2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Does the league have the power to terminate a team’s coach? 

Hmm, not actually sure but I would think so if it comes to something like this.  It might actually be easier since there's no coaches association to fight, at least to my knowledge.   

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I would think they could at least suspend him indefinitely, thus forcing Florida to fire him. 

That they could do. I don't think it will come to that, th pressure on Florida to fire him will be too great and they will do it eventually. 

57 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

The criticism of Kane and Toews is overkill but criticism of anyone in authority in 2010 is fair game. People are understandably angry but to jump down these players’ throats for voicing support for the GM, with whom they have a relationship, is purity spiraling at its worst. It’s typical Twitter stuff. If I were advising those players, I’d advise them not to say anything, because anything they say will be turned against them by the Twitter brigade. 

Justice is not erasing names off the Cup. Is justice Quenneville losing his job in Florida? I think it is. 

Can't see how the bolded doesn't happen.  He's not going to be able to duck the press after every game.  I think he'll be allowed to "step aside" for the good of the team though.  

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

In a world where seemingly anyone who gets outed as being part of any type of controversy, even Twitter posts from 10 years ago, it's hard to believe that he has not been fired yet for actively covering up sexual assault. 

As I said- the Panthers are a second class operation, and they’ve conducted themselves as such here. 

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

As I said- the Panthers are a second class operation, and they’ve conducted themselves as such here. 

I don't know enough about the team to agree with the first part, other than to say that based on this current issue, second class seems too high. 

• Like 1

Add Mike Haviland to the knew about it and didn't do sh!t scorecard as well. The list of sackless a$$holes is endless within that org at that time.  Beach did make a point of thanking John Torchetti multiple times, he found out at the exact time Haviland did. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

I understand there are some complications for the players still on the Hawks but for the rest of them, I'm not sure why it's not as easy as saying something along the lines of "We all knew something weird happened back then but really had no idea the gravity of the situation or the impact it had on Kyle.   I was an ignorant 20 year old and made some comments that I thought were just breaking balls that I now understand had a terrible impact on Kyle and his family and I am completely ashamed of my role in this tragic situation.  I want to provide a sincere apology to Kyle, his family..." etc.    

The players weren't the ones who needed to report Aldridge and make sure he didn't get a chance to do this to anyone else.  You would just hope that a few of them would step up and apologize to Kyle Beach for being ignorant douchebags when they were younger and take a little responsibility for being part of the problem by not being a better friend and teammate, even if he was just a call up.  It seems like that would go a long way for both Beach and their own reputations.   

...but I guess Toews and Kane are going to try a different approach.   Hopefully it stains them both forever.    

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't know the guy from adam on a personal level, but I will be so fvcking heartbroken if it turns out John Madden was part of this whole thing and treated the victim poorly.

One of my favorite Devils of all time.

Me too. It would be incredibly disappointing. He was the inspiration for my name on here. I have two Madden jerseys I would never wear again. 

32 minutes ago, titans04 said:

if he was on the ice practicing, in the locker room and/or around the arena than he was most likely aware.

Big difference between being aware and participating, in my opinion. Anyone who saw something and didn’t say anything, while maybe a little cowardly, might have been afraid of the repercussions of doing so.

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Big difference between being aware and participating, in my opinion. Anyone who saw something and didn’t say anything, while maybe a little cowardly, might have been afraid of the repercussions of doing so.

That's why I said aware.

Personally I think there are  different levels of responsibility and it starts at the top imo. But I don't think anybody who was aware gets a free pass. Just my opinion.  Don't know what Madden said so I won't guess, I will however assume (insert joke here if necessary) that his head wasn't up his a$$ and he was aware. At least he wasn't 1 of the 37 who refused to be interviewed.  I do find the public statements from guys wearing letters and the management group so far to be sickening. 

Torts made some great comments  today one of them being the simple and I'll summarize - would your decision have been the same if it was your 20 year old? Another being somebody just had to stand up and walk the guy out the door. 

Being wrapped up in trying to win a cup must be amazing but does it come at the cost of discarding being a decent human being? Just not ok to me, again just my opinion.

Athletic Writers Twitter - Summary quotes of Kane and Toews Interviews - Shocking they knew nothing about it

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1