Hockeys back! Rookie Camp With Streaming! Sun vs BOS 1pm

DevilMinder

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Kinda hoping they do a throwback night and rock that old logo. I always had a soft spot for the Utica Devils because that was that farm team when I started following NJ

If they do that those game worn jerseys will sell for a small fortune. 

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Mercer is the best F, Okhotyuk is the best D.
I like what Bahl doin, Foote is solid, Holtz is... ok. Must be better. Talvitie looks like he can be another 200 foot good player. 
Walsh svcks

Holtz has time but I think it is apparent he is not going to come out and impress immediately. Mercer def looks good.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Holtz has time but I think it is apparent he is not going to come out and impress immediately. Mercer def looks good.

I think he is only one who can play center. And I think he will be better on the wing. anyway there are only wing spots in our top-6 )

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

To this day I still havent been impressed by Holtz like.... ever. He was last on my list of who i wanted to draft that year. To me it was apparent that he just didn't "have it" then and i still don't see it. 

Thoughts from the game:

Really impressed with Zetterlund. Hoping he can start on the 4th line with the Devils this season. Good energy and a fair amount of skill.

Holtz: Started off slowly, but began to do what he's supposed to be doing, getting open in the right spots and ripping shots. The goals will come if he continues to do that. I also think he offers a lot more than just shooting, which is all everyone ever talks about.

Mercer: Solid, he improved throughout the game. Showing what he will bring to the next level. He's a really complete player. I thought he began to develop some chemistry with Holtz, which was nice to see.

Bahl: Still lukewarm on him, but liked him more here than in the other games I've seen.

Daws: Made some big saves, he might actually have an NHL future.

Clarke and Okhotiuk look most NHL ready on the Devils to me.

Walsh was showing why he has struggled to make it to the next level.

Chico: I miss this guy so much. He is a ton of fun on the air, always laughing and making jokes.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

To this day I still havent been impressed by Holtz like.... ever. He was last on my list of who i wanted to draft that year. To me it was apparent that he just didn't "have it" then and i still don't see it. 

Yeah I don’t want to rush to judging that kid either, but I didn’t love the pick at the time, and wonder why some have him as this future sniper.  Haven’t shown much ability to find the net so far, wherever he’s been.  But still way early.

Yeah the cameraman must have been a kid who had a glorified camcorder on a tripod with a stiff swivel based on how it was presented.  It was pretty brutal.

Foote was alright, needs to work on his skating still.

Holtz played alright as well.  Got better as the game went on.

Mercer was our best forward.  Just all over and looked like he belonged.

Bahl was meh

Okhotiuk was our best D-man.

Ever since chico came back he’s been far more unfiltered.  I wish we got more of this when he was on TV instead of being buried on streaming radio (I guess that plays a large part into why he is more unfiltered).

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I don’t want to rush to judging that kid either, but I didn’t love the pick at the time, and wonder why some have him as this future sniper.  Haven’t shown much ability to find the net so far, wherever he’s been.  But still way early.

I didn’t see it myself but I have heard that he didn’t really impress during his short stint last year with Bing.  Looking more and more like Mercer was the better pick.

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah like i said awhile ago. Sure he takes a LOT of shots, but doesn't have a lot of goals as a result. That's not a sniper, snipers will score more often than not when put in a position to do so, they are precise.

What he does is more like a machine gun. Shoots a lot in a general direction with little accuracy and will eventually hit something.

I'm not sure how to explain it, im not a scout. But anytime i watched him play or highlights before the draft... he just doesn't have the..... oomph..... factor? Doesnt appear to have the jump, shifty or wtv how to explain it.  

Edited by SterioDesign

Hope Okhotiuk will make the roster. Great game from him. I didnt see how he lost puck battle. And ofcourse Mercer was good. Every game in Q i did watch last season was only fun to watch him. I like how Talvitie did play today, not flashy, but good 200 foot game. Holtz must be better to score. He finally start to move and not standing and waitin for the shot. Good pass game from him, did make great pass to Clarke.  Foote was ok, but wanna see more physical game from him, more involved, more push in forecheck.
I know it is a loss but it was a prospect game only. Devils looks better(except Walsh), there were a lot of talent. And buffalo goalie is a good high rank 23 yo prospect. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Foote was alright, needs to work on his skating still.

When he passed on a wide open shot off of a brilliant feed from Mercer, only to skate behind the net and attempt a stupid pass that wasn’t there, killing the play, I said ‘yep, he’s a Devil’.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Sad 1