2021 NFL Season

NJDevs4978

Mahomes showing why guys like him can burn bright for a while, but flame out much earlier than other QBs.  Gotta wonder how far into his 30s that he plays.  I'd say a good over/under for him (retirement age) is 34.  

I’m not going there yet with Mahomes but right now his career is on more of a Brett Favre track than a Brady track - only Mahomes skipped the early year headaches of Favre, now after matching the three straight MVP quality years Favre had he’s veering into the ‘very good with great flashes but tries to do way too much’ mode that marked the post Holmgren years

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mahomes definitely always had that sloppiness in his game that reminds me of Favre. Just chuck it downfield and hope for the best (just not on the level that Favre used to do it) 

I often wonder what Mahomes would be if he was drafted by a bottom feeder and not a Chiefs franchise in the midst of a successful, well coached, and stable run. Could be dramatically different from the Mahomes that has built this legacy the past several years

22 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I’m not going there yet with Mahomes but right now his career is on more of a Brett Favre track than a Brady track - only Mahomes skipped the early year headaches of Favre, now after matching the three straight MVP quality years Favre had he’s veering into the ‘very good with great flashes but tries to do way too much’ mode that marked the post Holmgren years

Actually Brett's Age 25-28 seasons were his best (years 3-6 of his full-time starter career)...145 TD and only 56 INT...that was an excellent ratio for that time.  He really didn't have too many headaches.

But yeah, got ugly for him after that, really.  TD-to-INT ratio was 326 to 241...that's really wasn't that great during those years.  I always hated when people would defend Favre by saying "He makes plays no one else does!"  I saw Brady, Manning, Rodgers and others make equally impossible throws...the big difference they didn't screw their teams over with nearly as many INTs as Favre did.  I always found Favre to be incredibly overrated...was incredibly durable though.  And played in a tough-weather location for sure.

22 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To be clear, I meant guys who play the game like Mahomes just keep risking getting popped hard, and wearing down more quickly.  Wasn't really killing his abilities (though it looks like his career might be hitting its first crossroads).   

Yeah there’s always that danger with mobile QB’s but some play more reckless than others, you look at a guy like Daniel Jones and he seems like he’s in peril every play while Lamar can run 15 times a game and seemingly never put himself in a bad position except when he’s needlessly somersaulting into the end zone.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I always hated when people would defend Favre by saying "He makes plays no one else does!"  I saw Brady, Manning, Rodgers and others make equally impossible throws...the big difference they didn't screw their teams over with nearly as many INTs as Favre did. 

Gunslinger! Brett was a great player but probably a cut below the three players you mention. That's no insult, though. Those three QBs are all-time greats. 

I recall some comparisons to Brett Favre when Sam Darnold was drafted. That has not come to fruition. 

Didn’t think the Pats could pull this one off…quite surprised.  If they can win the next three (Pats have a solid shot in all three games), I might start to believe that they could have a shot at a playoff berth.  I can absolutely see the Bills having their way with them though.  

One thing New England has is good depth on offense...they don't have the top tier absolute can change a game in a heartbeat Randy Moss types, but guys like Meyers, Bourne, Agholor etc. Their running backs. They all seem to be able to fill each others rolls in a heartbeat, all are smart players and extremely versatile. And the guys are always cycled in and out at the right times. The offense won't crumble as it isn't dependent upon one guy being the bellcow

They gotta clean up the fumbles…6 of them already.  Very un-Patriot-like.  

In case anyone forgot…

…Sam Darnold still sucks.

Bills have actually let the Pats hang around…now only a 1/2 game up.  

Yeah I’m out of the Sam Darnold business, I hoped/thought Carolina would get more out of him cause he’s a nice kid who I actually wanted to find it, but it’s the same crap as Gase-era Darnold.

Yesterday was screwy in general in the NFL. Dallas, Buffalo, the Rams and maybe even Cinci/New Orleans were legit knockout picks and all lost. If I’d just gone anti homer in mine and picked the Colts I’d have won $90, instead me and the other guy left both lost on Dallas, I’m not sure if we’ll split it or go to a second strike which I’d probably prefer lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

Boomer and crew were KILLING Darnold this morning...Boomer basically said that Darnold's playing like a guy who no longer is interested in playing.

Looks like his time as a starter in the NFL might be winding down...still, guys like him sometimes bounce around for a while as little-used backups.  And still get pretty nice money for it.

And yeah very wacky day in the NFL yesterday.  I still think Buffalo wins this division...who knows, maybe yesterday was the game they needed to make them realize that even if they're good, they can't look past supposedly "easy" games on their schedule.  Win ugly if that's what it takes, but don't LOSE ugly.  At any rate, NE shouldn't be as close to them as they are at this point...of course, if Buffalo wins both games against them in December, none of this will matter.  

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Buffalo does have a soft landing next week, if they can’t score on our horsesh!t defense then it’s definitely DEFCON 1 time there.

Agree that the Bills HAVE to win that game...style points don't matter, though of course if you're a Bills fan, you really want to see your team win that one by 20+, with the outcome being decided before the end of the first half...you'd like those December games against NE to not matter too too much.  

