2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

On 3/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do like that he hasn't appeared to take any major strides forward just yet:

Alexis Lafreniere Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2020-21:  1.19 shots per game

2021-22:  1.31 shots per game

Almost exactly the same amount of ice time per game per season as well.  And only 13 assists in 108 GP to date?  

I'm curious to see if he's able to show significant improvement in Year 3 (Age 21 season).  

And just for the hell of it, Lafreniere vs. Hughes through 108 GP

Lafreniere:  25 G, 13 A, 38 Pts, 1.25 SPG, 18.5 shooting%

Hughes:  18 G, 35 A, 53 Pts, 2.30 SPG, 7.3 shooting%

Didn't even bother with +/- because one team clearly has MUCH better goaltending than the other.  

This isn't an attempt to build up Lafreniere in any way, more just doing some recon on the enemy.  What was great in Jack's case is that even with some struggles in both Year 1 and Year 2 of his career, there were things to build off:  he was setting up opportunities that others weren't finishing, he was already getting a respectable amount of SOG, and his shooting% only figured to improve with time and experience.  There was plenty of reason to hope, even with the obvious rough edges on display, and Hughes clearly went to a team that was drafting #1 overall for a reason (because the Devils were lousy)...he got significant ice team right away and much more of it in his second year (over 19 minutes per game), which hasn't been the case with Lafreniere.  And of course not like the Devils had always done right by Hughes initially (having him play wing, for example).  

Like Nicomo noted, Lafreniere is playing on a team with considerable talent already...guess one can make the argument that the Rangers have the luxury of bringing him along more slowly (he ranks 8th in ice time among Ranger forwards and is getting less than 14 minutes per game), but if he stops converting the limited chances he's getting at such a high rate, what semi-respectable numbers he's managed to date will drop off...and make the Ranger faithful plenty restless I would imagine.  

Before Gallant finally moved him up, he was playing on a third line that couldn't score. 

Lafreniere has improved defensively. He comes back and breaks up plays, gets takeaways and never passes up an opportunity to finish a check. 

He isn't on the level of Hughes, whose game-breaking speed combined with his skill make him dangerous. He is a lot more instinctive in Year 3. That's why you see the growth into a superstar. I really enjoy watching him. 

Lafreniere has a strong work ethic. He might not be getting many shots. But he's thinking shot more and going to the net. He's gritty and skilled. He has a great shot. Adjusting to playing the right side in only Year 2 is a process. He's getting it. 

Only Kreider has more even strength goals than Lafreniere. All 13 of his goals are ES. He doesn't get any top power play which they rely on heavily. If they bumped him up for Strome, he'd get a few more. 

Compared to Hughes, he's a different player. I always give the edge to the center because they have the puck more. Hughes is a special player. The hype was real. Lafreniere was overhyped (Canadian Factor). But will be a good scorer. He could be a future captain. Very mature.

A thought on Mercer. I followed him from the WJC and thought he'd be a good playmaking top 6 guy. That Ruff had enough sense to bump him up to the first line and shift Mercer over to RW was smart. You don't waste a good young talent on the third line due to his position. For the Devils, it made sense to play him higher. He's a bit like Barzal. Shifty. A steal. 

17 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Before Gallant finally moved him up, he was playing on a third line that couldn't score. 

Lafreniere has improved defensively. He comes back and breaks up plays, gets takeaways and never passes up an opportunity to finish a check. 

He isn't on the level of Hughes, whose game-breaking speed combined with his skill make him dangerous. He is a lot more instinctive in Year 3. That's why you see the growth into a superstar. I really enjoy watching him. 

Lafreniere has a strong work ethic. He might not be getting many shots. But he's thinking shot more and going to the net. He's gritty and skilled. He has a great shot. Adjusting to playing the right side in only Year 2 is a process. He's getting it. 

Only Kreider has more even strength goals than Lafreniere. All 13 of his goals are ES. He doesn't get any top power play which they rely on heavily. If they bumped him up for Strome, he'd get a few more. 

Compared to Hughes, he's a different player. I always give the edge to the center because they have the puck more. Hughes is a special player. The hype was real. Lafreniere was overhyped (Canadian Factor). But will be a good scorer. He could be a future captain. Very mature.

