2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Trouba - playing a mans game and answering the bell the last two nights.  Thought last nights was clean (with a terrible result) and no question this one was too. Could only hope we stumble across a guy at some point who throws hits like this. Old school and answered the bell successfully both times. The good news is they got their sh!t kicked in tonight finally!

I feel like last night’s looked closer to being head contact, but this one was just a solid shoulder to the chest. 

Good on Landeskog that he stepped up for his boy, and that he absorbed a pretty good punch. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Jesus, Gary. Just let it go. The league has been propping that team up for a decade it feels like. Its time to admit the Arizona experiment didn’t work. 

Talk to Houston, talk to Quebec. Just figure it out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remember the John Spano/NY Islanders mess?  That was as embarrassing for the league as it gets.

First thing I thought of when I read this. The NHL has learned nothing from that embarrassment (there is an excellent 30 for 30 on the Spano mess too. I highly recommend it if you have never seen it).

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, titans04 said:

Trouba - playing a mans game and answering the bell the last two nights.  Thought last nights was clean (with a terrible result) and no question this one was too. Could only hope we stumble across a guy at some point who throws hits like this. Old school and answered the bell successfully both times. The good news is they got their sh!t kicked in tonight finally!

Looks like he had a "What would Scott Stevens do?" moment.

MAF just joined Marty and Roy as the only goalies to win 500 games.  He's now 37...he ain't ever breaking Marty's record, but I guess he has a shot at passing Roy, if he can hang on for a couple more seasons and still be reasonably effective (he goes UFA after this season).  He needs 53 more wins.

MAF just turned 37 towards the end of last month...for comparison's sake, at the same age (Marty's birthday is in May, so not like he got to play just after his 37th birthday, like MAF), Marty had won about 560 games.  Roy (whose b-day is 10/5) was around 520 wins.  Roy called it quits after his Age 37 season...and hadn't lost a thing physically, really.  He put up a .920 save% in his final year.  

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Roy called it quits after his Age 37 season...and hadn't lost a thing physically, really.  He put up a .920 save% in his final year.  

In fact, that save percentage was better than 4 of the 5 preceding seasons., and the third highest of his entire career (minus a 1.000% in his first appearance in relief, 2 saves on 2 shots) . That doesn't tell you how he felt physically, but if he was hurting, he was still certainly performing despite it.

Edited by mfitz804

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fact, that save percentage was better than 4 of the 5 preceding seasons., and the third highest of his entire career (minus a 1.000% in his first appearance in relief, 2 saves on 2 shots) . That doesn't tell you how he felt physically, but if he was hurting, he was still certainly performing despite it.

From what I've read here and there, it was apparently the mental grind that he couldn't take more...he was just that intense.  As far his abilities went, he did pretty much go out on top. 

By comparison Marty obviously hung on for a couple more seasons than he should have, but we know what the deal was...Devils were simply never able to develop an true young heir apparent from within, and the lockout is looming, so a beginning-to-decline Marty gets a two-year deal (and even Hedberg is re-signed, which obviously wasn't ideal, even though he'd been solid as a Devil previously), and due to all-around sentimentality (which I get, Marty was one of the best ever to play, and a huge part of the most successful part of the Devils' history), he was still treated as "The Man" by almost everyone, though it was obvious that he was no longer that player (and that Cory was by far the better player when they were both here, even though Cory didn't get the goal support he deserved). 

Lots of aging former stars don't leave gracefully, so not like Marty was alone, and I was never one to feel that those final rough years ever tarnished what came before.  But I always felt that in Roy's case, it was pretty cool that he was still a plenty fine puck-stopper when he walked away, without having any final "Shell of Himself" years on his ledger.    

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I remember correctly, he went out in overtime too. I want to say Andrew Brunette beat him to end his final run against the Wild. Roy was an amazing competitor. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Bettman is such a tool. ‘There’s no issue with the Arizona Coyotes’, he must really think anyone with eyes and ears that pays attention to the NHL/sports business is a fvcking moron to say something as blatantly ridiculous as that. Arrogant fvck. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bettman is such a tool. ‘There’s no issue with the Arizona Coyotes’, he must really think anyone with eyes and ears that pays attention to the NHL/sports business is a fvcking moron to say something as blatantly ridiculous as that. Arrogant fvck. 

I always wonder why commissioners (Goodell is the same way) insist on forever taking the "Nope, you're all wrong, what you're seeing isn't really how things are, whatever WE tell you, THAT'S how it is, we're smarter than everyone!" approach.  Arizona is a fvcking dumpster fire Gary...everyone can see it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I always wonder why commissioners (Goodell is the same way) insist on forever taking the "Nope, you're all wrong, what you're seeing isn't really how things are, whatever WE tell you, THAT'S how it is, we're smarter than everyone!" approach.  Arizona is a fvcking dumpster fire Gary...everyone can see it.  

We live in the era of the double down. People with massive egos can never admit when they’re wrong. That team is still in Arizona because of Gary Bettman’s ginormous ego, and for no other reason.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We live in the era of the double down. People with massive egos can never admit when they’re wrong. That team is still in Arizona because of Gary Bettman’s ginormous ego, and for no other reason.

The Double Douche

th?id=OIP.9kqxGNBiZBC-gxE_Z8EIAwHaDR&pid=Api&P=0&w=396&h=176

• Haha 1