2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

Far out scenario: Cary price for our number one pick and Montreal eats half the salary. Although Price would not likely agree to it. Any thoughts? I can't convince myself if it is worth it, Although I hear this upcoming draft is weak.

Only reason I was thinking about this is all the rebuild talk on Montreal radio and how they want out from Price's contract.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Far out scenario: Cary price for our number one pick and Montreal eats half the salary. Although Price would not likely agree to it. Any thoughts? I can't convince myself if it is worth it, Although I hear this upcoming draft is weak.

Only reason I was thinking about this is all the rebuild talk on Montreal radio and how they want out from Price's contract.

A guy who will be 35 years old and has managed a .909 save% over the past four seasons?  For a first-rounder?  Yeah that makes sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ok what about a second then? We currently have the worst goalie in the league according to advanced stats, so why not?

It’s a horrible idea.  You’re signing up for his Age 35 and beyond years, for FOUR MORE YEARS beyond this one, when he’s already showing clear signs of decline.  I’m open to the idea of bringing in a goalie from outside the organization, but not one whose best days are long behind him, and who only figures to get worse in the seasons to come.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s a horrible idea.  You’re signing up for his Age 35 and beyond years, for FOUR MORE YEARS beyond this one, when he’s already showing clear signs of decline.  I’m open to the idea of bringing in a goalie from outside the organization, but not one whose best days are long behind him, and who only figures to get worse in the seasons to come.  

I think it’s an excellent idea…

…if you want to have a third veteran goalie that won’t live up to his contract. 

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Right now Devils just need a glorified emergency goalie.  While not great, Blackwood will be back in a few days so not worth selling the farm for a guy like Price who is on the hook for several more years and is in the twilight of his career.

Exactly. Price is a panic move. But if they don’t trust Blackwood long term, there’s other options. The Bruins now have Swayman back in the AHL with Rask back. Ullmark and him were both playing well and one could be tradeable. I read an article saying Anthony Stolarz (of Edison NJ) could also be available from Anaheim and he’s had a good year as well plus a .918 career save %. 

There are much, much better options than trading a high pick for Price 

I would sit on Swayman if I was the Bruins for 70k next year. Who knows what Rask is going to do or if he'll come back next year. I'd keep him around but that's just me at least through the end of this season.   Stolarz really flamed out spending so many years in the flyers org never getting or earning the chance.  He's been around 8 years and only has 46 games under his belt. He may surely be interested in coming back to NJ but hopefully they end up making a good choice.  I wonder if they end up sitting in limbo to a certain degree waiting on Bernier.  Hopefully he can bail out early if it looks like he's not going to make it back. 

11 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ok what about a second then? We currently have the worst goalie in the league according to advanced stats, so why not?

Price was in the NHL player rehabilitation programme and had a major injury that he might not be able to come back from.

He hasn't played a game all year. It makes no sense on any level. None. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Price was in the NHL player rehabilitation programme and had a major injury that he might not be able to come back from.

He hasn't played a game all year. It makes no sense on any level. None. 

Have to agree, we are already paying a goalie to not play for the rest of the season, why would we want to do that a second time at a higher price?

That said, at least in the short term, we need to do something unless Schmid is ready to come off protocol. 

I actually had to look to see when this was going to be an issue since it feels like we haven’t played in like a month, turns out it’s today lol. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree, we are already paying a goalie to not play for the rest of the season, why would we want to do that a second time at a higher price?

That said, at least in the short term, we need to do something unless Schmid is ready to come off protocol. 

I actually had to look to see when this was going to be an issue since it feels like we haven’t played in like a month, turns out it’s today lol. 

Yeah I'm REALLY hoping to pleasantly surprised as I'm leaving the Isles' new digs tonight.  But it's just tough when you have a goalie who really has very little chance of getting the job done...goddamn, what a fvcking mess.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I'm REALLY hoping to pleasantly surprised as I've leaving the Isles' new digs tonight.  But it's just tough when you have a goalie who really has very little chance of getting the job done...goddamn, what a fvcking mess.  

Where’s Peter Sidorkiewicz when you need him??? 

(I remember back in the 90’s him getting an emergency call up from Albany and showing up during the middle of the 1st period)

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Where’s Peter Sidorkiewicz when you need him??? 

(I remember back in the 90’s him getting an emergency call up from Albany and showing up during the middle of the 1st period)

Lmao I remember that too!