2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

35 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

He is on pace for 145 points. 

Draisaitl is on pace for 159 points. 

insanity

McDavid already has over 600 points for his career.  Dude isn't even 25 years old yet.

Oilers have actually slowed up a bit offensively lately...17 goals over their last 6 games (held to 2 or less in four of those games).  RNH has some odd numbers...just one goal through 16 GP, but 18 assists.  

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude is a cyborg.

He may be regarded as the best ever when all is said and done in 10-15 years. 

Absolutely wild.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

And yet they still probably won’t make it out of the first round…lol

And yeah, all this talent is being wasted on a team no one cares about outside of Edmonton.

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’ll have to outscore Gretzky to be considered that in my mind, but he’ll definitely be in the top 5.

Probably an impossible feat in today's NHL (even at his current pace he'd come up like 700 points short at the same number of games played).  Fair point, however.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It’s a different league. If McDavid played in Gretzky’s era I firmly believe we’re saying “Gretzky is amazing but he’s no McDavid.” 

Connor is doing this in a league that’s incomparable in terms of overall skill and scoring. You watch some of Gretzky’s goals and it looks like he’s scoring on a beer league team with a goalie who’s wearing fewer pads than most players do today. 

He’s the GOAT still for obvious reasons, but if McDavid keeps this up for another decade we should have a real conversation about who the best ever hockey player is. 

I don’t care about eras- Gretzky’s numbers were so absurd, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Scoring may have been easier, but when you think that Wayne Gretzky would still be the all-time leading scorer in the history of hockey if you take away every goal he ever scored- I’m sorry, no one is supplanting him as the GOAT. No. One. His numbers are THAT insane. But it makes for a fun discussion, and McDavid will definitely be in the GOAT conversation when it’s all said and done.

Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah back in the 80's, goalies were largely terrible outside of a couple of exceptions and a lot of teams had little to no defensive systems.  That changed in the 90's with teams putting more focus on those positions.

If Ovechkin/Crosby/McDavid played a majority of their careers in that era, they would have surpassed Gretzky's numbers.

• Like 2

If Gretzky never scored a single goal in his entire career he would still be the NHL's all time leading scorer. 

Similarly if he never scored a goal he would still have recorded 11 straight 100 point seasons. 

That's pretty crazy. 

Gretzky has said though that he doesn't think he would put up those numbers in today's game. I think he is being modest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If Ovechkin/Crosby/McDavid played a majority of their careers in that era, they would have surpassed Gretzky's numbers.

I don’t know if anyone would surpass those numbers- they’re video games numbers, only on steroids. Again, Gretzky scored almost 900 goals, and he’s the all-time leading scorer just with his assists. I really wish there was a way to see players from different eras play in this one, and vice versa. Definitely makes for fun discussion. 

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And yeah, all this talent is being wasted on a team no one cares about outside of Edmonton.

Just be thankful he stays far away from us for the most part. Id hate my hockey life if we had to deal with him, ovi, and Crosby several times a year.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know if anyone would surpass those numbers- they’re video games numbers, only on steroids. Again, Gretzky scored almost 900 goals, and he’s the all-time leading scorer just with his assists. I really wish there was a way to see players from different eras play in this one, and vice versa. Definitely makes for fun discussion. 

Ovechkin is going to give it a damn good go with the goals. I don't think anyone ever gets near the assists. Mainly because there are fewer goals scored these days. 

I think people saying it's either Gretzky or McDavid are overlooking  Lemieux way too easily. He is the only person who comes close to Gretzky's PPG record. 

McDavid is pushing but he is still 0.5 PPG shy of Gretzky and 0.46 shy of Lemieux. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Ovechkin is going to give it a damn good go with the goals. I don't think anyone ever gets near the assists. Mainly because there are fewer goals scored these days. 

I think people saying it's either Gretzky or McDavid are overlooking  Lemieux way too easily. He is the only person who comes close to Gretzky's PPG record. 

McDavid is pushing but he is still 0.5 PPG shy of Gretzky and 0.46 shy of Lemieux. 

Ive always wondered what Lemieux could have done if he was healthy his whole career. The fact that he did what he did fighting Hodgkins for a bit and having a back so bad he couldn’t tie his own skates is incredible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ive always wondered what Lemieux could have done if he was healthy his whole career. The fact that he did what he did fighting Hodgkins for a bit and having a back so bad he couldn’t tie his own skates is incredible. 

The 92-93 season Lemieux had was absolutely lights out incredible. Probably his best season production wise. And that was the season he had Hodgkins and had to miss time getting treatment. If he was healthy for that whole season, his numbers would’ve been in a completely other stratosphere. 

26 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I'm also a Lemieux guy. I think people get lost in stats a bit too much too. It was such a different game then. But If you just watch those guys play. I can honestly watch Gretzky highlights and top goals and i don't go "wow" on any of them, none are impressive to me skills wise. The only thing was his IQ, i often get the "how in hell did he know that player would be there?" like Crosby can do now. But I see those Gretzky goals in videos and i see the same goals scored in today's NHL by bottom 6 guys constantly.

Lemieux on the other hand was spectacular and could plow through guys and deke out players and goalies. 

And now i'd say McDavid is even more impressive. He's doing it in an era where parity, goaltending, overall skills and everything is so much better than back then. 

56 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm also a Lemieux guy. I think people get lost in stats a bit too much too. It was such a different game then. But If you just watch those guys play. I can honestly watch Gretzky highlights and top goals and i don't go "wow" on any of them, none are impressive to me skills wise. The only thing was his IQ, i often get the "how in hell did he know that player would be there?" like Crosby can do now. But I see those Gretzky goals in videos and i see the same goals scored in today's NHL by bottom 6 guys constantly.

Lemieux on the other hand was spectacular and could plow through guys and deke out players and goalies. 

And now i'd say McDavid is even more impressive. He's doing it in an era where parity, goaltending, overall skills and everything is so much better than back then. 

Gretzky’s vision and hockey IQ is what really set him apart. You’re right- Gretzky didn’t always wow you with insane skill. But it was his ability to see three, four, five plays ahead; he knew where a guy was gonna be before that guy even knew where he was gonna be. His vision, anticipation, and hockey IQ is what truly made Gretzky the Great One.

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I really don’t get the power trip moves like this. Same as the Babcock sitting Spezza thing mentioned in this article. Why in the world would you make unnecessary line up changes just to avoid a feel-good story? This sport could use any good press it can get 

• Like 1

There's literally NO ONE that Ovechkin struggles against.  He scores against EVERYONE.