2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

Actually, having reread everything, his vaccination status was not part of the story, it was added. DM asked us not to discuss the vaccine or vaccination status, so that should not have been added. Nor should all have the colic we have followed.

in the scheme of things, the guy asked us for a very little. Least we can do is respect his rules when he asks us to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Imagine in a few years me sharing a tweet like "Barzal signing new contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs after testing free agency" and along the tweet i add "Lou let him make it to free agency without locking him up and......."

Then when people call me out on it I say "Lou let him walk straight into free agency, lost all leverage and he signed somewhere else and lost him for nothing. Those are facts, not my opinion. Thats just NHL news." hahaha Would that fly? Hell no. I'd be full of sh!t to even pretend i wasn't pushing my agenda there. Come on man lol you knew exactly what you were doing lol

So your contention is that his myocarditis wasn't because of his bought with COVID?  Is that your position?

What exactly is your position here - I have little interest in arguing this with you but I'm morbidly curious.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We were asked by DM not to get into these topics. The fact that he had myocarditis and was not vaccinated were facts about the hockey related story, all the rest of it was unnecessary and against the rule DM put in place. 

Anyone paying attention knew he was a vaccine holdout.  It was public knowledge a long time ago.  It wasn't a private position he held; check his social media accounts.

Here, you want an SD-level metaphor?  Talking about his myocarditis without acknowledging his vaccination status would be akin to talking about that horrible flooding last month without referencing Hurricane Ida.  It makes complete sense within the context of the story to bring it up.

Edit: I know you're trying to play mediator here and I'm not trying to lash out at you, but I'm just about done dealing with the other folks on this issue.

Edited by Devilsfan118

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-josh-archibald-indefinitely-heart-condition/

"Archibald has not been healthy enough to skate with his teammates here, despite daily negative COVID-19 tests. After doing blood work, the Oilers doctors found that Archibald — who has posted on social media against getting vaccinated — had contracted COVID-19 at some point.

Archibald was the last player on a Canadian NHL team to remain unvaccinated, which would have been very problematic had the Oilers planned to keep him in their lineup. Every time the team crossed the U.S. border and then returned to Canada — 13 times this season — Archibald would have been forced to quarantine for 14 days, away from his team and teammates."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone paying attention knew he was a vaccine holdout.  It was public knowledge a long time ago.

Here, you want an SD-level metaphor?  Talking about his myocarditis without acknowledging his vaccination status would be akin to talking about that horrible flooding last month without referencing Hurricane Ida.  It makes complete sense within the context of the story to bring it up.

It doesn’t, because the cause of his myocarditis is irrelevant. HeMs not playing. We were asked not to discuss the vaccine. That fact that you (or the  OP) think it needs to be brought up doesn’t change that. 

10 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Posting what happened to Josh and the fact he wasn't vaccainted isn't agenda pushing. It's literally what happened to a player in the league. It's NHL news. 

Maybe I'm wrong but pretty sure DM just doesn't want the back and forth arguing about Covid when nobody is gonna change anyone's minds.

Its agenda pushing when you have to throw in that he isn’t vaccinated. SD was correct in that. He was wrong in continuing to discuss the vaccine after DM asked us not to. 

And you are right, that’s exactly what he didn’t want and it’s exactly what your post caused. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Edit: I know you're trying to play mediator here and I'm not trying to lash out at you, but I'm just about done dealing with the other folks on this issue.

Everyone is done dealing with everyone on this issue, that’s why we aren’t supposed to discuss it anymore. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It doesn’t, because the cause of his myocarditis is irrelevant. HeMs not playing. We were asked not to discuss the vaccine. That fact that you (or the  OP) think it needs to be brought up doesn’t change that. 

No one (except the usual suspects) is trying to debate the pros/cons of vaccine.  @Satans Hockeystated a relevant fact to an article, and, again, the usual suspects bristled and reacted.

Fact of the matter is that vaccination status is going to be a relevant discussion this season, especially since our team possesses one of the few remaining holdouts.  We're still in the middle of this pandemic unfortunately, last I checked.

• Like 1

Surely saying a player is unvaccinated and has myocarditis is just stating two facts, I thought we were avoiding discussions around the reason for such players/ persons make such choices and the validity of those choices. 

Not "we can never mention the vaccine again". 

• Like 3

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

No one (except the usual suspects) is trying to debate the pros/cons of vaccine.  @Satans Hockeystated a relevant fact to an article, and, again, the usual suspects bristled and reacted.

Fact of the matter is that vaccination status is going to be a relevant discussion this season, especially since our team possesses one of the few remaining holdouts.  We're still in the middle of this pandemic unfortunately, last I checked.

It’s not a relevant discussion when the host of the site has asked it not to be a relevant discussion. That was my only point. Throwing that tidbit in was unnecessary, as the cause of the guy’s myocarditis is not relevant. Bringing it up only causes debate and issues that DM asked we avoid. And, obviously, it’s exactly what happened. Because the rule wasn’t followed. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Its agenda pushing when you have to throw in that he isn’t vaccinated. SD was correct in that. He was wrong in continuing to discuss the vaccine after DM asked us not to. 

And you are right, that’s exactly what he didn’t want and it’s exactly what your post caused. 

This is the last I'm going to comment here on this because I'm just beating a dead horse:

The article was about a player developing a condition very closely associated with COVID.  Vaccination status is relevant.  To pretend otherwise is silly.  He did not say "Oh boy had he gotten the vaccine he probably could've avoided this".

If @Satans Hockeyposted something about vaccination status regarding a player who, I don't know, broke his thumb - fine, that would be antagonistic.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Surely saying a player is unvaccinated and has myocarditis is just stating two facts, I thought we were avoiding discussions around the reason for such players/ persons make such choices and the validity of those choices. 

