The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

How bad, exactly, has our goaltending been this season? Blurb courtesy of the Athletic    

“Between those six goalies, the Devils have conceded a collective 34.5 more goals than expected in all situations. That equates to around six wins on the season. Flipping six regulation losses to wins brings this team up to a 23-22-5 record and 51 points on the season. It would move them four teams ahead in the Metropolitan, and slide them into ninth in the conference, behind the Bruins.” 

Before you say anything about the defense, goals above expected metric takes into consideration strength of defense and only looks at goals that “should’ve been saved” by an NHL goaltender. 

It is not hyperbole to say that even in an injury riddled season that saw their best two players (Hughes & Dougie) miss significant stretches, the Devils would be a bubble team trying to make a playoff push if they’d gotten AVERAGE output from their trash goalies. And again, we’re talking about average for our goalies skill level, not even “nhl average”. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How bad, exactly, has our goaltending been this season? Blurb courtesy of the Athletic    

“Between those six goalies, the Devils have conceded a collective 34.5 more goals than expected in all situations. That equates to around six wins on the season. Flipping six regulation losses to wins brings this team up to a 23-22-5 record and 51 points on the season. It would move them four teams ahead in the Metropolitan, and slide them into ninth in the conference, behind the Bruins.” 

Before you say anything about the defense, goals above expected metric takes into consideration strength of defense and only looks at goals that “should’ve been saved” by an NHL goaltender. 

It is not hyperbole to say that even in an injury riddled season that saw their best two players (Hughes & Dougie) miss significant stretches, the Devils would be a bubble team trying to make a playoff push if they’d gotten AVERAGE output from their trash goalies. And again, we’re talking about average for our goalies skill level, not even “nhl average”. 

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. As I said in the TBL @ NJ GDT, this team's biggest issue is ABSOLUTELY goaltending this season. It's incredibly bad, and Schneider's last stint here is incredible compared to what we've gotten. Sub .900% SV% is absolutely insane. The Goals above expected is also laughable. They simply can't stop a beachball. Jon Gillies has given up 3 or more goals in 10 of his 12 starts with us. Even with below average defence, that shouldn't happen. That's what happens when you're 2 goalies get injured and you have to play a ECHLer and 2 young AHLers who are very promising, but who were playing in Germany and the USHL last season. 

30 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

That's what happens when you're 2 goalies get injured and you have to play a ECHLer and 2 young AHLers who are very promising, but who were playing in Germany and the USHL last season. 

I mean, Blackwood played 23 games this season. The Devils needed him to be way, way, way, way better -- even before the injury. 

No matter who was in net this season, it's been horrendously bad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Mehhh i'm also out of gas to do research lol worst thing is i was doing research to prove why he should definitely be gone lol

To me it's so very clear that 5 on 5 the guys are not doing well. I mean, how many goals were scored against us with guys all by themselves in front of the net. I can understand that it will happen every once in awhile on a broken play or something. But it's constantly happening to us in almost a systematic way.

Anyway at this point that he's a decent coach or not is almost irrelevant. They need a new voice. Coaches has been fired in the past for way way less

I looked it up.  5 on 5 goals against and rank:

2013-2014: 134  7th

2014-2015: 124 3rd

NAS HIRED

2015-2016: 132 12th

2016-2017: 149 16th

2017-2018: 167 22nd

2018-2019: 184 26th

2019-2020: 156 27th

2020-2021: 152 24th

2021-2022: 134 32nd

• Like 1
  • Shocking 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I mean, Blackwood played 23 games this season. The Devils needed him to be way, way, way, way better -- even before the injury. 

No matter who was in net this season, it's been horrendously bad. 

Absolutely agreed. From what we've heard, looks like Mac's heel was still injured when he played this season, so I'm willing to give him some slack. Let's hope he can comeback strong next year after some much needed rest. I also hope Bernier will be able to come back.

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

NAS HIRED

Can't be understated how the goaltending affects this. As I said, it's absolutely brutal. Might be the worst stretch we've ever seen. Goals above expected is horrendous. Also, our PK, which Nas is responsible for, has greatly improved. Again, I don't want to seem like I love Nas lol, if he doesn't come back, I won't be sad lol. Just saying that he's not ONLY bad. 

Edited by Devs3cups

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

NAS HIRED

YEah that's more in line with what i expected. 

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

NAS HIRED

SCHNEIDER IS INJURED, AND IS NEVER THE SAME

I don't like Nas either, but I edited to add a bit of context.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

NAS HIRED

If I am reading this right, and things progress the way they seem to be, we are going to have significantly more goals against this year than any of those other years. 

@Colorado Rockies 1976 extrapolate this year's total across 82 games, please!!

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I can’t believe how much rope he’s been given. I mean even in the playoff year they were in the bottom 3rd of the league. 

I don't get it either.

Again, i won't take any stance like i know what's going on. But IMO the options are

a) Management already have something in mind for next season. Either Dineen or that european coach or something else and don't feel a temporary change would be beneficial considering the state of the team.

From that point of view, i'm not saying i agree but I can understand why they wouldn't just fire coaches just to find a temporary coaches for a few months. Guys are already confused as it is, learning a new system right now might not help much. Unless it would be from the new coaching staff that'd be there for awhile.

b) Management already have something in mind for next season. Either Dineen or that european coach or something else and couldn't find someone that they were happy with.

c) Management decided to write off this season and get a good pick.

d) Somehow Fitz actually believe in his coaching staff and knows more than we do and see that the players are actually not executing what the coaches are asking.

e) Fitz just suck and he's clueless

f) Nasrredine has information that could ruin Fitz life and has him by the balls.

g) The management REALLY want us to challenge for Bedard or Michkov next season and they are doing this all on purpose like you'd see in movies... or Ted Lasso.

