2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah well obviously since he grabbed him. But still not worthy of a suspension

Was more than just the hand, but probably not suspension worthy. Just unfortunate who his “victim” was, he could miss significant time and/or be risking his career every time something like this happens. 

21 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Tyce Thompson's bro is quietly lighting the lamp this year. Tage has 16G 18A for 34 pts in 45 games on a pooptastic Buffalo team. He just net a hatty against COL.

Tyce is looking like he’s going to be a solid player. Hope his little bro is as talented. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:43 PM, mfitz804 said:

Was there even a phone call? MacKinnon should've been ejected for that. But because he is a superstar with a good reputation, nothing. It's disappointing that the Department of Player Safety never changes. 

So the Islanders are still not great and lost to MTL lol

I know they started on a long road trip because of the arena. But they still went 5-6-2 which is not the end of the world. They also dealt with injuries and Covid... like most teams did.

Truth is their recent moves are not panning out and already bitting them in the ass. Like i suspected it would.

Traded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Pageau and re-signed him to a long term deal... he has 15 pts this season and fans already hate the contract

Traded for an over the hill Palmieri and he's still terrible and extended 4 years lolol Zajac is not even there anymore. Remember that cost them a first round pick

Signed an over the chill Chara who plays way too much and he's really not playing well according to their fans.

Parise seem to be doing okay considering he's cheap and wasn't expected to do much.

According to this article i guess their PP was terrible early too

https://drive4five.blog/2021/11/22/new-york-islanders-season-barry-trotz-covd-19-ryan-pulock-david-lazar/

Overall, this all sound awfully familiar 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

No, but who gives a sh!t? Your obsession with our former GM (who’s been gone for 7 years) is super weird. 

We're in an around the league thread. They are in our division and were in conference final last year. So that they are struggling is relevant. If you wouldn't be triggered by it it would be a perfectly fine conversation

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We're in an around the league thread. They are in our division and were in conference final last year. So that they are struggling is relevant. If you wouldn't be triggered by it it would be a perfectly fine conversation

Then why aren’t you doing the same thing about Philly? 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Then why aren’t you doing the same thing about Philly? 

I actually did talk about Philly struggling somewhere not that long ago, and well they didn't go from Conference finals to not making the playoffs either, some had them favourite in the East this year. Also i talked about MTL struggling, obviously. Also talked about Nashville. Also about how Vegas are All-in right now and are clearly not considering their future at all and that once their players get old that they'll hit a wall. I talked about how i feel Colombus fvcked up letting Bob and Panarin walk for nothing, on top of trading for duchene and other guys thart year and making the playoffs by a point. Also talked about how Anaheim are in a tough spot this year cause they could challenge for a spot but at the same time have multiple UFA with value and that clearly their success is in the future and debated if they should go for it or not. I also talked about how Sakic has been very conservative in the past, holding on to assets knowing he had a strong team but that if they didnt win at all that maybe he should have been bold and trade Byram when he should have, considering he got a concussion and hasnt been the same since, etc etc

I talk about a LOT of teams. The problem is just at the second i mention something related to Lou you guys lose your sh!t that it's relevant or not, and you guys make it a thing. My post was perfectly fine and within the subject of this thread. You could have just ignore it or comment on it as if its any other team

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Jesus, who the fvck cares? It’s a relevant post about how another team “around the league” sucks. Why make it another opportunity to start a pages long debate about whether @SterioDesignalks about Lou too much? 

There’s a reason this board is down to like 7 people that post here anymore. Folks can only take reading the same sh!t over and over and over and over and over again so many times. But by all means - defend your client, counselor. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There’s a reason this board is down to like 7 people that post here anymore. Folks can only take reading the same sh!t over and over and over and over and over again so many times. But by all means - defend your client, counselor. 

You turned this into a drama. Nobody else. My post was perfectly fine and relevant to this thread. A very good team made a series of moves in the offseason that didn't pan out. Isn't it great to see that it's happening to other teams too?

