Travis Zajac retires - will join the team as a consultant

Nicomo

Not that I ever assumed that Travis wasn't into being here...but with him signing the one-day deal to retire as a Devil, and then immediately taking a job to stay with the organization...made me realize how much the Devils mean to him.

Get the feeling that within 3 years, he'll be an assistant...and then in time (maybe after cutting his teeth in Utica), he'll get a shot to coach the big club.  Just one of those hunches.  As long as it goes better than it did with poor Johnny Mac (could it possibly go worse?)...   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That's really cool to see. I hope that loyalty rubs off on the younger guys. 

Two things:

Does Lou even realize that there's a salary cap in the NHL?  Not for nothin', but goddamn, sometimes it seems like he can't spend up to (or above and beyond) the cap limit fast enough.  

As for the other...kinda funny, in that the years of losing and general irrelevance clearly got to Travis last season, when he asked to be dealt...but he clearly feels at home here in a way that he wouldn't anywhere else.  I like that both he and Marty are still here, still a part of things.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two things:

Does Lou even realize that there's a salary cap in the NHL?  Not for nothin', but goddamn, sometimes it seems like he can't spend up to (or above and beyond) the cap limit fast enough.  

As for the other...kinda funny, in that the years of losing and general irrelevance clearly got to Travis last season, when he asked to be dealt...but he clearly feels at home here in a way that he wouldn't anywhere else.  I like that both he and Marty are still here, still a part of things.   

I don't know about this.

My thought is that he asked to be traded so he could to get one last shot in the playoffs(with some friends). He likely already knew that he'd retire given NJ was probably not going to re-sign him and he didn't want to play anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't know about this.

My thought is that he asked to be traded so he could to get one last shot in the playoffs(with some friends). He likely already knew that he'd retire given NJ was probably not going to re-sign him and he didn't want to play anywhere else. 

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yea, I watched it on the press conference. Zajac made the call so he was probably already considering retirement when he asked to get traded. He was pretty emotional on the call. I'm glad NJ is keeping him in house and that Fitz is true to what he's said about building a family atmosphere there. 

• Like 1

Yeah hope the Ring of Honor becomes a thing again…plenty of worthy candidates (Zajac among them).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah hope the Ring of Honor becomes a thing again…plenty of worthy candidates (Zajac among them).

I think Lou is the next inductee, and that’s why nothing has happened since McMullen’s night. Lou goes in, and then the players follow. That’s my theory anyway lol.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think Lou is the next inductee, and that’s why nothing has happened since McMullen’s night. Lou goes in, and then the players follow. That’s my theory anyway lol.

Can you imagine being the guy who has to ask Lou to participate in something like that?? That’s such a very unLou thing but you are totally right,  it only makes sense to have it be McMullen, then him, then the players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Can you imagine being the guy who has to ask Lou to participate in something like that?? That’s such a very unLou thing but you are totally right,  it only makes sense to have it be McMullen, then him, then the players. 

I think Lou will eventually- once his career is over and he’s retired from hockey (if he ever is)- will be happy to receive that honor. It’s certainly not like Lou to ever want the focus on him, but I think he’ll enjoy being recognized for what he accomplished here. 

Edited by MadDog2020