Should Brylin's #18 be up in the rafters?

Rock

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Giguere had been awful in the Finals, I would agree.  But in Games 3 and 4, where a Devils win in either one probably means an earlier adios, he allows only two goals totals.  And then FINALLY gets some real support in Game 6 (and only allows two goals), after getting so little of it for much of the playoffs.

Marty had a .934 save% for the 2003 playoffs, Giguere finished at .945%.  Not that I would base the winner on that stat alone, just presenting that number.  

Like I said, Marty was a little behind him. .011 behind him. 

On 9/26/2021 at 1:35 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Giguere had been awful in the Finals, I would agree.  But in Games 3 and 4, where a Devils win in either one probably means an earlier adios, he allows only two goals totals.  And then FINALLY gets some real support in Game 6 (and only allows two goals), after getting so little of it for much of the playoffs.

Marty had a .934 save% for the 2003 playoffs, Giguere finished at .945%.  Not that I would base the winner on that stat alone, just presenting that number.  

I actually agree with you and obviously the Conn Smythe is awarded for the body of work over the full two months of the playoffs but it was still damn hard to watch a guy that I saw give up 15 goals in person over 4 games at the Meadowlands win any type of MVP.  

Unfortunately, I think Marty probably lost it when that fluke goal off his stick extended the series in game 3.   It would have been much harder to give it to Giguere if the series only went 4 or 5 games.        

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I actually agree with you and obviously the Conn Smythe is awarded for the body of work over the full two months of the playoffs but it was still damn hard to watch a guy that I saw give up 15 goals in person over 4 games at the Meadowlands win any type of MVP.  

Unfortunately, I think Marty probably lost it when that fluke goal off his stick extended the series in game 3.   It would have been much harder to give it to Giguere if the series only went 4 or 5 games.        

Yeah to me between the first three rounds and then playing well at home in SCF (where in the first two homes he once again had to be damned near perfect), Giguere did enough to earn the Conn without it being some horrible slight.

That being said, if the award had gone to Marty, Friesen, or Nieds, I wouldn't have been saying "Dammit, JSG should've won!"  I especially would've been thrilled if Marty had won.  My whole point was more that due to every last thing factored in, I thought that even on a losing team, JSG had done more than enough to become a very worthy candidate.  Of course, to those who subscribe to the "How can you give it to a guy whose team lost?" camp, they'll never agree.