize Garland was 5' 8" that would give me pause. At some point I think you can have too many of them and be soft to play against as a result. I think overall we're pretty soft already. In general size matters, no matter what they say 😎

47 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Didn't realize Garland was 5' 8" that would give me pause. At some point I think you can have too many of them and be soft to play against as a result. I think overall we're pretty soft already. In general size matters, no matter what they say 😎

It hasn’t mattered for Zacha. 

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where are you getting this “70%” from?  Is it based on anything legit?

Considering that the Devils have a 1C and 2C locked up for several years beyond this one, don’t think it’s all that crazy to want to see the Devils address more glaring needs (like their wingers, for starters…by acquiring a guy who calls LW or RW home).  Maybe Turcotte can transition to wing, maybe he can’t…we don’t know.  Not like making up some % means that it’s somehow probable that he’ll be a successful winger though.  

Do we though?

At this point i kind of see Nico more as a top notch 3C and a slightly below average 2C.

There's literally no teams or fans around the league going "oh we really need to shut down Nico Hischier tnight". He's pretty vanilla.

Personally I don't see us challenging for a cup with Nico as our 2C. I could however see us challenge for a cup if he was our 3C. He's really more a Jordan Staal than a Crosby / Malkin guy. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Do we though?

At this point i kind of see Nico more as a top notch 3C and a slightly below average 2C.

There's literally no teams or fans around the league going "oh we really need to shut down Nico Hischier tnight". He's pretty vanilla.

Personally I don't see us challenging for a cup with Nico as our 2C. I could however see us challenge for a cup if he was our 3C. He's really more a Jordan Staal than a Crosby / Malkin guy. 

He’s had absolute sh!t at wing for some time now. I guarantee if you put Bratt with him he’d be putting up decent 2C numbers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s had absolute sh!t at wing for some time now. I guarantee if you put Bratt with him he’d be putting up decent 2C numbers. 

Maybe. But to me he still never feel like a threat when he has the puck on his stick like i feel when like Bratt or Jack has it. Or like when other players on the opposing team does

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Maybe. But to me he still never feel like a threat when he has the puck on his stick like i feel when like Bratt or Jack has it. Or like when other players on the opposing team does

I think you’re both right. I’d like to see Nico with better wings, and I can’t say we have 2C “locked up” until we do. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you’re both right. I’d like to see Nico with better wings, and I can’t say we have 2C “locked up” until we do. 

This is fair.

At any rate, given his AAV and number of years left, he’s going to get every chance to show what kind of 2C he can be.  But he won’t be able to do it without better wingers.

One of the articles speculated we could also be interested in Boeser as well. Which would almost be full circle as he was the pick we traded for Schneider, except it wasn't as I am a moron, so it's more of a massive square. 

The price suggested in the article I saw was Smith , Zacha and a pick.  Still not willing to give up on Smith , but you have to give to get. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
Stupidity

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

One of the articles speculated we could also be interested in Boeser as well. Which would almost be full circle as he was the pick we traded for Schneider. 

The price suggested in the article I saw was Smith , Zacha and a pick.  Still not willing to give up on Smith , but you have to give to get. 

Hum, no he wasn't. 

You're mixing him up with Bo Harvat

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hum, no he wasn't. 

You're mixing him up with Bo Harvat

I think this is like the 10th time I have made this mistake. I even checked the other day and realised. And my brain has just gone , nah it was the other one. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Nico produces at a 60-point pace with dog turds as his wings. That pace alone makes him a good 2C.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

just for fun. Who would you rather have between the 2 ?

Honestly I don't watch enough of them to make any informed judgment (and even if I did , based on current evidence, I would probably get them confused). 

Boesers numbers are better, but his injury history concerns me. Guy has never managed to play a full 82 games or close after his broken back.