The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

In Devils news that I'm actually pissed off about. Apparently the Devils have 8 games that are exclusively on ESPN+/Hulu. 

I'm not paying for more streaming services. This is exactly the type of sh!t I was worried about when ESPN came on board. I'd rather have had NBC stick around.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve never watched anything on ESPN+ and have had it for over a year as part of my Disney+/Hulu package. 

Glad I’ll finally use it. 

Apparently it looks like the games would be on ESPN+ as well as Hulu so you technically don't need both it seems. 

34 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In Devils news that I'm actually pissed off about. Apparently the Devils have 8 games that are exclusively on ESPN+/Hulu. 

I'm not paying for more streaming services. This is exactly the type of sh!t I was worried about when ESPN came on board. I'd rather have had NBC stick around.

Brutal. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

That is brutal

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Apparently it looks like the games would be on ESPN+ as well as Hulu so you technically don't need both it seems. 

Well, I have Disney+ and Hulu, and as I mentioned above, I believe it’s zero added cost for ESPN+ if you switch to package pricing, which I did just about immediately after it became available. 

So I have it ready to go if needed. 

• Like 1

I’m not saying it’s a good thing at all, but honestly, it’s 8 games you can watch for $35. If you are really cash strapped, you can get the 5 in November for $7.99 and only miss 3. 

Again, while I don’t like the idea of it at all, and my opinions on national games have been expressed several times, it’s not really THAT big of a deal. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying it’s a good thing at all, but honestly, it’s 8 games you can watch for $35. If you are really cash strapped, you can get the 5 in November for $7.99 and only miss 3. 

Again, while I don’t like the idea of it at all, and my opinions on national games have been expressed several times, it’s not really THAT big of a deal. 

For me it's personally more about not supporting the idea of more exclusive streaming options. Everything has its own streaming service nowadays and it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous. People bitch and moan about cable pricing but to have all these streaming services plus a good internet connection it ends up being closer to the same price as cable to begin with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

For me it's personally more about not supporting the idea of more exclusive streaming options. Everything has its own streaming service nowadays and it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous. People bitch and moan about cable pricing but to have all these streaming services plus a good internet connection it ends up being closer to the same price as cable to begin with. 

But without the commercials!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yep. Not surprised honestly, people were like “oh, I can get the same stuff for way cheaper”, but then Hollywood and everyone else said “oh yeah? We have an app for that”.

Had to know they’d figure that out. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would add, if I were to take a stand against streaming services, I wouldn’t start with the one that has Devils games. But that’s just me. 

Just steal everything.

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

fvcking bullsh!t. I’m not paying for that sh!t either. This is enraging. Eight games is a lot.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So I have Hulu, but not ESPN+.  Do I need both in order to watch those games?

I have only gotten into the streaming game since COVID started so I am a little behind on these things.

I believe the games will be on both Hulu and ESPN+ but I'm not 100% on that. Makes sense though since it's under the same Disney umbrella. 

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I believe the games will be on both Hulu and ESPN+ but I'm not 100% on that. Makes sense though since it's under the same Disney umbrella. 

Thanks.  If that is the case I should be alright.  Worst comes to worst I can sign up for ESPN+ and then cancel since it appears a majority of the games are in November.

For a league that is way behind the other NA major leagues, the NHL seems to shoot themselves in the foot a lot.  Adding essentially a paywall/barrier is not how to grow the sport.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For a league that is way behind the other NA major leagues, the NHL seems to shoot themselves in the foot a lot.  Adding essentially a paywall/barrier is not how to grow the sport.

098FDE4E-5564-40E8-8457-DE1ACB2FB4EB.gif

Edited by MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Thanks.  If that is the case I should be alright.  Worst comes to worst I can sign up for ESPN+ and then cancel since it appears a majority of the games are in November.

My personal plan is to just borrow a friend's Hulu account to watch just the 4 away games since I should hopefully be at the 4 home games. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

My personal plan is to just borrow a friend's Hulu account to watch just the 4 away games since I should hopefully be at the 4 home games. 

Hmm, maybe I should sublet my accounts for each game...I have both so let's say $1 a game, times 8 games, times two streaming services...I am gonna be rich!!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah I have almost all the steaming services you can get and I'm still paying less per month than my mother and her optimum cable

I don't have optimum but have her call or do it for her and ask what current promos are going on right now, you're debating canceling, might switch to streaming, blah blah blah. Works almost every time to get put into a "promo" deal and get the bill lowered. Absolutely worth the few mins of time every bunch of months and I've lowered my bill considerably by doing this. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1