Heh heh typical Goodell arrogant NFL...nope, what everyone saw didn't really happen:

NFL Responds To Controversial Taunting Call From Bears-Steelers Game (msn.com)

The NFL just continues to show how it’s low rent and could care less about being hypocritical (and why should they as long as they keep rolling in the dough?), both with the asinine reffing in the MNF game and letting Rodgers/the Packers off absurdly light for flagrantly violating protocols for the entire season. CeeDee Lamb got fined more for an untucked shirt than the golden boy QB did for spitting on the COVID guidelines.

• Like 2

OK Bruce...yeah yesterday was a bad loss, and Brady wasn't at his best, but you ain't nothin' without him...you had one whopping playoff win before he became your QB.  And the one INT CLEARLY was NOT on Brady (it was almost more like a catch and fumble, really).  Enjoy him while you got him, because you'll go right back to being just another coach once he calls it quits:

Bruce Arians Had Blunt Admission On Tom Brady’s Interceptions (aol.com)

Pats making their season more interesting with each win...as long as they don't stumble against the Falcons on Thursday, they'll face four tougher games in a row:  Titans, @ Bills, @ Colts, Bills.  They can probably get by with a split as long as they beat the Bills both games.  With the Falcons, Jags, and Dolphins on their schedule (Pats have to win all of them, really), they have a solid shot to win 10 games on the season...gives them a decent shot at a WC berth, though with a rookie QB and a D that I don't fully trust, can't see them making much noise if they do get in...still, considering the 2-4 start and the fact that Mac is in his first season as a starting QB, not a bad year if they can pull off 10 wins.  

So now it's an actual fight for who wins the AFC East.

Some are already shoveling dirt over the Bills, but in this topsy-turvy NFL, not sure why anyone would give up on them just yet.  NE has four straight tough games, including two against the Bills.  Bills have some tough ones too, but at this point, I'd say either team could win it.  Bills did cost themselves a chance to not need either game against the Pats...they'll probably have to win at least one if they still want to take the East.

We'll know better in late December if the Bills really did piss this away, but they can absolutely recover.  

I mean right now the Pats look like the second best team in the AFC, with the supposed best team now having losses to the Texans AND Jets sandwiching their big string of wins. Buffalo looks like a finesse team struggling with expectations and having real competition in the division this year. Kansas City might change the yesterday’s news narrative if their offense straightens out but this Pats team is looking eerily like 2001 version 2.0. What’s their weakness, the rookie QB who’s been around 80% passing the last two weeks? They have a good running game, a very good D I figured would bounce back after COVID-opt outs/injuries defanged them last year and good TE’s. Their only actual weakness is the lack of a true playmaker on offense, particularly at WR. But their 2001 team had David Patten and Jermaine Wiggins starting for them so, the more things change…

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean right now the Pats look like the second best team in the AFC, with the supposed best team now having losses to the Texans AND Jets sandwiching their big string of wins. Buffalo looks like a finesse team struggling with expectations and having real competition in the division this year. Kansas City might change the yesterday’s news narrative if their offense straightens out but this Pats team is looking eerily like 2001 version 2.0. What’s their weakness, the rookie QB who’s been around 80% passing the last two weeks? They have a good running game, a very good D I figured would bounce back after COVID-opt outs/injuries defanged them last year and good TE’s. Their only actual weakness is the lack of a true playmaker on offense, particularly at WR. But their 2001 team had David Patten and Jermaine Wiggins starting for them so, the more things change…

Right now maybe, but that's the thing this year...not so long ago, people were wondering what the hell was wrong with the Chiefs.  The Pats do look like they're heading in the right direction, and they absolutely did what they had to in winning these five straight games to make these next four matter, but it's these four games that I think are going to define them.  They can win or lose all four or anything in between...nothing would surprise me. 

That being said, I think they split with the Bills.  I have a feeling they'll beat the Titans, and they never seem to lose to the Colts (last time the Colts beat them was in 2009...Pats have gone 8-0 since), so I think they probably find a way to win 3 out of 4; if they split the four games, I wouldn't be surprised.  They'd be 9-6 or 10-5 with two "easy" games left (Jags and Dolphins).  11-6 or 12-5 does seem within reach, barring injuries to key contributors.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow some incredibly stupid coaching in the Bucs-Falcons game.  Bucs up 20-10 and get the ball back VERY deep in their territory with 44 seconds left in the half…they attempt two passes, second one gets picked for a TD.  I know Brady is Brady, but geez, why take that kind of risk?  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow some incredibly stupid coaching in the Bucs-Falcons game.  Bucs up 20-10 and get the ball back VERY deep in their territory with 44 seconds left in the half…they attempt two passes, second one gets picked for a TD.  I know Brady is Brady, but geez, why take that kind of risk?  

Damn you weren't kidding, that looked like Jack Squirek in the Super Bowl against the Theismann Redskins

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn you weren't kidding, that looked like Jack Squirek in the Super Bowl against the Theismann Redskins

Yeah as I was watching it I was immediately thinking “What the fvck are they DOING?!  Take your knees/run in into the line and call it a half!”  Way too much to lose in that spot.