So those are all scenarios that i believe could be the reason. I just have no idea what it is really. So for my sanity, i just choose to believe one that doesn't make me want to punch a wall every game.

I'm fully happy to believe that we'll suck enough this year so that there's no chance Nas is back and that we get a new coaching staff next season and a better pick to trade or draft this season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I am reading this right, and things progress the way they seem to be, we are going to have significantly more goals against this year than any of those other years. 

@Colorado Rockies 1976 extrapolate this year's total across 82 games, please!!

Sure...

So I take 134, divide that by 50 (games played to date), multiply that by 82, and come up with:

FIRE nASS AS SOON AS THIS SEASON ENDS, FFS!

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure...

So I take 134, divide that by 50 (games played to date), multiply that by 82, and come up with:

FIRE nASS AS SOON AS THIS SEASON ENDS, FFS!

Lol, math is not my strength, but this is a 100% correct equation. 

• Thanks 1

I really think the Devils love Dineen, are willing to let him build his own staff around him, and don't want to totally botch a really exciting thing happening in utica and hand their new head coach a steaming in-season pile of smelly sh!t in the process. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I really think the Devils love Dineen, are willing to let him build his own staff around him, and don't want to totally botch a really exciting thing happening in utica and hand their new head coach a steaming in-season pile of smelly sh!t in the process. 

I think this is very plausible too. Dineen would obviously not make any miracle this year in the NHL. And if we move him up, we're basically throwing a wrench in their season which is really beneficial to Holtz and other youngsters.

If he was coaching another team not linked to us and that our prospects maybe he could have been brought in, but making this change would impact both our teams and both our teams would sort of suffer from it while we're not doing anything special in the NHL this year and our AHL team has a chance to win actually

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

More and more this is my hope.

What will REALLY piss me off is if Dineen is promoted to the Devils' HC this offseason, but Fitz insists on saddling him with nASS.  Let this guy put together his own staff...with none of the current "coaches" sticking around.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

NAS HIRED

When Ruff was appointed, I was prepared to accept that Nas might be better under a new head coach, but he isn't. If he's still behind the bench at the start of next season, I'll be pulling out my hair, and I really can't afford to lose any more of that.

• Haha 2

On 2/18/2022 at 2:51 PM, Aitchmack said:

When Ruff was appointed, I was prepared to accept that Nas might be better under a new head coach, but he isn't. If he's still behind the bench at the start of next season, I'll be pulling out my hair, and I really can't afford to lose any more of that.

If next season Nass is still behind the bench and Subban re-signed i'm rooting for another team lol

On 2/18/2022 at 12:44 PM, SterioDesign said:

I don't get it either.

Again, i won't take any stance like i know what's going on. But IMO the options are

a) Management already have something in mind for next season. Either Dineen or that european coach or something else and don't feel a temporary change would be beneficial considering the state of the team.

From that point of view, i'm not saying i agree but I can understand why they wouldn't just fire coaches just to find a temporary coaches for a few months. Guys are already confused as it is, learning a new system right now might not help much. Unless it would be from the new coaching staff that'd be there for awhile.

b) Management already have something in mind for next season. Either Dineen or that european coach or something else and couldn't find someone that they were happy with.

c) Management decided to write off this season and get a good pick.

d) Somehow Fitz actually believe in his coaching staff and knows more than we do and see that the players are actually not executing what the coaches are asking.

e) Fitz just suck and he's clueless

f) Nasrredine has information that could ruin Fitz life and has him by the balls.

g) The management REALLY want us to challenge for Bedard or Michkov next season and they are doing this all on purpose like you'd see in movies... or Ted Lasso.

So those are all scenarios that i believe could be the reason. I just have no idea what it is really. So for my sanity, i just choose to believe one that doesn't make me want to punch a wall every game.

I'm fully happy to believe that we'll suck enough this year so that there's no chance Nas is back and that we get a new coaching staff next season and a better pick to trade or draft this season.

There should be more accountability from management. Where's Fitzgerald? He has been given a lot of rope. You don't keep a former interim coach on a new coaching staff. They'll probably look to promote Dineen. 

Bedard is special. He's an insane talent with game-breaking speed and a lethal shot. He also has good vision. Very exciting prospect. Michkov won't be in the league until his KHL contract expires. I think that's 2025 or '26. But whoever takes him will get an NHL ready player who should have an immediate impact. That'll be a great draft.  

4 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

There should be more accountability from management. Where's Fitzgerald? He has been given a lot of rope. You don't keep a former interim coach on a new coaching staff. They'll probably look to promote Dineen. 

Bedard is special. He's an insane talent with game-breaking speed and a lethal shot. He also has good vision. Very exciting prospect. Michkov won't be in the league until his KHL contract expires. I think that's 2025 or '26. But whoever takes him will get an NHL ready player who should have an immediate impact. That'll be a great draft.  

Yeah i dont think many people would want another season like this where we'd be a lottery team lol

If i'd get on the conspiracy theorist bandwagon i'd think that the lack of any communication or interviews we've seen from Fitz "could" mean that the orders are coming from above him. You'd think if not he'd be put in front of the cameras at once every.... 2-3 months haha

I really don't know what's going on to be honest but something feel strange from this side of the fence

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Extra credit for the SAT word, -1 point for spelling lol. 

there are other languages on the SAT?!?

the truth is, without autocorrect I am nothing but a muppet.

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there are other languages on the SAT?!?

the truth is, without autocorrect I am nothing but a muppet.

I have no idea. I was out until 6 am the day before my SAT.