2021 NFL Season

NJDevs4978

Guess the Pats couldn’t be bothered today.  Oh well, at least they’re going to the playoffs.

And of course the Pats D doesn’t get the big stop needed with the game on the line…outside of beating up on Jacksonville, they’ve come up puny for the last month.  One and done coming up, but at least Mac will get some playoff experience as a rookie.  

Wow that is absurd...unless there's something behind the scenes that we don't know about.  Flores did a fine job there overall...curious to see what @MadDog2020 has to say about that one.  

No way he won't get another job before next season.  I would take him back to be the Pats' DC in a heartbeat, but I think he deserves another shot to be a HC.    

Make of it what you will...still think firing Flores is a very questionable move.  His team went 8-2 after a brutal start (and some nail-biter losses), and with nothing to play for, beat a team in the Pats that still had a shot at the division title going in.

As for the Pats...Bills win that one by at least 10.  Unlike the Pats, they came together at just the right time...they really did a hell of a job in beating the Pats in NE, and then not stumbling against lesser opponents.

Pats are a classic paper-tiger pretender.  I get the feeling the Bills will hit 'em hard early, lead them by at least 14 by the half...and then the Pats will play fairly well in the second half, but not enough to ever make the Bills nervous.  Maybe it changes in a year or two, but right now the Bills are simply ahead of the Patriots...they're going to the playoffs for the third straight year, with Josh Allen playing in his fourth season...Mac is a rookie and though he had a plenty solid rookie year overall, he didn't play all that well down the stretch (his numbers look better than they really were due to beating up on the Jags).  I just get the feeling that the Bills are ready to pounce, Mac and the Pats won't know what hit them, and once again BB will be talking about how his team didn't do anything well enough.  Like I've said before, just gotta remind myself that this is a stepping-stone year, even if that 7-game winning streak teased more. 

And somehow Joe fvcking Judge avoids the axe.  I can't imagine being a Giants fan right now.  I would be completely losing my sh!t.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Grier should be the one fired for picking Tua over Herbert. 

Everyone wanted Tua. Every. One. NO ONE had Tua behind Herbert leading up. So that’s hindsight. Herbert was looked at as Tannehill 2.0. Obviously we were all wrong- but go back to 2020, and the narrative was much different. Basically sounds like Flores was a pain in the ass. Another Belichick disciple who thought he was Belichick, but didn’t have the Belichick resume. Whatever. Next. I know I’m never seeing them win anything in my lifetime, so whatever happens happens. Maybe it’ll even work out for once. 😞

Edited by MadDog2020

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Everyone wanted Tua. Every. One. NO ONE had Tua behind Herbert leading up. So that’s hindsight. Herbert was looked at as Tannehill 2.0. Obviously we were all wrong- but go back to 2020, and the narrative was much different. Basically sounds like Flores was a pain in the ass. Another Belichick disciple who thought he was Belichick, but didn’t have the Belichick resume. Whatever. Next. I know I’m never seeing them win anything in my lifetime, so whatever happens happens. Maybe it’ll even work out for once. 😞

For sure, Tua was projected as the top pick there for a while.  That I definitely remember...and the feeling that the Dolphins wound up getting their man, even though they won enough to pick 5th overall in that draft.  

Flores' team played hard for him down the stretch...if his team quit on him, I could see the Dolphins souring on him, but they didn't...it is fair to point out that they played a lot of crap opponents though (and the most worthy one, the Titans, blew their doors off).  Pats are also a bit discombobulated at the moment (and Miami has really become a house of horrors for them).

I would have given him another year myself.  The players seemed to respond to him.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s a terrible comparison. Herbert is literally what you’d come up with if you were designing a prototypical NFL QB in a lab. 6’6, cannon for an arm, good mobility, etc. And it was much closer between him and Tua than you are suggesting. There were certain analysts (like Daniel Jeremiah) saying the Miami FO was split between the two leading right up to the draft.

Hell, I remember even the Bengals being super high on Herbert after coaching him at the Senior Bowl. And we obviously had Joe Burrow sitting there for us. 