A thought on Mercer. I followed him from the WJC and thought he'd be a good playmaking top 6 guy. That Ruff had enough sense to bump him up to the first line and shift Mercer over to RW was smart. You don't waste a good young talent on the third line due to his position. For the Devils, it made sense to play him higher. He's a bit like Barzal. Shifty. A steal. 

Oh I get it's not an apples-to-apples comparison...that's why I mentioned the much lower ice time for Lafreniere.  And they have largely different skillsets.

Also like I mentioned in my post, it's not like Lafreniere found himself going to a "typical" #1OA situation.  The irony with Hughes is that you can make the argument that even with Devils not being a very good team, there was some talent there when he first arrived...Hall was still there, Palms was still productive, Hischier had a couple of years under his belt...but we know what happened with Hall (traded, and that's worked out for the Devils, really...Hall's put up 101 points in 144 GP since being dealt), and Palms' glamour numbers more or less evaporated.  But without going into even more details about why the Devils have largely sucked most of the last several years, Hughes was in a situation where he was going to get ice time and get a lot of it, out of pure necessity.  Fortunately he's developed nicely along the way to justify continuing to get it (as opposed to "Well, we gotta play him, even if he's not making much visible progress"). 

Lafreniere's situation is different, in that the Rangers don't have to ask too much of him, or need him to figure things out quickly...they're not counting on him for production and they can take their time with him...to me, I consider the Age 18-20 years in the NHL "bonus" years, as far as developing at the NHL level goes...for those higher-up picks, if they've gotten considerable time as teens, it's around 21-23 that I really want to see progress...I can deal with 2 or 3 season of lumps and occasionally looking completely overmatched...some kids almost need that, after being used to chewing up and spitting out lower leagues.  Devils have seen Hughes truly figure things out, a year ahead of schedule (still only 20).  Feels like Nico's taking some offensive steps forward too, in his Age 22-23 season...he has 35 points in his last 42 GP (14 points over his last 11 GP)...this season's 0.76 points-per-game rate is his best so far.

But yeah, short answer, strictly from an objective standpoint...can't really go too crazy either way about Lafreniere either way.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Don’t know either one, does either have any kind of hockey pedigree?

"Beaver Radio Network play-by-play announcer Kelly Schultz was named the 2019 Kwame McDonald Media Award winner by the Minnesota Coalition of Women in Athletic Leadership. The award is given to members of the media who have supported and promoted girls’ and women’s sports."

Erica is a New York-based freelance multimedia journalist covering women’s basketball & hockey, and soccer for outlets such as The New York Times, Sports Illustrated, The Athletic, espnW, The Washington Post, and is the Hockey Friday writer for The IX Newsletter.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Absolutely no way they should be selling low on Ty Smith. 

I'm still concerned that for the heck of THE STORY... we would consider a Ty+Bratt for Quinn trade... 
i'm conflicted coz that would be way too much a price to pay... but i do love great story ; ) 

(but as i'm french.. that story will end in a really sad manner ... sorry in advance) 

2 hours ago, moustic said:

I'm still concerned that for the heck of THE STORY... we would consider a Ty+Bratt for Quinn trade... 
i'm conflicted coz that would be way too much a price to pay... but i do love great story ; ) 

(but as i'm french.. that story will end in a really sad manner ... sorry in advance) 

Last year Bratt, maybe. But not now. 

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:
Absolutely no way they should be selling low on Ty Smith. 

Agree completely.

I've said it many times, but I REALLY need to see what these guys can do with a real fvcking coaching staff...injuries (especially to the goalies) have been a problem, but I feel strongly that The Three Stooges have gotten about as little out of this group as possible. 

If Smith's game is still iffy in a couple of years, then yeah, fair to wonder if he's going to be any good.  But I'm not giving up on him this early, no way...especially when he's been working with a complete zilch.  

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Bratt can't go anywhere. He's elevated himself into the untouchable category, and we don't have many of those guys. 

There would be no point in trading him, he’s the kind of player you are hoping to get back in a trade. But we already have him lol. 

I can’t think of any player I would want back in exchange, with the exception of maybe 10-12 elite players who are similarly on their teams’ untouchable lists. 

I feel like extending him should be a top priority. Question is this, have you bought in fully where you want to lock him in long term, or are you giving him a shorter deal to see if this year’s results are the outlier rather than a picture of what you’ll get in the future? 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3