2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Parise has 7 goals and 14 assists over his last 57 GP.  Next year he'll be 38.  Feels like this could (should?) be his last season.  At any rate, he came on a cheap flyer deal...if you don't get anything out of him, and conclude sooner than later that he doesn't have anything left, it's not hurting you.

10 G and 16 A for Palms in his last 63 regular season GP...throw in his 19 playoff games from last year, and he has an 82-game body of (lack of) production that's concerning:  17 G and 18 A.  $5 million per season is a lot to pay for someone who is expected to score and isn't...he did have a solid game against the Devils, but he's gotta start burying those opportunities...this isn't some kid learning how to finish...this a vet who was supposed to finish to the tune of 25+ goals per season, based on what he signed for.   

His beard was his source of power. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

His beard was his source of power. 

It is amazing how some guys can seemingly fast-track decline while still relatively young.  We saw that happen with Jeff Friesen, among others.  Palms' production was very steady through his first five seasons...his rate numbers from season to season were very close.  Much different story since the start of last season.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It is amazing how some guys can seemingly fast-track decline while still relatively young.  We saw that happen with Jeff Friesen, among others.  Palms' production was very steady through his first five seasons...his rate numbers from season to season were very close.  Much different story since the start of last season.  

or Sharangovich? :P 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

or Sharangovich? :P 

I know you're kidding, but Palms averaged 30 G and 26 A per 82 GP over a five-year stretch.  Sharangovich basically had a couple of good months.  And unfortunately there's plenty of "flash in the pan" guys who have come and gone (really hoping that Sharangovich isn't in this category...I'd feel better if he was getting his chances but not putting them home...most games he's played this year I barely notice him).  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know you're kidding, but Palms averaged 30 G and 26 A per 82 GP over a five-year stretch.  Sharangovich basically had a couple of good months.  And unfortunately there's plenty of "flash in the pan" guys who have come and gone (really hoping that Sharangovich isn't in this category...I'd feel better if he was getting his chances but not putting them home...most games he's played this year I barely notice him).  

It was really only like 6 weeks. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

His post had a tweet that started: "The Islanders only have 9 players who have scored a goal"

Your reply was: "For comparison, we only have 3"

Without your elaboration (that you were specifically replying to the second part of the tweet), it looked like you were saying "The Devils only have 3 players who have scored a goal." I was also confused. 

I see what you're saying. I was responding to the whole post, not the "headline", as it were. i could have made that clearer. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Zegras sends his stick into the crowd after he scores in OT for the Ducks.  I bet he and Jack had some words after that.

https://streamable.com/xk4pjc

The personal injury attorney in me tells me the flinging of a stick into the crowd is a dangerous risk. 

The hockey fan in me loves it. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, mfitz804 said:

That's not exactly accurate, my man. "Standing near" him? Come on. 

It may not have been a total obvious slewfoot like the rest of them, but their skates collided after PK stuck his leg out. I think that's PK's default move when he knows he is beat to the puck, he just sticks his leg out to try to get in the guy's way. 

Watching the game, I didn't think it looked flagrant. But, check out the reverse angle at 2:19 of this video. It looks to me like he's sticking his leg out intentionally, because if he's not, I don't know what the fvck else he was doing. 

Yeah not great by any means, the whole sticking the leg out is a desperation move.  Nowhere near as blatant as the other slewfoot incidents (maybe because he couldn't get in position or have the leverage to deliver one I guess). Regardless, the end result is the kid blew his knee out and I guess if you're in the f&ck anything Rags it's cool, me I hate to see that happen to anybody. Hate seeing guys get hurt and out for any extended periods of time when they get hit clean, cough Jack. Seeing anybody's season end on something I didn't think was without question clean by a guy with a pretty sh!tty track record  kinda sucks, but we play on. 

Subban is probably keeping Geersten fed well at this point.

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Yeah not great by any means, the whole sticking the leg out is a desperation move.  Nowhere near as blatant as the other slewfoot incidents (maybe because he couldn't get in position or have the leverage to deliver one I guess). Regardless, the end result is the kid blew his knee out and I guess if you're in the f&ck anything Rags it's cool, me I hate to see that happen to anybody. Hate seeing guys get hurt and out for any extended periods of time when they get hit clean, cough Jack. Seeing anybody's season end on something I didn't think was without question clean by a guy with a pretty sh!tty track record  kinda sucks, but we play on. 

Subban is probably keeping Geersten fed well at this point.

They shouldn’t send Geersten to handle it. Let Subban take a few face punches from Reaves and maybe he’ll think twice next time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They shouldn’t send Geersten to handle it. Let Subban take a few face punches from Reaves and maybe he’ll think twice next time. 

agree 100% but there's no shot in hell he would ever do it, he's a pu$$y which makes it even more embarrassing. Stand up for yourself if you're going to do that stuff (forget the Blais play, give him the total benefit of the doubt) but be held accountable for the rest.  I said it before whether it's Reaves or some guy from another team, let him get punched in that windshield for his actions.  

Reaves was asked last night why he didn't go after Subban and he said because he'll never fight and he would've  just gotten a cross checking penalty in a close game giving us a pp. Instead he would look to catch him with his head down (with at hit in the corner).

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You live your life however you want, man, but there isn't a single stat that can tell me "scoreboard and standings watching 12 games into an 82 game season isn't psychotic".  

1 hour ago, point said:

What about those stats that show the Thanksgiving standings a the playoff standings are pretty much identical?

funny just yesterday on the NHL network Hradek and Reid were talking about the hole the Isles have dug themselves into and they brought up the myth around Thanksgiving being and really solid indication of who's going to be in and who's out at the end of the season.  They went onto say over the last decade plus it's not a myth at all it's pretty very accurate most of the time backed up by the numbers which I found really surprising.

Way too early for me to care enough to scoreboard watch but I won't be as quick to discard it as meaningless either.

Of course there's probably a huge difference being a few points out vs. sitting in or near the basement when it comes to the odds of movement but I did find it intriguing for sure. 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, point said:

So tonight, right now,  Flyers are tied with Carolina, And Caps and Blue Jackets are tied as well. We don't  need Car to get 2 pts ahead of us, but rooting for Phil feels nauseating. Caps and CBJ is a toss up..

And in a division like this, division games are like gold nuggets.