Yeah there was definitely a bit of 'personality conflict' with Flores and his GM/QB, but it's still insane.  He'll get another job this offseason for sure, given how much he got out of that team in hopeless causes.  But yeah some of his handling of Tua (particularly last year) was VERY questionable and leads you to think he was the one driving the bus on all the Watson rumors.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

That’s a terrible comparison. Herbert is literally what you’d come up with if you were designing a prototypical NFL QB in a lab. 6’6, cannon for an arm, good mobility, etc. And it was much closer between him and Tua than you are suggesting. There were certain analysts (like Daniel Jeremiah) saying the Miami FO was split between the two leading right up to the draft.

Hell, I remember even the Bengals being super high on Herbert after coaching him at the Senior Bowl. And we obviously had Joe Burrow sitting there for us. 

Herbert’s size and arm talent were never the issue- he checked those boxes no prob. The knock on Herbert was that he would come up small when the chips were down- to me, and to a lot of other people, that is what separated Tua and Herbert. Tua had that championship pedigree from Alabama, coming through in big clutch moments on the biggest stages. Herbert shrunk in those moments in college, repeatedly. Tua never had Herbert’s arm, or his prototypical size, but he had that ‘it’ factor. And I think he still has that in him. The book isn’t done being written yet on Tua. I like a lot of what he’s done. And I always wondered if Herbert would’ve been as successful if the Dolphins had drafted him instead of the Chargers. The Dolphins weren’t nearly as good of a situation as LA was for a young QB. In any event, I hope Tua can have more success under a better offensive coaching staff next year. He improved this year, but not as much as we all hoped. Some of that was his fault, some of that was circumstance. We’ll see what the future holds. 

Edited by MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Herbert’s size and arm talent was never the issue- he checked those boxes no prob. The knock on Herbert was that he would come up small when the chips were down- to me, and to a lot of other people, that is what separated Tua and Herbert. Tua had that championship pedigree from Alabama, coming through in big clutch moments on the biggest stages. Herbert shrunk in those moments in college, repeatedly. Tua never had Herbert’s arm, or his prototypical size, but he had that ‘it’ factor. And I think he still has that in him. The book isn’t done being written yet on Tua. I like a lot of what he’s done. And I always wondered if Herbert would’ve been as successful if the Dolphins had drafted him instead of the Chargers. The Dolphins weren’t nearly as good of a situation as LA was for a young QB. In any event, I hope Tua can have more success under a better offensive coaching staff next year. He improved this year, but not as much as we all hoped. Some of that was his fault, some of that was circumstance. We’ll see what the future holds. 

Gotta get him some more weapons. Waddle was a good start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Gotta get him some more weapons. Waddle was a good start. 

That and an o-line. Our o-line was without a shadow of a doubt the biggest problem we had on the entire team. Part of Flores’ downfall was his inability to hire a competent offensive coaching staff. The o-line coach was 32 fvcking years old with not a minute of NFL o-line coaching experience before 2021. We had a three-headed offensive coordinator triumvirate, in the spirit of Lou, Stevens, and Oates. You saw how that went…. You can pretty much guess how this did. So… yeah lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That and an o-line. Our o-line was without a shadow of a doubt the biggest problem we had on the entire team. Part of Flores’ downfall was his inability to hire a competent offensive coaching staff. The o-line coach was 32 fvcking years old with not a minute of NFL o-line coaching experience before 2021. We had a three-headed offensive coordinator triumvirate, in the spirit of Lou, Stevens, and Oates. You saw how that went…. You can pretty much guess how this did. So… yeah lol.

That’s rough. The Bengals got killed by many in the media for taking Ja’Marr Chase over Penei Sewell (Chase was the right pick btw :D), but we at least brought in veteran OL coach Frank Pollack. Yes, Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league, but a lot of that is just his style of play (always trying to extend plays, occasionally holds the ball too long, etc). The Bengals OL is still by far their biggest weakness, but having a good coach like Pollack instead of Jim fvcking Turner made a huge difference. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That’s rough. The Bengals got killed by many in the media for taking Ja’Marr Chase over Penei Sewell (Chase was the right pick btw :D), but we at least brought in veteran OL coach Frank Pollack. Yes, Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league, but a lot of that is just his style of play (always trying to extend plays, occasionally holds the ball too long, etc). The Bengals OL is still by far their biggest weakness, but having a good coach like Pollack instead of Jim fvcking Turner made a huge difference. 