Not "we can never mention the vaccine again". 

I’m not sure that’s accurate. And even if it is, there was no relevance in adding it to the story other than to say “See? this is what happens when you don’t get vaccinated”. It’s 100% agenda pushing, whether its true or not. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not a relevant discussion when the host of the site has asked it not to be a relevant discussion. That was my only point. Throwing that tidbit in was unnecessary, as the cause of the guy’s myocarditis is not relevant. Bringing it up only causes debate and issues that DM asked we avoid. And, obviously, it’s exactly what happened. Because the rule wasn’t followed. 

Completely disagree.  COVID's in the story, it's a relevant piece of information.  We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

For the record, not once have we even discussed the validity of, or thoughts concerning, Archibald's choice to not get the shot.  That, in my opinion, is what DM wants us to avoid.  I have plenty of opinions on that too, rest assured.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Completely disagree.  COVID's in the story, it's a relevant piece of information.  We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

For the record, not once have we even discussed the validity of, or thoughts concerning, Archibald's choice to not get the shot.  That, in my opinion, is what DM wants us to avoid.  I have plenty of opinions on that too, rest assured.

It’s not, because as @SterioDesignpointed out, he could have gotten COVID after being vaccinated. All that is relevant is that he got COVID. Whether or not the vaccine would have prevented that is exactly what we have been asked to avoid. 

Again, the point is, there was a reason it was added when it was not part of the original tweet. One need only read his posts every day to know his opinion on that topic. 

Throwing it in when DM has asked us not to discuss it is only going to bring about yet another back and forth regarding the vaccine, which is precisely what he sought to avoid by making that rule and precisely what happened here. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In other news, Robin Lehner has not posted on Twitter since going off on the league on Saturday night despite claiming he was gonna drop truth tweets the next day if things don't get fixed. Maybe the league cleaned up everything really quickly lol. 

Ugly, really ugly.  And I'm guessing very commonplace honestly.

That said, Lehner's struggles with mental health are public knowledge and I feel like the league is going to leverage that here to downplay his claims.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So your contention is that his myocarditis wasn't because of his bought with COVID?  Is that your position?

What exactly is your position here - I have little interest in arguing this with you but I'm morbidly curious.

I'll just reply to this and be done with it. My position is basically that myocarditis is a condition that you can develop either a) naturally b) from covid or c) from the vaccine. And we also know breakthrough cases happens so you can be fully vaccinated and still get a myocarditis (just like buddy's uncle in this conversation). So no matter what you do, it's possible to get it. So when people is using this condition to push their own narrative, they are using anecdotal / cherrypicked situations to do so. It's self serving and pushing an agenda when we've been asked not to.

Take that uncle for example, he got it after been vaccinated, i'm certainly not going to give an opinion on what i "think" caused it, how could i possibly know? But bringing that up where it's allowed to discuss and you can bet your ass pro-vaxers will claim he got that condition because of covid and anti-vaxers will claim he got it from the vaccine. And it's both 100% possible, no matter how both side would deny it. It's going to open a can of worms every. single. time. As displayed in this thread.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Which is why there is a rule against it that people should follow. 

Yeah and im sorry / want to apologize for continuing the discussion but it had to be called out cause with that post he knew exactly what he was doing. Even when there's rules, when people think they are the "good guys" they tend to think they can bend the rules since they are doing it for the greater good, they are the good guys fighting the bad guys. It's a no-brainer to them.

Problem is, everyone think they are the good guys. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

My position is basically that myocarditis is a condition that you can develop either a) naturally b) from covid or c) from the vaccine. And we also know breakthrough cases happens so you can be fully vaccinated and still get a myocarditis (just like buddy's uncle in this conversation). So no matter what you do, it's possible to get it. 

Incredibly disingenuous position to take, especially the bolded, because you're far more likely to develop such symptoms from COVID than from the vaccine or "naturally".  

Your entire argument is based on the premise that "well anything could've caused the heart inflammation so it shouldn't be brought up" is completely ignoring that it's one of the more significant potential effects of long COVID.  There is at least a causal relationship between the two, if I'm being incredibly generous here.

So when people is using this condition to push their own narrative, they are using anecdotal / cherrypicked situations to do so. It's self serving and pushing an agenda when we've been asked not to.

You understand the irony of this sentence given what I'm quoting below, right?  You're complaining about cherrypicked situations then throwing out your "buddy's uncle" as some sort of justification for your position?

Take that uncle for example, he got it after been vaccinated, i'm certainly not going to give an opinion on what i "think" caused it, how could i possibly know? But bringing that up where it's allowed to discuss and you can bet your ass pro-vaxers will claim he got that condition because of covid and anti-vaxers will claim he got it from the vaccine. And it's both 100% possible, no matter how both side would deny it.

Again - multiple options being "100% possible" doesn't negate statistical possibility / probability.  The theoretical uncle could've also had a preexisting condition that made him more susceptible one way or the other.  There are a thousand variables here which makes your anecdotal experience irrelevant in this discussion. 

It's going to open a can of worms every. single. time. As displayed in this thread.

No kidding - because folks like you cannot help but chime in with your anti-Science opinions every time it's brought up.  

Just stick to ranting about Lou and PK Subban and we'll be good.  Stay in your lane.  I'll do the same here and let this issue go to bed.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah and im sorry / want to apologize for continuing the discussion but it had to be called out cause with that post he knew exactly what he was doing. Even when there's rules, when people think they are the "good guys" they tend to think they can bend the rules since they are doing it for the greater good, they are the good guys fighting the bad guys. It's a no-brainer to them.

Problem is, everyone think they are the good guys. 

You really see yourself as some beacon of truth in this whole thing?  Good lord.

And again, the bolded.  How tone-deaf can one be.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1