2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

18 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I've had over 20+ annual flu shots over my life and they are far less effective percentage-wise than the current Covid vaccines, so if I have to take a 3rd or 4th shot to continue living healthy then so be it

I'm vaccinated for covid and can't remember my last flu shot but it was about... 20 years ago.

That's beside the point i was making though. Point is that a passport vaccine doesn't guarantee as much as people want to believe it and it's impossible to predict the future so to strictly using that is a flawed system

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm vaccinated for covid and can't remember my last flu shot but it was about... 20 years ago.

That's beside the point i was making though. Point is that a passport vaccine doesn't guarantee as much as people want to believe it and it's impossible to predict the future so to strictly using that is a flawed system

Except that it does have a proven success rate, where being unvaccinated and having a negative test within 24 hours is pretty much meaningless, as you could have contracted COVID  before, during or after said test. 

Yes, you can get it despite vaccination, but its something in the neighborhood of 80-90% less likely. It's not a guarantee against Covid, but I will accept 80-90% efficacy. I don't think anyone believes that the vaccine is 100% effective, if they do, they haven't paid attention to any of the news or any studies. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Understood, but I think a vaccine passport is STILL better than nothing. Sure you can still contract it while vaccinated, but that's the point of vaccination: getting enough people vaccinated so that the disease is manageable enough to where your symptoms aren't as bad, therefore presenting less of a viral load. We aren't quite in that post-vax baseline risk but eventually we will get to that era of "cold, flu and Covid season".  Chances are, most of us will be infected with it at some point in the future, and hopefully we are at a point with vaccination that the effects of the disease are negligible and it starts to normalize i.e. RSV and influenza. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Except that it does have a proven success rate, where being unvaccinated and having a negative test within 24 hours is pretty much meaningless, as you could have contracted COVID  before, during or after said test. 

Yes, you can get it despite vaccination, but its something in the neighborhood of 80-90% less likely. It's not a guarantee against Covid, but I will accept 80-90% efficacy. I don't think anyone believes that the vaccine is 100% effective, if they do, they haven't paid attention to any of the news or any studies. 

If you contract covid that day you won't be contagious for another 2-3 days based on most studies at the earliest, most people are the most contagious 2-3 days before symtoms shows up (if they do show up) and that the average is after 5-6 days or up to 14. So there's still more chances of getting it from 75% of the building filled with people with a 10-20% chance of being positive and not knowing.

In these cases i find people don't really look at actual numbers or actual odds, they most likely have they mind made up and that's it. 

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

something for you jersey-heads @DevsMan84, @mfitz804and others:

Looks like all NHL teams will have “dimensional embroidery” on their jerseys this year. some teams did a little reveal about what that would look like; the Devils didn’t BUT to an admittedly untrained eye, it sort of looks like the outline of the NJ logo itself is significantly raised from the crest. Do you guys have any info to share? am i way off? 

edit: if you look at their instagram you’ll see what I (maybe) mean? it’s most noticeable when the black from the logo intersects with the black from the circle — where there usually wasn’t a difference, here you can see some shadow possibly indicating that the devils outline is embossed. 

Yeah it is part of the new 'PrimeGreen" conversion of the jerseys where 50%+ of the material is made from recycled plastic.

One of the subtle changes they made is that all the crests for the jerseys also removed the feature where part of the jersey material was used as a layer in the crest.  Now, all crests are two layer twill (like the old crests were) with one layer having a slight 3D affect to it.  The big issue with the previous Adidas crests were that the jersey material layer was glued on and would often peel off during gameplay.  I remember that happened during a game to Miles Wood and once to a goalie (it was either KK or Blackwood IIRC).  Luckily, the Devils use backup sets in case that happens.

I have seen some examples of the new 3D affect, but I haven't seen the Devils one yet.  I hope to see one by Wednesday's game.

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i do think it’s noticeable on their instagram page post. maybe not in-your-face evident but it does look different.

Someone posted this in a discord where you can see the differences more.

Ducks old:

spacer.png

Ducks PrimeGreen:

spacer.png

Lightning PrimeGreen (notice the raised area near the bottom and right edges)

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Or if you’re going for awesome backdrops and picturesque sights, have the game at sunset and avoid the bulk of the direct sunlight 

That's a great idea.   I think having it at night makes sense for obvious reasons, but my first thought was "well that kinda sucks that you won't get to see the game being played on a beautiful day".  Was it this past year that they played near Lake Tahoe?  Whenever that was, I genuinely enjoyed seeing a cloudless blue sky above the rink - that seemed pretty special, since obviously every NHL game is otherwise play indoors.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's a great idea.   I think having it at night makes sense for obvious reasons, but my first thought was "well that kinda sucks that you won't get to see the game being played on a beautiful day".  Was it this past year that they played near Lake Tahoe?  Whenever that was, I genuinely enjoyed seeing a cloudless blue sky above the rink - that seemed pretty special, since obviously every NHL game is otherwise play indoors.  

Arguably, that’s kind of the entire point of having an outdoor game. Doing it in the dark you lose the whole visual. 

But, conversely, ice needs to be frozen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Arguably, that’s kind of the entire point of having an outdoor game. Doing it in the dark you lose the whole visual. 

But, conversely, ice needs to be frozen. 

Yeah, exactly.   I suppose doing it at night and under huge lights you might get a cool "Friday night lights" vibe like a High School football or something like that.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, exactly.   I suppose doing it at night and under huge lights you might get a cool "Friday night lights" vibe like a High School football or something like that.  

I’m sure it would be awesome to attend, but on TV, it will probably just look like another game, give or take. 

10 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Future Devil being even a less relative term with that deal Hughes signed :)

sh!t.

It wasn’t unexpected. I don’t expect to see Q in NJ until he’s in the twilight of his career. I will be perfectly happy with that, because it would mean the other two stuck it out until Q’s twilight.