2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

The one black kid on my team in HS got teased mercilessly by rich entitled white kids, which was about 90% of who played hockey locally in the 90’s. It was disgusting and led to many many fistfights that he didn’t get involved in because he knew all of the parents would blame him for everything. 

• Angry 2

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The one black kid on my team in HS got teased mercilessly by rich entitled white kids, which was about 90% of who played hockey locally in the 90’s. It was disgusting and led to many many fistfights that he didn’t get involved in because he knew all of the parents would blame him for everything. 

That’s such a sad thing to read. And not surprising in the least.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Because that's what journalism is about. Getting to the bottom of what happened. All the reporter had to do was find out what was signaled. He's not very curious. Neither are you.

I’m curious, I can’t figure out what racist gestures there are. 

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

*Woman gets sexually harassed*

"Hmmm I really wonder what the guy said to her"

Weird fvckin look guys

Questions should be asked. People have been known to lie. Women are people. Blacks are people. 

Obviously, no one should be harassed. And maybe this hockey player did something cruel. I just want to know what it is. 

15 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

*Woman gets sexually harassed*

"Hmmm I really wonder what the guy said to her"

Weird fvckin look guys

What’s weird about wanting to hear the whole story?? I’m not doubting what happened in any manner, I’m just wondering why they aren’t telling the whole story. 

Edited by mfitz804

6 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Questions should be asked. People have been known to lie. Women are people. Blacks are people. 

Obviously, no one should be harassed. And maybe this hockey player did something cruel. I just want to know what it is. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s weird about wanting to hear the whole story?? I’m not doubting what happened in any manner, I’m just wondering why they aren’t telling the whole story. 

This isn't something that happened behind closed doors leading to a he-said-he-said situation. It happened during a live game and whatever racist gesture was made doesn't warrant acknowledgement or clarification. The player affected stated their feelings on the matter and frankly that's all we need to know about it. It's odd to obsess over wanting to know the exact gesture. It's irrelevant. I've said my piece, I leave it in peace

51 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This isn't something that happened behind closed doors leading to a he-said-he-said situation. It happened during a live game and whatever racist gesture was made doesn't warrant acknowledgement or clarification. The player affected stated their feelings on the matter and frankly that's all we need to know about it. It's odd to obsess over wanting to know the exact gesture. It's irrelevant. I've said my piece, I leave it in peace

That’s your opinion. To me, if you are going to tell a story, tell the story. I still don’t know what a “racist gesture” is. 

I also don’t think mentioning it equals obsessing over it. 

Edited by mfitz804

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s your opinion. To me, if you are going to tell a story, tell the story. I still don’t know what a “racist gesture” is. 

I also don’t think mentioning it equals obsessing over it. 

I agree, and will add, that a year or so ago there was a minority of people claiming the "OK" sign is a racist gesture. Obviously, you cant just take a generally agreed upon thing like that and turn it into something else, but it makes me somewhat skeptical. Like you said, tell the story.

The only racist "gesture" I can think of is doing something with your eyes to make them look "Asian".

I wasn’t even being skeptical about whether it happened, I legitimately didn’t know what the heck they were talking about. 

Jordan Subban talking about “monkey gestures” makes sense, I suppose in that context that would be a racist gesture. 

• Like 1

In the AHL the guy like a typical pu$$y instead of squaring up chose to from a distance did a peel a banana and then eat it "gesture" (if you wanna call it that).  I don't think us white people or at least myself or any of my friends would take offense to it the same way my non-white friends would. But hey that's just me.  If you look hard enough there are pictures of it. With that I'm outta your guys ongoing debate.

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

In the AHL the guy like a typical pu$$y instead of squaring up chose to from a distance did a peel a banana and then eat it "gesture" (if you wanna call it that).  I don't think us white people or at least myself or any of my friends would take offense to it the same way my non-white friends would. But hey that's just me.  If you look hard enough there are pictures of it. With that I'm outta your guys ongoing debate.

I’m still not sure there’s a debate at all…

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The most telling part of the video in there is that not one of that piece of garbage’s team mates stepped in when Subban and company went after him. You see red jerseys surround the guy and his team just kinda half heartedly reached in

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In other news, I love these Teddy Bear Toss videos. Check out who gives up the goal that triggers the toss. 

SWEET CUDDLY MAYHEM!!

What a fantastic goal call. Can we hire that guy?

And yeah, these teddy bear nights are great. My local ECHL team occasionally does them, and they have a police suv cruiser drive out onto the ice and they pack them into the back of it. I guess police departments like to have a teddy bear or stuffed animal or whatever in their vehicles to give to frightened and upset kids during certain domestic calls and whatnot.