2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

42 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2223771/amp?fbclid=IwAR2NB6xk1LKIfUVymvd2SkXeQmS-y8Y6I5i3NpmcIYjZpGs4faLUc9rFe-w

Nord return? Gotta think the league is trying to figure out a plan for Arizona 

Better than the hockey equivalent of trying to make fetch happen...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2223771/amp?fbclid=IwAR2NB6xk1LKIfUVymvd2SkXeQmS-y8Y6I5i3NpmcIYjZpGs4faLUc9rFe-w

Nord return? Gotta think the league is trying to figure out a plan for Arizona 

That would fvck up conference balance though. As much as I’d love a Nordiques return, the league is better off moving Arizona to Houston. Huge untapped market, plus a natural rivalry with Dallas.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That would fvck up conference balance though. As much as I’d love a Nordiques return, the league is better off moving Arizona to Houston. Huge untapped market, plus a natural rivalry with Dallas.

That absolutely makes more sense. Detroit and Columbus both prefer being in the east so moving one of them to the Western conference would be an issue. 

And I think 32 teams is enough at the moment. I don’t really think they need to expand again so soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That absolutely makes more sense. Detroit and Columbus both prefer being in the east so moving one of them to the Western conference would be an issue. 

And I think 32 teams is enough at the moment. I don’t really think they need to expand again so soon. 

I remember when I was in high school, it was 21 teams...16 of them making the playoffs, heh heh.  You really had some HIDEOUS teams making it in back then, especially in the rotten divisions.

At one point, when there were 18 teams, I've gotta say THE worst team ever to make it into the playoffs had to be the 1977-78 Colorado Rockies.  19 wins in 80 GP.  They started off 5-3-3, finished 6-4-3...and went 8-33-14 in between, getting outscored 234-163 in the process.  They won exactly TWO road games the entire season.  They managed to take the Flyers to OT in their first playoff game (despite being outshot by a wide margin), played in the Spectrum no less...but the Flyers seemed to come out with a "Are we really going to lose to THESE fvcking guys?" sneer for OT...they ended the game just 23 seconds into OT, then took care of business in the third period of the second game (played in Colorado), winning the three-game series in two.  And then that was it for franchise playoff hockey for 10 years.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember when I was in high school, it was 21 teams...16 of them making the playoffs, heh heh.  You really had some HIDEOUS teams making it in back then, especially in the rotten divisions.

At one point, when there were 18 teams, I've gotta say THE worst team ever to make it into the playoffs had to be the 1977-78 Colorado Rockies.  19 wins in 80 GP.  They started off 5-3-3, finished 6-4-3...and went 8-33-14 in between, getting outscored 234-163 in the process.  They won exactly TWO road games the entire season.  They managed to take the Flyers to OT in their first playoff game (despite being outshot by a wide margin), played in the Spectrum no less...but the Flyers seemed to come out with a "Are we really going to lose to THESE fvcking guys?" sneer for OT...they ended the game just 23 seconds into OT, then took care of business in the third period of the second game (played in Colorado), winning the three-game series in two.  And then that was it for franchise playoff hockey for 10 years.    

Sounds like a team we should really dedicate stuff to on our current jerseys!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sounds like a team we should really dedicate stuff to on our current jerseys!

Maybe a single stripe per sleeve…one for each road win…

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Move Florida to Houston, Arizona to Quebec City, problem solved. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

imagine that'd make Dawson Mercer the last pick of the first round pick that year if there was 18 teams haha 

Or make Bratt a 9th round pick (well basically go undrafted lol)

Islanders have now lost 8 straight and have been outscored 32-7 in those games.  Doesn’t get much more brutal than that.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Islanders have now lost 8 straight and have been outscored 32-7 in those games.  Doesn’t get much more brutal than that.  

You love to see it. Especially since Lou had just locked up a lot of that Squad to long term deals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You love to see it. Especially since Lou had just locked up a lot of that Squad to long term deals. 

Lou was getting a lot of the credit for what the Isles have done, but outside of not screwing around and hiring Trotz as soon as he became available (who, much like Lemaire, brought a solid system with him), a good chunk of his personnel decisions as the Isles GM have been kinda meh.  And he did inherit a lot of Garth Snow’s players.

Feels like Lou’s reached a bit of a crossroads already with the Islanders…they’re capped out, a little old, and playing some awful hockey.  Curious to see what comes next.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lou was getting a lot of the credit for what the Isles have done, but outside of not screwing around and hiring Trotz as soon as he became available (who, much like Lemaire, brought a solid system with him), a good chunk of his personnel decisions as the Isles GM have been kinda meh.  And he did inherit a lot of Garth Snow’s players.

Feels like Lou’s reached a bit of a crossroads already with the Islanders…they’re capped out, a little old, and playing some awful hockey.  Curious to see what comes next.  

Did the same thing in Toronto, had a good foundation already with guys who pretty much matured when he took over, then boom, he's a hockey genius again. The dude has his blueprint and sticks to it. Problem is, the blueprints are from 2003 and, lets be honest, haven't really been renovated since.

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Did the same thing in Toronto, had a good foundation already with guys who pretty much matured when he took over, then boom, he's a hockey genius again. The dude has his blueprint and sticks to it. Problem is, the blueprints are from 2003 and, lets be honest, haven't really been renovated since.

In this case, I think he went for one too many oldsters (Parise, Chara, and Greene)…sure, they signed on for cheap, but the plan was clearly for them to all play.  Also wonder who he was bidding against with Palms.  Lou probably could’ve gotten him for a year or two.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In this case, I think he went for one too many oldsters (Parise, Chara, and Greene)…sure, they signed on for cheap, but the plan was clearly for them to all play.  Also wonder who he was bidding against with Palms.  Lou probably could’ve gotten him for a year or two.  

Lou is big on the “character players” but in today’s much faster and skill-driven NHL, those guys don’t make the same impact. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou is big on the “character players” but in today’s much faster and skill-driven NHL, those guys don’t make the same impact. 

I also think part of the problem was in the past (way in the past), Lou would hit on moves like these.  But it seems like in recent years, it’s been a lot of snake eyes.  One goal combined from Parise and Palms so far?  Yikes.