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Post whatever the fvck you want, but if people find you exhausting don’t be surprised if they let you know. 

Great logic. You're exhausted about a subject and don't want to hear about it anymore but when it's indirectly brought up, you focus JUST on that, start whining about it and making it a thing again. When you could have just let it go.

When you order a pizza, do you order it with onions even if you hate onions just so you can make a scene about having onions on your pizza? What a weird life. 

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yea, but like 4 of that 7 are pretty cool 😎!! Right? Right!?

The Simpsons Flirting GIF

• Haha 3

I honestly don’t know anyone who thought Lou was making smart moves with Parise, Chara and Palms.

Pageau fell off a cliff, and without looking at supporting numbers, I feel like this year is more his off year than the norm, but could be wrong.

Lou’s got a mold, sticks to it, and it hasn’t worked a single time since the series of lockouts. Dude’s a legend, but legacy can only get you so far.

As far as the Isles go, understood Lou dealing for Palms and Zajac, strictly with 2020-21 in mind...a classic "right now" deal that contending teams often make.  Palms was having a meh year with the Devils, but wasn't that far removed from his productive seasons, and he did wind up coming to life a bit in the playoffs (7 goals in 19 GP).  Zajac had put up 14 points in 16 games leading up to the trade.  It wasn't crazy to think that they could've helped, especially from a pure depth standpoint...yeah, it cost them a first-rounder, but it was a lower first-rounder, and given that the Islanders are a win-now team, did they really need to hang onto to that pick, so that they could nab a Chase Stillman-type?  Obviously you don't want to keep dealing off ALL of your first-round picks, but I don't have an issue with contending teams occasionally going for it...Isles were one win away from going to the SCF.  

That being said, I have no idea what Lou was thinking when he re-upped Palms for four years @ $5 million per.  If Lou had signed him to one-year @ $6 million, that I could've understood.  But Palms looked iffy enough in 2020-21 (potential decline candidate) that I don't know who Lou was bidding against when he signed Palms to that deal.  I would've just offered him one year or let him walk.    

Re:  Chara and Parise...those "bargain" former upper-echelon player signings tend to turn into a "get what you pay for" scenario in a hurry.  Sure, you only paid a combined $1.5 million for the two of them, and I'm sure Lou adjusted expectations accordingly, but are those guys really helping you all that much?  Parise's actually managed to notch some points as of late (10 in his last 17 GP), but I would've steered clear of him myself...he seems like he's more or less on fumes as this point.  Ditto Chara.  

Isles still have of all of their 1sts and three 2nds coming up over their next three drafts (for now), so not like they're totally screwed from that standpoint.  They do have a lot of guys locked up, and given the talent level of the roster, not so sure that's a good thing...yes, they've gotten to a couple of Conference Finals, but it feels like they may have gone as far as they can with this group.  And going off this year's numbers, I'm hard-pressed to figure out what exactly the Isles do well, given the number of players who are signed long-term.  

36 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Also interesting in our division.., Pittsburgh has a ton of UFAs coming up including Malkin and Letang. They are pretty securely set for the playoffs so it’ll be interesting to see how they play this. Could be the end of an era

A ton of UFAs indeed:

Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's a tough call...they haven't won squat in the playoffs for a while now, though of course, they keep on putting up fine regular season records. 

Keep Malkin, Letang and others (and go all-in) and this year probably represents your best chance to win for a while; blow it up, are you killing any chance of Crosby ever being part of another Cup winner in Pittsburgh?  Can you get solid returns/future assets for guys like Malkin and Letang?  Malkin misses his fair share of games and is now 35 years old...Letang will soon turn 35.  Malkin has NMC and Letang can submit a list of 18 teams he'd be willing to be traded to, so there's that as well.

I get the feeling that because they're still plenty competitive, they take their chances with what they got, and brace for whatever happens this offseason.