Coaching is more important for the o-line than any other position. Not even close. O-line play as to be harmonious, and coaching is a huge part of making it that way.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m on cloud fvcking 9 right now. First Bengals playoff win I’ve seen since I was 8 years old. Shed a few tears ngl.  

Congrats man. It’s the Lions and my Dolphins now leading the playoff win drought. 91 for Detroit, 2000 for the Fins 😖

I was in college the last time the Dolphins won a playoff game.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Definitely expected a loss, but definitely not a blowout to that degree.  Pats had absolutely no answers on either side of the ball.  Game was effectively over at 14-0.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely expected a loss, but definitely not a blowout to that degree.  Pats had absolutely no answers on either side of the ball.  Game was effectively over at 14-0.

You guys need some weapons in the worst way. Can’t expect a young QB to work with what they currently have. 

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You guys need some weapons in the worst way. Can’t expect a young QB to work with what they currently have. 

Yeah, BB got spoiled by Brady being able to make do with whatever he was given to work with...the Pats clearly had some killer receiving corps from time to time, but there were also seasons where Brady's #1 was a Reche Caldwell-type.  Or a firmly "pretty good" guy in Deion Branch.

BB still has something to prove, in terms of not having Brady around, who had a way of making a lot of people look good during his time as a Patriot (here's looking at you, Josh McDaniels).  What was most concerning about this season was the way the defense completely fell apart down the stretch...yes, the Pats had a rookie QB and I never thought that this was a "Boom or Bust" year by any stretch, but at the same time, BB did spend a lot on his team...I fully had the Bills winning this game, but it's the WAY that the Pats lost that is concerning.  7 possessions and 7 TDs?!  Can't find a way to stop them ONCE?!  This is where Brady was SO valuable to everything they did...he helped to cover up for a lot of meh to poor Patriots Ds through the years...the Pats probably still don't win on Saturday night with Brady under center, but I'm guessing they would have found a way to hang around for a bit...they probably at least come close to matching the Bills in points through the first 2-3 quarters.  And I'm not knocking Mac here...Brady turned out to be a one-of-a-kind, that guy who's put himself into the "GOAT" conversation, as much as I've never been much of a fan of any of that (football's changed so much from era to era I don't know how you can really make comparisons).  I think Mac will turn out to be solidly good, and a guy who you can win with as long as everything's in place around him, which let's face it, most of the time that's what you hope for from your QB.  If you get so much as one ring from your "He's Our Guy" QB, you take it...obviously it's great to have Brady play for your team, but many fans would happily take, say, Joe Flacco's career.  Or Eli Manning's.   

I won't be surprised to see the Pats take a step BACK next season, honestly...they need a lot more pieces than a 10-7 team with a solid rookie QB suggests.  I think the team that couldn't stop ANYONE not named the Jaguars over their last five games is the "real" Patriots.  There's much work to be done, and I'm not sure one offseason will be enough to address them all.  And like I've said previously, it's OK...after the run that they had, any Patriots fan not willing to show some degree of patience is not being fair.  But now I'm convinced that the only real "trending up" part of the Pats is Mac Jones...I think the rest is a lot of question marks.    

Little late to comment on this but while I didn't see them making a Super Bowl this year...they had stretches where they were clicking on all cylinders and Mac Jones seemed very ahead of schedule. You had the entire NFL looking at Belichick and New England and wondering..."Oh sh!t, here we go again". That brilliantly coached and executed 14-10 win vs Buffalo had everyone bowing to them. But they came apart in the aftermath. That game where the Colts shredded them on the ground they never really regained their swagger from it.

Overall for New England this year the good far outnumbered the bad. They are well positioned to make a run here within the next 2-3 years. Will Jones take that step forward and become a top 10 QB? A lot hinges on that, as well as what Miami and Buffalo do. But they absolutely have to go out there and get Jones some elite playmakers at the receiver position. It's not gonna happen with Meyers-Bourne-Agholor as your top 3. All three are decent but they're not scaring anybody going into a tough playoff game on the road