2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

Anyone know what the fvck this means?

“Boucher, meanwhile, was allowed by the judge overseeing this case to enter a plea that will result in him serving no up-front jail time. And, if Boucher successfully completes his sentence, the charge will not appear on his criminal record.”

What is “up front” jail time? Does he have to do jail time on the back end? How does he “complete his sentence”? 

1 hour ago, point said:

What do these guys learn in school or on the street? S**t, back in the sixties it was common knowledge " sixteen will get you twenty,". I've  got a nephew who is a registered offender for underage interaction. Totally baffling. 

This wasn’t an “underage interaction”, the dude went into someone’s home, someone who provided him with a place to live so he could live out his dream, and he molested their daughter.

And then, the victim has the courage to speak about it, likely the hardest thing she will ever have to do, and they basically let him plead guilty and say “my bad” and the sentence was “nah it’s alright”. 

Someone should skate over his nuts. 

Every night. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone know what the fvck this means?

“Boucher, meanwhile, was allowed by the judge overseeing this case to enter a plea that will result in him serving no up-front jail time. And, if Boucher successfully completes his sentence, the charge will not appear on his criminal record.”

What is “up front” jail time? Does he have to do jail time on the back end? How does he “complete his sentence”? 

If you are sentenced to jail as a condition of probation, you might have to serve that time immediately, or you might be able to wait till the end of your probation. We call that “no upfront jail time.” In most cases, when jail time is supposed to be served at the end of your probation, it’s actually waived if you followed all the rules and conditions of your probation the whole time. The court is holding that over your head.

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If you are sentenced to jail as a condition of probation, you might have to serve that time immediately, or you might be able to wait till the end of your probation. We call that “no upfront jail time.” In most cases, when jail time is supposed to be served at the end of your probation, it’s actually waived if you followed all the rules and conditions of your probation the whole time. The court is holding that over your head.

We call it a suspended sentence here. Fvck that. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This wasn’t an “underage interaction”, the dude went into someone’s home, someone who provided him with a place to live so he could live out his dream, and he molested their daughter.

And then, the victim has the courage to speak about it, likely the hardest thing she will ever have to do, and they basically let him plead guilty and say “my bad” and the sentence was “nah it’s alright”. 

Someone should skate over his nuts. 

Every night. 

My nephew was 27yo at the time. BTW, age of consent in California is 18. No argument over your proposed sentence. His grandmother thought he should get a vasectomy at the least.

1 minute ago, point said:

My nephew was 27yo at the time. BTW, age of consent in California is 18. No argument over your proposed sentence. His grandmother thought he should get a vasectomy at the least.

Obviously all situations are different. If you’re 27-year-old nephew had sex with a “willing” 17-year-old, yes, he is still guilty of a sexual crime, but what Reid did was on another level. I would’ve snapped his neck. 

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'm old enough to remember when Ray, the leader of the 233 Crazies, used to hype the sh!t out of Boucher because of breaking Stamkos' junior goal scoring record (which many neglect to mention he did it as an overager).

I mean, still impressive, and still a precipitous fall once he reached the NHL. 

A tale of two league's marketing strategies to grow the game with their younger viewers:

NFL: "Let's put a game on Nickelodeon to attract kids!  We can put on fun, Nickelodeon-themed graphics, have age-appropriate announcers/sideline reporters and just make it a blast to watch for them!"

NHL: "Let's put a game on that requires not one, but TWO subscription services that their parents have to buy and have Leah Hextall announce it!"

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

A tale of two league's marketing strategies to grow the game with their younger viewers:

NFL: "Let's put a game on Nickelodeon to attract kids!  We can put on fun, Nickelodeon-themed graphics, have age-appropriate announcers/sideline reporters and just make it a blast to watch for them!"

NHL: "Let's put a game on that requires not one, but TWO subscription services that their parents have to buy and have Leah Hextall announce it!"

Was weird seeing so many people complain about the Nick NFL broadcast. I'm not an NFL fan but it's not like people were forced to watch that broadcast alone. 

Nick could do their version of the fox glow puck with slime if the NHL ever put a game on there lol

• Like 1

NHL still isn't capable of marketing itself properly - not sure how/why they still cannot seem to get the proper people in place to make the right decisions.  The "old boys club" clearly do not understand how to go about it.

I do see them making an effort to market Jack.  Hope they continue to do so, because he could be the next major American personality in the sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

NHL still isn't capable of marketing itself properly - not sure how/why they still cannot seem to get the proper people in place to make the right decisions.  The "old boys club" clearly do not understand how to go about it.

I do see them making an effort to market Jack.  Hope they continue to do so, because he could be the next major American personality in the sport.

Remember when the NHL made every NHL team a super hero to try to pull in more kids?

They unveiled it at the 2011 ASG and that's about as far as it went.  Even all the Stan Lee magic in the world couldn't have made 30 new superheroes who were forced into somehow reflecting their respective franchise interesting.  Shows that even the NHL marketing outside the Devils are often run by empty suits.  I swear, the marketing powers that be are probably the most out of touch with fans amongst the four major North American leagues by a country mile.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

They unveiled it at the 2011 ASG and that's about as far as it went.  Even all the Stan Lee magic in the world couldn't have made 30 new superheroes who were forced into somehow reflecting their respective franchise interesting.  Shows that even the NHL marketing outside the Devils are often run by empty suits.  I swear, the marketing powers that be are probably the most out of touch with fans amongst the four major North American leagues by a country mile.

Yeah it’s not even close. Hockey people are tone deaf as fvck. Also- is there a league out there that promotes their ‘original’ teams as a group the way the NHL does? While no one loves the history of the sport more than I do, I’m tired of having ORIGINAL 6 shoved down my throat at all turns. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah it’s not even close. Hockey people are tone deaf as fvck. Also- is there a league out there that promotes their ‘original’ teams as a group the way the NHL does? While no one loves the history of the sport more than I do, I’m tired of having ORIGINAL 6 shoved down my throat at all turns. 

Sure does seem like they market the hell out of those original six teams as the dispense of other franchises, doesn't it?

But then again, I think those 6 markets are still probably the breadwinners for the league so... I guess I get it.

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

29 years old, probably looking for at least 9M / year for 7/8 if this past offseason is any indication.

Per LeBrun: 

"...If they’re selling on Klingberg (which I think they will), the return package could be a first-round pick, a prospect plus maybe an additional pick. Just based on Savard fetching a first- and a third-round pick last year, it’s a reasonable ask for Dallas since Klingberg is a higher-level player.

I mean you'd have to lottery protect the pick if it was this year's pick.  Don't know if the Devils are in a position yet to be throwing around 1st round picks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Unrelated:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2279372/report-nhl-to-stop-testing-asymptomatic-players-after-all-star-break

Did the NHL actually beat the NFL to the punch here?  

Wow.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1